• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Stole my cat and dumped him as a stray

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
4 years ago I rescued a 4 week old kitten and brought it home. A year ago, he went missing, and we never saw him again. Yesterday afternoon, I finally found out what happened to him. A neighbour of ours caught him, drove him about 15 kilometers out of town, and dumped him, leaving him to fend for himself. I cannot even describe the anger I feel inside at this terrible man who thought he had the right to take a special pet away from his family and throw him into a life of suffering. I don't know if my cat would have survived the last year, but I am going to look for him. I found out where it was he was dumped, and as it was at this man's business offices, I'm holding on to the tiny threads of hope that he is still there. I know the chances are slim, but I can't give up on my cat.

What this man did has all but completely destroyed my faith in humanity. I have lost every bit of respect for him, and for his sake, hope I do not cross paths with him

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Wow, what a horrible person. I can't imagine how someone could do something so cruel to a living creature. :(

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
:( that's dreadful, what a vile excuse for a human being. If only we could dump him in the middle of a desert to fend for himself. Let's hope karma kicks his butt.

I hope you find your kitty cat. Maybe ask rescues close to his office if a kitty was found around there.

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
I can't even imagine! How terrible :(
People like that just... Horrible. That is just a horrible person.

I so hope you can find your cat.

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thank you everyone :hug8: Unfortunately it is a VERY rural area with no SPCA or rescue centers. I'm hoping someone at the work will recognize him (I will be taking along a pic)

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
My neighbor did the same thing to my dog Oopie. It bothered him that he would come in his yard & eat table scraps that he threw off his deck. We found him 2 years later & brought him home. A nice lady had taken him in & loved him. I almost left him w/her, but he was so excited to see me. He lived until he was 17 years old, so glad I did get him back. I didn't find out that he had done that to him until after he died.

Hope you find you kitty :hug8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Here :angel1: :angel1: :angel1: :angel1: and :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: :fingerscrossed: that you find the poor little boy and are able to bring him home. If someone found him and he had a collar wouldn't they figure that he belonged to someone and was lost? Was the person who told you what happened able to give you any reason why this animal did that to a pet cat? :judge:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
@merlinsmom13 I'm so sorry that happened to your dog, but glad you got him back! @SandraK, he did have a collar on, but I'm quite sure that awful man would have removed it so that no one realised he was someone's pet. He was always a very independent cat. We live next to an eco-estate, and my cat used to venture around during the day. Being an eco-estate, we (and they) were concerned that he would catch birds. So we made certain he had a collar with bells so there was no way they could attempt to get us in trouble. However, this certain horrible man clearly didn't care much for that, trapped my cat, and got rid of him. We tried everything possible to keep him from "roaming" and were even trying to find him another home so that they wouldn't hurt him. They didn't give us the chance though :( it was this man's granddaughter that told me about it

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I'm so sorry, there are some evil people out there. You did all you could but somebody else took things into his own hands. I'd have some choice words for your neighbour if I ran into him too.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Tzeehis happened twice in my life. One with my child hood cat, Stormie. She'd be 14 by now. Almost 15.

The other was with my dog. My (EX) best friend was taking care of my dog and when I told her I'd like to have her back if she didnt want her as we have a house now (I used to live in an apartment and she didnt like it at all!!!) And she said she'd keep her as her daughter and herself was attached. That was fine..until recently when I learned she DUMPED HER AT THE FRICKING POUND.

I had Lindy 11 years! Lindy as a senior dog didnt adjust to my move into apartment life. So a friend with a house was heaven for her. I had no clue she would just carelessly dump my dog at the pound!!! :mad:

Amy Pierce

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Thank you @SandraK, I will have some fine words ready for him if I come across him
@CeciliaZ, I only met the granddaughter recently, as she has just moved back to town. She doesn't agree with her grandfather's ways, and has offered to come with me to help me find him
@Bokkapooh, I'm so sorry that happened to you and your animals! Some people are just purely coldhearted. Did you get Lindy back??

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I am unable to get her back and she is still there.

And they renamed her. More salt and vinegar to the wounds.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
@Bokkapooh Is there no way you can prove Lindy was yours before your friend "fostered" her and then dumped her? I'd think that a shelter would be happy that someone wanted a senior pup. Plus wouldn't Lindy still recognize you? I don't mean to ask hurtful questions but like you, I'd be po'd beyond belief. :angry101: :extremeanger: :atomic: :madwife: :madwife: :madwife: :madwife:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ive realized shelters are all about politics and animal right arse holes.

Long story short without trying to take up this thread, I had the $ and people on a lost and found site (where they helped me track her down) willing to help me get her but the whole situation is bad timing. I would have taken her in when I was pregnant but not sure how Lindy will cope in my home as a baby. She wasnt around me while I was pregnant. Im unsure how she'd do in my home with a baby. But damn, we have a GINORMOUS yard. If only my ex friend would have not been a cuddlefish. I am unsure my situation would work for Lindy.And she's old, going to be 13 soon. Sigh... excuses excuses excuses Im making, I know. But theres more to the situaton and needless to say Timing and Situation just doesnt seem to be favorable. I dont know what to do and I do feel horrible over it.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Anywho, with my cst Stormie, she was a beautiful Siamese type of cat hybrid. Blue blue eyes, talkative, cuddly, white fur with silver down her back and her paws and tail. Our neighbor stole her off our back porch (she never wander off, always stayed on our deck) and supposedly SHIPPED HER to his mother inlaws house in a different state because she saw her and wanted her. So when she left her son, my neighbor snuck into our yard and stole her. Stormie was wary of strangers but friendly at the same time. She wouldnt go up to anyone but wouldn't run away from people if she was on our property.

We found out what he did (I was 16/17, so Stormie was 6-7 at the time) by his 8 y.o daughter. When we confronted him his excuse was "where were her tags?", on her you bum and she is microchipped (all of our dogs and cats were).

And people wonder why I am such a b*tch all the time when it comes to my animals. I am a b*tch! And I will protect them with ALL my might! Ive had bad experiences and can take no chances.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry to hear that Amy! :(

For the first ~16 years of my life, all my family's cats were inside/outside cats. We generally only had one cat at a time, except when we took in a pregnant cat that gave birth (took her in before I knew who the owner was - found out, owner could not take her back due to a move). About 90% of the cats ended up getting hit by cars! Well, one died due to an idiotic mistake by a family member (their fault...) and another disappeared. Don't know if someone took her in or if she might have been killed by a wild animal. (one of the kittens) All others that I recall during that time were hit by cars, and there was nothing I could do to make the cats indoor only.

The last cat (or more specifically, kitten) that we lost, some neighborhood kids found her, pleaded their parents to keep her, and when the parents said no, gave her to a neighbor across the street. She ended up living 2 doors down from me (and across the street) as an indoor cat, as much as she enjoyed being outside. I found this out several years later! Considering the circumstances, I couldn't take her back.... and her owner (an elderly lady) was quite fond of her.

Two weeks after losing her, my family got 2 kittens. I was pissed! I still wanted the last kitten (the one living down the street from me) instead of getting two more! These two were indoor/outdoor as well at first, until one was repeatedly getting sick. Since then, both have been indoor only cats (except when one sneaks outside - maybe once a year?). Said cats are now 9 years old! And some of the longest living cats we've had, thanks to them not being allowed to go outside any longer.... which is probably a good thing, since neither one will wear collars (both have hated collars since they were kittens!). Both are microchipped, but that only goes so far!