• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Superly overweight boa. HUGE!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
This is princess. Not mine but I will be the only one to most likely take her. But for now I need a huge enclosure and I do not have that just yet. So give it till spring. I'm going to be breeding her with my male salmon/hypo orange tail bci boa. He's a tad bigger than 5ft. She's not for sale thank god. But she's 9ft. 48lbs. The Largest bci boa iv seen and definitely held. She is sweet. But heavy and powerful. 2 man snake. And she's on a diet. Previous owner fed her to often and to big. He fed her 12-15lb rabbits every 2 weeks. I have her on 1 jumbo rat every 3. So hopefully shell slim up to a healthy size. her girth is outrageous. The Pic of me holding her. Look at my hand. That's her UPPER body. Her girth is slightly above that.

Last edited by a moderator:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's beautiful :heart:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is beautiful! Definitely one of the biggest I have seen.:)

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Oh, what a Jewel! She is so beautiful! Let us see how you house her please? I had a South American Iguana years ago when it was legal. Reptiles are fascinating, aren't they?
Katherine

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She is very pretty!

Matt

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
She's in a 6 by 3 by 4 as of now. It's not set up yet but has a heating sorce and water. But when I set things up I will definitely post it. I mimicked south American wet lands for my anacondas enclosure. So I have plans for this gal.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Oh, what a Jewel! She is so beautiful! Let us see how you house her please? I had a South American Iguana years ago when it was legal. Reptiles are fascinating, aren't they?Katherine
They truly are! I can't point out what I love so much about them. Which is weird. But for some reason I'm amazed. Essp everyday that I see my Girls grow bigger and bigger.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Wow, she's beautiful, Ryan! How old is she?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Holy smokes, she could kill a man.:scared4: The biggest one I have seen was here in FL. It spanned someones entire hallway!

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Wow, she's beautiful, Ryan! How old is she?
I belive she's 4 or 5. She was at a mans house where she was cramped in a 3 by 3 cage. And barly fed. Then when she went to the next persons. She was power and over fed. So she reached this outrageous size. But shes in good hands now. She's on one jumbo rat every 3 weeks rather than a 15 lb bunny every 2.

PeaceLoveDreamer

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jacqui
Wow she is gorgeous. I have never in my life seen a "fat" snake, but she definitely is one. It's crazy, actually. The difference between her and all the boas I have encountered is amazing.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
Wow she is gorgeous. I have never in my life seen a "fat" snake, but she definitely is one. It's crazy, actually. The difference between her and all the boas I have encountered is amazing.
Your telling me! Lol. Iv been to expos and acually searched for a giant boa. So I just purchased a large specimen of boa as a baby. Shell grow out. Then 4 months later this monster shows up. I traded a corn snake for it. NOT CYLAX. One of the stores. I made a deal with my boss. I bought the corn and then traded it for her. My boss is gonna house her till I have an enclosure worthy of her size. And I won't make exceptions. Has to be the right one. But the deal was if he let me do this I have to give him first pick of the litter. Was told she was het albino. I k ow my hypo is het albino. So if she proves out we should have 2-3 albino bci's Shoot maybe even 4-5 giving her size. Best part about her size is when she becomes gravid and does not eat for 3-4 months. Shell definitely be fine. Haha

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
Your telling me! Lol. Iv been to expos and acually searched for a giant boa. So I just purchased a large specimen of boa as a baby. Shell grow out. Then 4 months later this monster shows up. I traded a corn snake for it. NOT CYLAX. One of the stores. I made a deal with my boss. I bought the corn and then traded it for her. My boss is gonna house her till I have an enclosure worthy of her size. And I won't make exceptions. Has to be the right one. But the deal was if he let me do this I have to give him first pick of the litter. Was told she was het albino. I k ow my hypo is het albino. So if she proves out we should have 2-3 albino bci's Shoot maybe even 4-5 giving her size. Best part about her size is when she becomes gravid and does not eat for 3-4 months. Shell definitely be fine. Haha
Honestly at her age she should probably only be eating once per month. I have an adult female that's around 8 years old, 8 feet long and 30ish pounds, she eats once a month. If I offer more often, she ignores it. Once they reach their peak length, they shouldn't be fed very often. Also, its winter, so brumation might be a good idea. I see you live in an area that doesnt get too cold, but if you look it up you can find ways to simulate and cause brumation. It is also healthier for a brumated snake to breed than a non-brumated snake.

Good luck with her :)

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
I put them under every 2 years. I understand your point of view. I really do. But everyone has diffrent husbandry techniques. Hybernation can be EXTREAMLLY stressful and unrewarding if not done properly. I live in a warmer climate And as well breed during winter months. (3rd week of December I pair em up) and iv been told that every 2 years Is better than never like most do. But Sonya my other large bci is gonna hibernate this year. But she's not breeding either. Iv seen your Suri though. Might I add she's beautiful. I have one female myself. Monster peaked. And your absolutely correct about once a month. Acually she could go 10 feedings a year. Wild boas and anacondas often feed but 5 times a year. But she's used to eating alot. So I have to gradually set down until she's down to proper prey size and how often she's fed. There no room here for a 9ft 50lb hungry and angry boa. lolBut thankyou. I'm lookig fwd to helping this gal. My first true reptile rescue.

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
I put them under every 2 years. I understand your point of view. I really do. But everyone has diffrent husbandry techniques. Hybernation can be EXTREAMLLY stressful and unrewarding if not done properly. I live in a warmer climate And as well breed during winter months. (3rd week of December I pair em up) and iv been told that every 2 years Is better than never like most do. But Sonya my other large bci is gonna hibernate this year. But she's not breeding either. Iv seen your Suri though. Might I add she's beautiful. I have one female myself. Monster peaked. And your absolutely correct about once a month. Acually she could go 10 feedings a year. Wild boas and anacondas often feed but 5 times a year. But she's used to eating alot. So I have to gradually set down until she's down to proper prey size and how often she's fed. There no room here for a 9ft 50lb hungry and angry boa. lolBut thankyou. I'm lookig fwd to helping this gal. My first true reptile rescue.
I am glad you are so knowledgeable about reptiles. I was giving advice as though this was something new for you. Sorry if I underestimated your intelligence. Also thanks for the compliment on my Suri. She really is my baby. My snakes brumate naturally every year. I could try to feed them but they put themselves under and wake up when the sun cycle come back to normal. But really, best of luck with her. I did reptile rescue before I got into birds, but now I just don't have the time. It really is rewarding.

Conurekidd

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
I'm no rescue lol. Just a snake lover. I love reptiles but truly love snakes. Birds are family. Lol. I was raised around them. I'm starting the generation of reptiles. Ima second generation bird lover 3rd generation fish lover. I just love large species of snakes. Anacondas and boas inparticular. I'd like a argentine one day. But no offence taken At all!! I'm no expert and still fairly new to the hobby. Just unlike most I research everything about them. I mean everything. And working at a petstore I like to tell the truth and provide the most help possiable. So I need to know about all animals and more than your basic husbandry. So don't apologize for assuming anything. I'll always take a helping hand. Thankyou very much

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
awesome pictures!!!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
She's beautiful and looks in perfect weight. My moms Columbian red tail is 7 years old, 9ft long and over 60#s that last we checked 2 years ago. As long as the scales are closing over eachother with no gaps showing fleshy under skin between, she's healthy :D Any skinnier, I personally would consider her under weight :) My moms Lilly gets two F/T jumbo rats a month. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.