• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Strange poop

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
This is a picture of my female cockatiels poop. Its from this evening. Very odd looking. Poop was poop to me until i joined this amazing community. I never realized how much poop can tell you. If anyone can tell me why her poop looks like this, i would be grateful.
I would also like mention, shes a chronic egg layer.
Earlier today she had some tail bobbing for a short time.
IMG_3699.jpeg

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Stringy urates like that make me worry about a bacterial infection.

poop abnormal.jpg

Rebel

Are there any other symptoms of bacterial infection that you know of?
Ill see what they look like tomorrow. Seems like she has ever changing poops depending upon what she ate that day. I should have been but never really was one to study poops until i started reading some of these horror stories.
As I mentioned in my original post, she was tail bobbing for a little while. About 20 minutes or so. I thought maybe she was stressed from me rearranging her cage in order to try and break her egg laying stint.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm sure there other symptoms are, but poops are definitely one of them. Changes in behavior or appetite would be another early sign.

Droppings definitely do change based on what they ate, their mood, etc. Color and consistency both will be effected. It's always good to look for a good 24-48 hours at fresh droppings, and keep a log of what their eating those days, to see if you can notice any pattern. One weird poop isn't usually alarming unless it's bloody, but if you are getting multiple abnormal droppings, a vet is always going to be the best course of action.

Rebel

I'm sure there other symptoms are, but poops are definitely one of them. Changes in behavior or appetite would be another early sign.

Droppings definitely do change based on what they ate, their mood, etc. Color and consistency both will be effected. It's always good to look for a good 24-48 hours at fresh droppings, and keep a log of what their eating those days, to see if you can notice any pattern. One weird poop isn't usually alarming unless it's bloody, but if you are getting multiple abnormal droppings, a vet is always going to be the best course of action.
Ok. Ill do that. Ill log everything for a couple of days. Thank you so much for your help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You're welcome! Keep us updated :hug8:

Rebel

You're welcome! Keep us updated :hug8:
Ill do that. I hate when people dont come back with a conclusion.
Im still waiting to see what happened with the parakeet that got attacked by her sisters cat.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Poops may change a lot and have differences in a normal range.

But these urates are abnormal, no matter what , and seems to be polyuria as well, and feces is pretty darn dark . And I see a bubble.

Rebel

Poops may change a lot and have differences in a normal range.

But these urates are abnormal, no matter what , and seems to be polyuria as well, and feces is pretty darn dark . And I see a bubble.
Shes pooping quite a bit. I think the bubble may have been a fluke. As you can see in this picture, the feces isnt nearly as dark. I think the dark ones MAY have been from the broccoli she ate yesterday? Shes not real interest in seed today. She ate a piece of plain white toast, one rice chex ( her favorite thing in the world) , some white rice and some millet. I didnt want to give her anything watery like vegetables today. BTW there are bits of millet in the poop that was on the floor. IMG_3707.jpeg

Rebel

Shes pooping quite a bit. I think the bubble may have been a fluke. As you can see in this picture, the feces isnt nearly as dark. I think the dark ones MAY have been from the broccoli she ate yesterday? Shes not real interest in seed today. She ate a piece of plain white toast, one rice chex ( her favorite thing in the world) , some white rice and some millet. I didnt want to give her anything watery like vegetables today. BTW there are bits of millet in the poop that was on the floor. View attachment 443185
Also, my vet has number to text to. I texted them a picture but i havent heard back from them.

Rebel

Also, she ate some of these yesterday. I dont know if the color in them have anything to do with the dark poop. IMG_3708.png

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Whatever those crisps are , I wouldn't give them .. probably all that dye collected the one poop weird.

But your bird is definitely having abnormal urates and polyuria. I think your veterinarian will want to do something.

I'm on the side of caution when it comes to rice. I just don't give mine rice unless I'm having it for dinner cooked fresh then they might get a couple of cooked grains. Rice has bacteria, even when cooked , and especially grows when stored cooked . Birds are more sensitive to that bacteria than us . Plus it's not really providing any nutrition.

Thanks for sharing, it helps lots of people to see examples like this .

Let us know what vet says.

Rebel

Whatever those crisps are , I wouldn't give them .. probably all that dye collected the one poop weird.

But your bird is definitely having abnormal urates and polyuria. I think your veterinarian will want to do something.

I'm on the side of caution when it comes to rice. I just don't give mine rice unless I'm having it for dinner cooked fresh then they might get a couple of cooked grains. Rice has bacteria, even when cooked , and especially grows when stored cooked . Birds are more sensitive to that bacteria than us . Plus it's not really providing any nutrition.

Thanks for sharing, it helps lots of people to see examples like this .

Let us know what vet says.
Thanks for the rice info. I didnt know all that. I hate to give a play by play but im going to post another picture. Turns out the bubble in the first picture wasnt a fluke. This picture will show lots of bubbles. However, her poops after this picture had no bubbles at all. My “vet” has yet to reply to my text. Ill have to call them tomorrow. Or i may end up calling one of the vets sunnysmom recommend to me. I dont have alot of faith in my current vet. Thank you much for sharing your knowledge thus far.

Attachments

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
People have different opinions and experiences, I'm just sharing mine , it's always good to crowd source .

Something is definitely up health wise, be it a kidney bacterial infection, a gi bacterial infection, a yeast overgrowth, or a combo, or something else.

Because your cockatiel is used to eating more than just seeds. I would suggest giving some plain Greek yogurt, must have no artificial sweetener, and should have live cultures , I like one of them to be acidophilus. A half teaspoon a day or even twice a day for about five days .

It is not going to cure anything. But it might help balance gut bacteria.

I offer from my finger and dab a bit on beak and wait. They most seem to decide they like and lick it up . After that I can put a dab down for them or still just offer from my finger..I have done this over 20 years , I always give while the have antibiotics, I do randomly here there otherwise when I'm having some. It is safe, can be found on many parrot food lists. If it freaks you out, don't do it .

I have found it helpful. I didn't have postive affects with bird pro biotics, I e tried a few. But I'm sure there are better brands I haven't. But I do see postive results when I use yogurt. I think it's worthwhile to give it a try.

Again, not a cure. Your bird definitely needs evaluated by a veterinarian and probably some treatment based on what they think is going on.

But it might help a little, especially since I think those crisp and dye fussed gi some . Possible rice fussed gi some .( note other people feed rice and feel fine about it, I just don't, it's just carbs , and I rather they get that with other foods) Not the whole answer to what I think you have going on .

Anyway if you give it a try and see some positive results, let me know..

Rebel

“People have different opinions and experiences, I'm just sharing mine , it's always good to crowd source”

Your opinion is greatly appreciated. More than you could ever know.

I actually bought some greek yogurt because of what i read you say in another thread. I was going to ask you about it again to be sure its the thing to do.

she loves rice. I dont give her a meals worth, just a few pieces like you do. I have given her reheated rice not knowing any different. I wont do that again. Ill do like you and give her a couple pieces when we first cook it. I understand it has no nutritional value. Its just something she enjoys. I want her and the others to have the happiest life i can provide.

Meanwhile , ill give her some yogurt until i can get a vet appt. Ill report back on the yogurt findings. Hopefully she’ll eat it.

Rebel

People have different opinions and experiences, I'm just sharing mine , it's always good to crowd source .

Something is definitely up health wise, be it a kidney bacterial infection, a gi bacterial infection, a yeast overgrowth, or a combo, or something else.

Because your cockatiel is used to eating more than just seeds. I would suggest giving some plain Greek yogurt, must have no artificial sweetener, and should have live cultures , I like one of them to be acidophilus. A half teaspoon a day or even twice a day for about five days .

It is not going to cure anything. But it might help balance gut bacteria.

I offer from my finger and dab a bit on beak and wait. They most seem to decide they like and lick it up . After that I can put a dab down for them or still just offer from my finger..I have done this over 20 years , I always give while the have antibiotics, I do randomly here there otherwise when I'm having some. It is safe, can be found on many parrot food lists. If it freaks you out, don't do it .

I have found it helpful. I didn't have postive affects with bird pro biotics, I e tried a few. But I'm sure there are better brands I haven't. But I do see postive results when I use yogurt. I think it's worthwhile to give it a try.

Again, not a cure. Your bird definitely needs evaluated by a veterinarian and probably some treatment based on what they think is going on.

But it might help a little, especially since I think those crisp and dye fussed gi some . Possible rice fussed gi some .( note other people feed rice and feel fine about it, I just don't, it's just carbs , and I rather they get that with other foods) Not the whole answer to what I think you have going on .

Anyway if you give it a try and see some positive results, let me know..
Got a vet appt for March 5th. The girl said as long as shes eating and drinking she should be alright until then. Do you agree?

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Got a vet appt for March 5th. The girl said as long as shes eating and drinking she should be alright until then. Do you agree?
Yes,unless drops weight, stops eating, goes fluffed.
But yes I hope will,
watch for any changes tho. Everybody seems to have to wait these days ,

Rebel

Yes,unless drops weight, stops eating, goes fluffed.
But yes I hope will,
watch for any changes tho. Everybody seems to have to wait these days ,
Shes been eating and drinking. No fluff. Very active when i have her out.Just a few minutes ago she started tail bobbing as she shes sitting on my leg. I thought, what the heck is going on now. Before i knew it, an egg rolled off my leg and onto the floor. I mentioned before , shes a chronic egg layer. No rhythm no rhyme. Never know when theres going to be an egg. This is egg number 17. Its one of her issues i will be discussing with the vet. If you have any thoughts on that subject, im all ears.

I almost forgot to mention, she wont eat yogurt. I put some on her beak, she got a taste of it and shook the rest off. A little bit went in her eye when she shook it off. I think it might have burned a bit. Now she’ll hate it for sure.

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Eggs , normal but scary . Cockatiel being prone chronic laying must be so stressful..

Nutrition should be a big focus. I definitely want to hear your veterinarian tips and plan with chronic layers to help increase my knowledge. Definitely lots of folks have sane issues.

I don't know if metabolic stuff is affecting kidneys? Or infection. But even with eggs urates should not look like your girls do .

Glad to hear still doing well otherwise.

Rebel

Eggs , normal but scary . Cockatiel being prone chronic laying must be so stressful..

Nutrition should be a big focus. I definitely want to hear your veterinarian tips and plan with chronic layers to help increase my knowledge. Definitely lots of folks have sane issues.

I don't know if metabolic stuff is affecting kidneys? Or infection. But even with eggs urates should not look like your girls do .

Glad to hear still doing well otherwise.
For now i can tell you what my former vet suggested for chronic egg laying. The first time i was there she suggested hormone shots. If memory serves me correctly, the shots were good for 6wks. The tech told me the shots will not work unless you do other things like changing her cage around, changing diet, changing sleep hours etc., i figured the changing of everything is whats making the difference, not some shot. So i declined the shots and did the changes. It worked that particular time. The next time i went to the vet ( with a different bird with a different issue) i brought up the egg laying again. She said they now off an implant that supposed to last 3 months i believe. Of course i never gave that a second thought. My bird is no one’s guinea pig.
That being said, i shall see what this vet has to say.

Also, ill will post another poop picture later after she gets up if there is a difference in appearance. I will discard the first morning poop.

Last edited: