• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Starting to breed cockatiel

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
9 month old cock will be perfectly fit to breed in May. Crazy Zealots
He won´t reach sexual maturity for another year yet.
What about the hen? You told us you love her. But you had her 2 weeks n already turning her into mill.

You clearly learned a new word, as I have seen you use it 3 times in 20 minutes, niñata.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
Its the perfect word to describe people who look down on new perspective breeders

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I remember why I got off this forum for so long people can be very nasty.
We are a very compassionate community! We try to help and get frustrated when someone just does not want to listen:adminwatch:

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
He won´t reach sexual maturity for another year yet.
What about the hen? You told us you love her. But you had her 2 weeks n already turning her into mill.

You clearly learned a new word, as I have seen you use it 3 times in 20 minutes, niñata.
From everything I have read Female cockatiels need to be at least 2 years old but males can breed as young as 6 months but should wait until 1 year old.
I am no expert & haven't breed cockatiels. Just have done a lot of research on it.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
From everything I have read Female cockatiels need to be at least 2 years old but males can breed as young as 6 months but should wait until 1 year old.
I am no expert & haven't breed cockatiels. Just have done a lot of research on it.
Click the link @ncGreyBirdLady posted maybe it will help you.

Cockatiels are physically able to breed when they are about 9 to 12 months old;
however, sexual maturity is only reached when they are 15 to 24 months old.

Last edited:

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
I've read the 13 step article , I don't agree with it. I've found other breeding age information elsewhere @Robin8888 is correct.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I've read the 13 step article , I don't agree with it. I've found other breeding age information elsewhere @Robin8888 is correct.

Where do you get your other breeding information? Seriously, I really want to know. This community is filled with very knowledgeable bird people. You have asked for advice and turn it down every single time as far as I’ve seen. If you are so SET on breeding and there’s nothing anybody can say to stop you, then why can’t you at least wait until your birds are actually old enough to breed? You will need that precious time to do plenty of research. Or are you still thinking of taking an “I’ll-just-try-it-all-out-and-learn-as-I-go” approach? Think of it with humans: girls can get pregnant as young teenagers, however, that doesn’t mean they necessarily should. I hate to come off rude, but this is actually getting pretty upsetting for me. I truly respect responsible breeders, however, responsible breeders need to be WILLING to learn.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@SquawksNibbles A few different sites have said that cocks are okay to breed @ 6 to 9 months . They Recommend 12 to18 months for males,but they're capable at 6 to 9 months. My female is 2 and a half to 3 years old.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
@SquawksNibbles A few different sites have said that cocks are okay to breed @ 6 to 9 months . They Recommend 12 to18 months for males,but they're capable at 6 to 9 months. My female is 2 and a half to 3 years old.

Again, please think of it like people. Just because they are capable of having babies, doesn’t mean they should. Even the sources you do trust are recommending that you wait till they are older. I thought in your last thread that you said that you would research? Is that still not true? You also stated in your last thread that your female Cockatiel was used mainly as a baby-maker before you got her. It seriously breaks my heart to know that you seem to be interested in using her only for this purpose, too. In my honest opinion, it’s time that this girl is just given a great life filled only with love.

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
@SquawksNibbles I can totally understand that. You want what's best for her. I'm doing my research now. I'm not gonna have her pump out a ton of chicks, in the same way that I would only get pregnant once or twice in my life, at most, I will only breed my birdies once or twice, then I will invest into a divider, if need be. As far as human teenagers getting pregnant, it's not as catastrophic as people make it out to be. As my 11nth grade sex Ed teacher once said " by and large, teen moms keep their babies, and raise them with support."

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
@SquawksNibbles As far as human teenagers getting pregnant, it's not as catastrophic as people make it out to be. As my 11nth grade sex Ed teacher once said " by and large, teen moms keep their babies, and raise them with support."
That is a minority, and they need amazing support from family. Teens aren't fit for parenthood; our brains develop until 25 years old, which means they are not mature adults before that. Not to mention it's very hard to pursue education with a baby, and no education doesn't lead to a very financially comfortable life. Which can lead to other problems for the mom and baby, with medical care, more education, food, etc. Not the best scenario if you ask me. They will survive but most won't thrive, just like for birds. If the male or yourself doesn't take good enough care of the chick, it will imprint on the chick forever. And I don't really trust sex ed if you ask me, especially american

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
A divider? I seriously don't think that's a good idea and can stress a bonded pair out. I don't know what to tell you... but I think you and your birds are in for alot heartbreaks :(

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
No, it's more than half of girls who keep them, acccrding to the person who's been teaching for over 20 years. Not a minority.

charlieboy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Steph
No, it's more than half of girls who keep them, acccrding to the person who's been teaching for over 20 years. Not a minority.
Keeping the baby doesn't mean that they will have the support they need. I was talking about the thriving teen moms with more than enough support as being the minority. The 20 year argument is also invalid, at least to me, so, sorry. Also I'm sure a lot of girls keep the babies because they can't have access to abortion, as simple as that.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
@WhteRnbwBirdie You so confuse me. Now I'm not trying to be combative but how you're planning to do things seriously concern me. Why breed if you only want to do it twice and separate the bonded pair? From the other thread you dont want to get rid of any fertilized eggs, which your choice but have you thought about how stressful it will be to break up an bonded pair? Serious question

Last edited:

WhteRnbwBirdie

Hit the Road
Real Name
Erica
No, I guess I haven't really thought about that. @Sarahmuloccan Honestly, I don't think I would separate them. I just wanted to get everyone off of my case

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
No, I guess I haven't really thought about that. @Sarahmuloccan Honestly, I don't think I would separate them. I just wanted to get everyone off of my case
I can understand that but these things you need to put considerable thought into. You also sure be reaching out an avian vet and have your birds vet checked before you breeding them. I'm not keen on you breeding honestly but I understand they are your birds and there's nothing I can do to stop you. I feel you are rushing into things. Please stop and think about what people are telling you and trying to warn you about. If you still want to go, fine, but you need to think things through more.

Back to breaking up a bonded pair. Birds are really sensitive creatures and there's no way of predicting how they would react to being broken up. It could be fine, or not. You risk a feather plucking and other self destructive behaviors. The risk may be small but it is there. It seems cruel to me to try and pair bond a couple only to break them up a few years later.