• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soon to be Grey Owner .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gyoussef

Meeting neighbors
Yeah,mine is born on the 10th of May, and yours the 13th.
These 3 little girls are all about the same age, between 5 and 6 weeks of age. The Eclectus weighs 412 grams, the two Greys weigh 338 and 339 grams. The Eclectus baby was raised by it's natural mother (Indy) until a few days ago. Parent raised babies always seem to be larger. The two baby Greys were Day 1 babies, now they are playing catch up. The Eclectus will probably be a larger bird when they grow up. Indy and Ollie are both large Eclectus. If you look really, really close you will be able to see a little hint of red on one of the baby Grey's tail end.

This was an e-mail sent to me on the 20th of June.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
awe congrats Emily! :hug1: I wish you pm'ed me to tell me the news! :(
You're going to love having a grey, esp. a baby grey... They steal your heart away.

Tia was never really into playing when I brought her home. She was more of a people person, if she was with you, she was happy. But all greys are different. For your shopping list for toys, you're really going to have to go from it by your eyes... because you have to see what they like. You might end up buying all these toys that she won't like!

Tia was never really in her cage at all so I don't have any suggestions. I bought my cage used so I'm not sure what it's called. -It's really huge tho. You want to make sure there's more than enough room for when they spread their wings out it won't hit anything. And their wings are HUGE!

It'll feel like christmas when you get her. I bet you're so excited. Reading through your posts really felt like I went back in time and this was me posting about before I got tia. I know how exited you are.

Please keep me updated. You're going to love her.

And welcome aboard George :greet7:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Really? The others are to small? I'm not trying to doubt this i just really have trouble trying to picture cages.
I have 2 quakers in a 32x23, and its ok size for them. I wouldnt put my RLA, which is the size of a Grey, into a 32x23. Its much too small once you have perches and toys in the cage.

Okay! So with those it is between these two and the one the breeder suggested to me.
Prevue Hendryx Signature Series Large Dometop Wrought Iron Bird Cage - 3163
Prevue Hendryx Silverado Macaw Cage - 3155S
Parrot cage King Macaw Cockatoo Large Play top A20 W on eBay.ca (item 110543899436 end time 08-Jul-10 09:55:33 EDT)

I'm really putting a small list of them together, and its my parents overall choice on the cage.
Any of those 3 cages would be great for a Grey. The 1st one would be best, as its bigger than 2 and 3. But 2 and 3 are fine.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Thats the one i think i'm going to try and go for, too. Just have to convince my mum. She was like "its too big, em, the A19 is enough she'll be out all day long!" but i want the bigger one. Its my money haha.
She may be out all day, but cage size is very important.

Here is a link below, describing why cage size matters. It talks about Umbrella cockatoos. But I find that both the Umbrella and the Grey to be very similar. They are both very smart and emotionally sensitive birds.

U2s and the Big Cage Factor

Also although a bird may be out of its cage all day. What happens when emergencies happen, when the bird will be stuck inside its cage all day?

Also where will it spend its time? Ontop of the cage? Well it needs more space than just the top of its cage. Territory and BIRD space is very important, JMHO. Birds NEED a place to play, that isnt their cage, and that isnt human territory. A place where they can be away from their cage and yet destroy things and make a mess. A play gym.

Smaller birds do well without play gyms, but I have found that most larger parrots, really need a playgym or tree stand. Below is a link to very afforable gyms :)

Manzanita Burlworks - Bird Perches - Custom Play Gyms - Sandblasted

And you know all about the importance of diet, and toys :):highfive: I dont need to address those.:p

But I do want to mention, incase you do not know, or your cousin. Make sure these babies are properly fledged before they are clipped! That means they need to be flying for a few months before they are clipped! And make sure they are weaned correctly. Abundance weaned.

I see a lot of Greys being sold at 3 months old and being claimed to be weaned. If you do bring home baby at 3 months of age, do not fall into the false security that this baby is weaned. It will not be, and will need to be comfort fed.

Abundance Weaning

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Congratulations on your new baby! I am sure you will have many stories to tell once she gets home.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma I am actually not sure which is Rowan to be honest! They are only three days apart (I think.. George, please correct me if i'm wrong!) and they weigh around the same, too. Maybe a couple of grams difference depending on the time they're weighed. They're both adorable though!
Either way, they are BOTH adorable and I'm sure will be very much loved by the both of you.:heart::hug8:We will all be here for you to offer any needed or necessary advice.

On a more serious note, I wanted to mention some very important issues before Rowan comes home. This way you can prepare yourself in advance and there will be no "Oh, Oh, I had not thought about that".:(

African greys are ALOT of fun and awesome companions, but they also come at the exchange of MUCH responsibility and indefinite sacrifice. What you see when I post videos of my flock is a reflection of alot of work and effort behind behind the scenes to make sure they are cared for properly.
With bigger parrots, comes MUCH bigger expenses and they really are a LIFELONG commitment.

This includes Regular Vet care and Emergency vet care or EVEN a fund for any unexpected medical condition your african grey may have.

