• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Starting to breed cockatiel

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
No, I guess I haven't really thought about that. @Sarahmuloccan Honestly, I don't think I would separate them. I just wanted to get everyone off of my case

Everything we have said has been because we seriously care about the well-being of your birds. I am concerned for your birds because, as Sarah said, you seem to be rushing into things. You seem to want to breed them at the youngest age possible when that means there are increased risks. You claim that you will research, yet you are giving yourself no time to do so. I really hope you reconsider how you are going about this. Nothing I have said was meant to be an attack, and I’m sure that is the same for the other members. This is a forum with people passionate about birds, we are here to educate each other. By saying what we have been saying, we are not only trying to help your birds, but also save you from the heartbreak you will experience if you go into breeding completely unprepared.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I won't break them up. A vet check is not on the horizon, as of now.
That's good but are you willing to get rid of unwanted eggs, even if they are fertilized? Because there's no guarantee of that not happening.

Why no vet check? Shouldn't you make sure they are healthy enough to breed and have no diseases? Are you are aware of all the diseases out there? Have you even talked to an avian vet yet?

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Honestly I didn't want to have to go there, but I really can't afford a vet appointment right now. I'm fairly sure my female was vetted before she came to me. My male, I'm not sure. IDK about the unwanted vhicke part, don't think I'd have the heart to do it.

Last edited:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
A vet check is not on the horizon, as of now.

That is a problem, not only for your current birds, but also for any future birds. Without a vet check, there’s no for sure way to tell that your birds aren’t hiding any diseases, which could be passed on to babies. And if you are planning to sell any babies, it is wrong to sell them without the babies have vet checkups. And this is why we are worried. There are so many things that can go wrong during breeding, and it is a VERY bad decision to not have a vet.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I don't even know for absolutely certain that my current birds were vetted before I bought/ took them in.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Honestly I didn't want to have to go there, but I really can't afford a vet appointment right now. I'm fairly sure my female was vetted before she came to me. My male, I'm not sure. IDK about the unwanted vhicke part, don't think I'd have the heart to do it.

Then I’m really very concerned for the health of your birds and the future baby birds. You know you can’t afford medical care for them, yet you want to go ahead with it anyway, putting all of your birds at risk. Honestly I don’t know what to say at this point.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I don't even know for absolutely certain that my current birds were vetted before I bought/ took them in.
All the more reason not to rush into things and at least wait until you are in a more secure financial position? If something goes wrong and your hen gets egg bound, or one of the babies is very sick, what will you do? Or do you only care about their life before they've hatched and are barely more than a collection of cells?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I understand financial struggles, but like @SquawksNibbles said it seriously problematic. What if your current birds had an accident or unexpectedly got sick? It's very important to have emergency vet fund or look into credit care? (I think it's called) for any pets. You need to have a plan in case of emergencies. I'm on a fit income myself but I make sure my birds got what they needed. Maybe I'm jumping the gun here. Do you have an emergency fund that you just don't want to use?

You should seriously slow down. You are planning to breed, my hope is you do it ethically.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Just found this thread. Are they aware of disease s like PBFD? This enraged me on so many levels

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Just found this thread. Are they aware of disease s like PBFD? This enraged me on so many levels
I doubt it :( and I totally get your anger. It's very frustrating when people won't listen or engage in a reason debate/discussion. You really shouldn't own an animal for a few weeks and decide that you know enough about them to breed them. :headsmack:

Now it's done and over. We should move on. Still I get why people are riled up about it. I wonder if we learned anything from this experience? Sadly I fear this is the type of situation that repeats itself. There seems no shortage of clueless people want to breed for no other that they want when they even no what their doing. :darkcloud: