• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soon to be Grey Owner .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He doesnt get much or often but he wont be denied if he sees it, lol. I wish I could get him to eat sweet potato like you do, i think that would be much better. He just doesnt like it for some reason :huh:

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Cookie usually likes it, but sometimes she'll refuse to eat it a certain day. Usually its just mushed with cinnamon and she digs in. Once in a while she'll refuse that, so i give her a chunk unmushed and she'll eat it right away :p

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
plus, it'll be good if i have to give her medication in the future, right ?
Yep! I just got done handfeeding fluconazole to one of my rescue 'toos and her mate. And without them willingly taking the comfort food, I am not sure I would have been able to get it down them willingly. I would have had to force it.:(

So I have been handfeeding a mash type formula, every night, since January. It really does help with medications:highfive:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki

I want to say, that with all my adult rescues I get in, I still comfort feed them. Its great for the bonding process and for their security. Is it needed? Sometimes but not all the time. But like I said, its a great way to help them settle in, and make them feel more secure.
Mercedez,

I have Papaya, a Regent Parrot here who has been here since February of this year. I have been trying to work with him and he seems to be getting much more comfortable. Do you think comfort feeding would be good for him?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Mercedez,

I have Papaya, a Regent Parrot here who has been here since February of this year. I have been trying to work with him and he seems to be getting much more comfortable. Do you think comfort feeding would be good for him?
Oh absolutely:highfive: Its always worth a shot.

I even think Old Merlin may like a bite of some comfort food:D

I know baby birds grow up, but even though they seem all grown up, sometimes you can recapture those baby moments with some comfort food;):hehe::heart:

I'll try and upload a video(in a newer thread as to not hijack this thread) of my 24+y.o (Wild caught) male U2 begging for his comfort foods:p

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Oh - i forgot! The girls actually got moved to their first cage today! Our two and the ekkie are sharing one.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Yep! They're not perching yet but she said they are very close!

Sophie's Mama

Walking the driveway
:huh:OK color me stupid..."Comfort Food?" Not comprehending.... Is this a feeding style? Is it like stress foods for birds.....Is there a logic behind it? Just call me the squeaky wheel...I understand hand feeding, I understand giving a bird a snack, but the term comfort food escapes me.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
:huh:OK color me stupid..."Comfort Food?" Not comprehending.... Is this a feeding style? Is it like stress foods for birds.....Is there a logic behind it? Just call me the squeaky wheel...I understand hand feeding, I understand giving a bird a snack, but the term comfort food escapes me.
Here is a thread for comfort food:

http://forums.avianavenue.com/feath...ort-food-mercedez-come-here-2.html#post408798

I will answer your question there, so I do not hijack this thread:)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
...I wish I could get him to eat sweet potato like you do, i think that would be much better. He just doesnt like it for some reason :huh:
If he likes rice or something else of that consistency add a few chunks to the cooking water and then cut them very small into the rice when done. he's get some of the nutrients in the water from the absorbed water and may eat the little bits with the rice. That's what I do with Ruby when she goes on a sweet potato strike. Just add a enough at first that you think he won't pay attention to. :)

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks Marie, thats a great idea :D Cash loooves his rice :)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Congrats!! :dance5:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thank you, Miriam!

Daisy's Mom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Wow Congratulations Emily! You must be sooo excited... I'm soooooooo happy for you :heart:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thanks Tiffany! I am beyond excited! :D Its going to be such a long wait for Row to come home.

mizbirdy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tina
Congrats Emily! You will love being a birdie slave to a grey! :lol:here's a great site to help you with her & your other birds......

Parrot Enrichment

Status
Not open for further replies.