• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Speaking of odd Cats...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
My kitty Sebastian has this obsession with having a new bowl of water with ice in it EVERY TIME I walk into the kitchen!

Believe me, I get the need for fresh cold water, I drink water all day long.

But I walk into the kitchen a dozen times a day at least because my bedroom and bathroom are off it. Each time I go in there I have a meowing cat at my feet, looking at me, walking to his water bowl and meowing until I give him fresh water with a piece of ice.
Now fast forward maybe 30 minutes to an hour at the most, sometimes as few as 10 minutes later and the same thing! I swear this cat gets more fresh water than me!
His bowl is clean and the water is still cold but I have to refill it with new ice anyways:lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Lydia is a water snob too; if we put it in a bowl she requests new water 5-10 times a day. She started drinking from the toilet because it was cooler and fresher (but we keep the lid down for that and bird safety of course)! So we got a fountain; it keeps it aerated and the carbon filter helps it taste fresher for her. It makes it so we only have to give new water once a day, now :)

Cats are so weird!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
I have a fountain but unfortunately because of my cats long hair it clogs up easily. It was always dirty and he still wanted fresh water so I stopped using it. I was taking it all apart and cleaning it every couple days, it was to much work.

Glad to hear Sebastian is not the only crazy:lol:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
My vet told me to get a fountain to encourage Sadie to drink more. Well, she likes the fountain better than a regular bowl, but not if it is on! If I had known she wanted a double decker water bowl I could have made her one for a lot less money than what I spent on that:rolleyes:

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Cats certainly are strange! My oldest insists on drinking from the shower head every time I try to take a shower. When he knows it's shower time he will wait in the tub. I have the hold the shower head so he can drink. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and just turn the shower on forgetting that he's in the tub. He's not too fond of that!

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Cats certainly are strange! My oldest insists on drinking from the shower head every time I try to take a shower. When he knows it's shower time he will wait in the tub. I have the hold the shower head so he can drink. Sometimes I'm in a hurry and just turn the shower on forgetting that he's in the tub. He's not too fond of that!

Both of mine do this too! I have a handheld shower head so I just let it hang in the shower when I am done. I don't have a tub so they can't just drink out of the faucet.
They also lick the left over water on the bottom of the shower:huh: Gross cats!:lol:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Both of mine do this too! I have a handheld shower head so I just let it hang in the shower when I am done. I don't have a tub so they can't just drink out of the faucet.
They also lick the left over water on the bottom of the shower:huh: Gross cats!:lol:
Jasmine is the tub floor licker...as soon as we are done with the shower she runs in. She also likes to try to catch any drops of water from the shower head or faucet head. When she is done she likes to come plant her wet butt on you and rub her wet face on you :lol:

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Cats are utterly mental. I don't think there is any chance of understanding them. One of mine insists on drinking from the tap, or bath water if he sneaks his way in during bath time. He has also decided he enjoys parrot pellets - He was eating the ones Titus had thrown out of his cage earlier.

iggysbirds

Real Name
Stephanie
LOL. The three cats here will bury their water bowl if you don't give them fresh water every time you pass. They will meow a few times by their bowl and then if you don't give them fresh Jackie will go over and cover it with wood chips so you have to refill it.:huh:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
LOL. The three cats here will bury their water bowl if you don't give them fresh water every time you pass. They will meow a few times by their bowl and then if you don't give them fresh Jackie will go over and cover it with wood chips so you have to refill it.:huh:
We might not be able to explain everything about cats, but surely you cannot say they do not manipulate us to their will!! :rofl:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

We might not be able to explain everything about cats, but surely you cannot say they do not manipulate us to their will!! :rofl:
Oh, they most certainly do manipulate us to their will, lol! And expect us to be their servant at all times. We are to be cat furniture for them to sleep on, pet them constantly, play with them, take care of their needs. I really do think they consider themselves more important than we are. They say it is the only animal that chose to domesticate itself. I suspect they said, he ha, look at these big, stupid things: they feed us and pet us, how easy can life get?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, they most certainly do manipulate us to their will, lol! And expect us to be their servant at all times. We are to be cat furniture for them to sleep on, pet them constantly, play with them, take care of their needs. I really do think they consider themselves more important than we are. They say it is the only animal that chose to domesticate itself. I suspect they said, he ha, look at these big, stupid things: they feed us and pet us, how easy can life get?
lol too true. "All I have to do is catch mice and this guy will let me take over his residence? I was doing that anyways!" :rofl:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
:rofl::rofl: Yep, try having 2 Persian Cats, they feel even MORE entitled to being waited on:rolleyes::lol:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Maybe that is part of Sadie's problem, lol! There is a long haired cat somewhere in her ancestry because she is very bushy and has tufted toes.

Catch mice? My previous 2 house cats would never have considered it. One was terrified of them and the other just laid there and watched them go past her nose. At least Sadie catches them although twice now she has thrown a mouse at me, like here, play! And she has put them into my bed and into my slippers in case I need a snack during the night. One of those was beheaded. I freaked upon waking up and staring at this headless mouse. And panicked wondering, oh no! Where's the head?? Then I realized it was next to the body staring at me wide eyed.

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Maybe that is part of Sadie's problem, lol! There is a long haired cat somewhere in her ancestry because she is very bushy and has tufted toes.

Catch mice? My previous 2 house cats would never have considered it. One was terrified of them and the other just laid there and watched them go past her nose. At least Sadie catches them although twice now she has thrown a mouse at me, like here, play! And she has put them into my bed and into my slippers in case I need a snack during the night. One of those was beheaded. I freaked upon waking up and staring at this headless mouse. And panicked wondering, oh no! Where's the head?? Then I realized it was next to the body staring at me wide eyed.
:eek::eek: OMG at the headless mouse!! Poor mousey:(

I think my boys would run screaming from a mouse, they are NOT hunters at all. I can have the rats out with the cats in the bedroom, usually the cats are just sleeping while the ratties play with me. Or I get the "you are letting those things out again" look and they go into the other room uniterested.
Nope, not hunters:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

iggysbirds

Real Name
Stephanie
Ours will all catch mice. Their run is outside near the garage and mice and moles constantly go into their cage. I mean how dumb can a mouse be, hey, we can run all over this yard without a care but over there in a cage are three cats, lets go over there:huh:. They like to present the mice and moles in their food bowl when the catch them and always have them waiting in the same spot. Just this morning a mole had burrowed into their run and they had killed it leaving it in their food bowl. That is one of the best parts of having cats. (We also have a few strays around that leave us mice, moles, and even snakes on our front steps as payment for food LOL!) Since we have had cats both the strays around and ours in their run we have never seen a mouse in our house, the garage or the rescue. Thank you kitties:dance4::heart:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jasmine can catch mice but she doesn't know what to do with them. She carried one around for 3 days once before my dad finally put it out of its misery!

Lydia has never had the opportunity to try

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Last edited:

Meatball

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Have your tried the drinkwell pet fountain? My kitty gets urinary infections sometimes and I purchased on of these fountains. She loves drinking from the running water. It is a pain to keep clean and sanitary but I do it.
Yes, that is the fountain I have but he still demands the ice and it gets yucky to fast. just easier to refill his bowl 15 times a day:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.