• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Strange poop

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
@Pixiebeak
I talked to the vet today about the chronic egg laying. She basically had the same advice as everyone has. Rearrange cage, no dark areas, no bedding , etc. etc. Then of course try hormones if that doesnt work and so on.

Last edited:

Rebel

Eggs , normal but scary . Cockatiel being prone chronic laying must be so stressful..

Nutrition should be a big focus. I definitely want to hear your veterinarian tips and plan with chronic layers to help increase my knowledge. Definitely lots of folks have sane issues.

I don't know if metabolic stuff is affecting kidneys? Or infection. But even with eggs urates should not look like your girls do .

Glad to hear still doing well otherwise.
I didnt think to ask the vet about the possible effects on the kidneys. She was about an hour behind her schedule and i felt a bit rushed. Im not sure she would have had an answer anyhow. Shes not a dedicated avian vet come to find out.
She suggested probiotics , as did you. I wonder if that will straighten out her odd urates?

Last edited:

Rebel

Went to the vet today. Showed her my pictures of poop. She tested her for parasites and bacteria. Negative for both. She suggested i give her probiotics to see if that helps. In the meantime she prescribed her antibiotics just in case? Metronidazole, a dose of 0.02 ml every 12 hrs for 10 days. Its the first time ive been to this vet. Shes not a dedicated avian vet so im not sure how well equipped she is to do x-rays etc.
Her poop isnt real real watery like it was but the urate part is still broken up and odd looking. No bubbles. I showed the vet the picture of the poop with bubbles , she didnt really have anything to say about that.

Rebel

Day 2 of antibiotics. Her poop is small , extremely dark and not watery. Assuming the antibiotics are making all of these changes. Shes eating and drinking normally.

Attachments