It is VERY costly.:) Have you had a serious discussion with your family about setting up an emergency medical fund for Rowan as well as the rest of your flock.:) I know you're very responsible and very loving to your flock but I do believe that it will help alot to have your family involved to assist you financially.:) Purchasing the parrot, the cage/accessories, food and toys are the EASIEST parts.

Have you even searched for a knowledgeable avian vet or vet who will be able to see Rowan if the need should arise?:)

Another topic to consider is, who will take care of Rowan, Cookie, Higgins during family vacations/holidays/ or when you must go out of town unexpectedly? :huh:

Rowan cannot be left alone. That would not be acceptable or even appropriate.

Remember that these expenses and Concerns are not JUST for NOW and while Rowan is a baby, cute and docile and NEW. This is for many, many years to come. If she is taken care of properly, she may even outlive you.:heart:

I'm still learning about being an african grey owner myself and I just wanted to share what I've learnt along the way because I want you to be aware of the reality of being an african grey owner.:heart:

I care about you as a member. :hug8:I care about parrots and I'll even go so far as to say that I have a very very special spot in my heart for all african greys.:heart:

Last edited:

akijoy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
Congratulations, Emily! And welcome to the amazing world of grey-ownership!

Gertie is by far the most challenging of my 3 birds in terms of care. They are so smart, and the smarter the bird, I think the more challenging it is...to keep them stimulated and out of trouble. Your life will not be the same, I can guarantee you that!

Looking forward to many pics and lots of stories!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thank you guys! Mercedes, the big cage is what i am going to get. I'll right with my parents for it if i have to!

I will ask the breeder about comfort feeding, and maybe she will keep them longer for us if that is the case.

Saemma - yes, I've thought about it :) I already had started putting money away in case we needed the vet, but used it when Higgins came home and to help him with mites. I'm going to be putting a little away every now and again for emergencies.

We do not have an *avian* vet here - but there IS a vet here that i trust and would go to in an emergency, or if i felt anything was wrong. I took Higgins to her.

As for while we are away - its the same as what would happen to Cookie, Toc, or Higgins. If George were away with his family - I'd look after Grace, and I'm sure he'd look after Rowan for me. We only go away about once a year in the winter, and usually the birds are left home - but we either have someone staying here with the pets (to take care of out dogs fish and birds) or we have two different people visiting at different times to take the time to spend with them and take care of them daily. It would not be a problem to find someone to take care of her for me.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
awe congrats Emily! :hug1: I wish you pm'ed me to tell me the news! :(
You're going to love having a grey, esp. a baby grey... They steal your heart away.

Tia was never really into playing when I brought her home. She was more of a people person, if she was with you, she was happy. But all greys are different. For your shopping list for toys, you're really going to have to go from it by your eyes... because you have to see what they like. You might end up buying all these toys that she won't like!

Tia was never really in her cage at all so I don't have any suggestions. I bought my cage used so I'm not sure what it's called. -It's really huge tho. You want to make sure there's more than enough room for when they spread their wings out it won't hit anything. And their wings are HUGE!

It'll feel like christmas when you get her. I bet you're so excited. Reading through your posts really felt like I went back in time and this was me posting about before I got tia. I know how exited you are.

Please keep me updated. You're going to love her.

And welcome aboard George :greet7:
Sorry Erica!! I would have pm'd you i was just so caught up in it, lol! but i will keep you updated for SURE. I am unbelievably excited - as you can imagine. She's going to be first baby bird!:eek::hug8:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I'm going to see her today - i should have pictures when i get home! :D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I will ask the breeder about comfort feeding, and maybe she will keep them longer for us if that is the case.
Thats great. Make sure she is abundance weaned. And if she comes home too early and makes any of these sounds (see link below), then you need to research how to comfort feed. Most babies NEED comfort feedings in a new home no matter how long the breeder keeps a baby. I assume the breeder probably wont keep her past 4 months of age.. most breeders do not... they think once they are 3 months, they are old enough to be weaned, sadly.

Link of baby greys begging for food:

YouTube - JJ's video 10 weeks old First words

Also its very easy to get a baby bird hooked on just ONE person. I know you said this baby will be yours. But you want to be able to socialize it with the rest of the family.

I knew a kid once who had a 10month of baby grey who was SO AGGRESSIVE with everyone in the house (not with me though:D), and I had to teach that family how to handle this baby grey and that it was very bad for a baby grey to be so aggressive and so territorial at such a young age. The kid wanted a bird all to himself so badly, but he didnt take into account that this was very bad behavior for his grey.

Also I want to really stress that this baby shouldnt be clipped too early in its life. If it is trimmed, make sure you do a bit of research on african greys. They should have very light trims, so they can glide downwards. But make sure that this baby was/is properly fledged and that before it is trimmed, it knew how to 100% fly. Make sure the breeder doesnt clip the baby once the baby has its first flight, this isnt fledging or being properly fledged.

Talk to Kelly aka The Cozy Nest. She can talk to you more about this, as she is raising 3 babies right now that are going through a fledging time.

Your a great mommy to your fids, I know you'll do whats best for this baby:hug8:

Birdasaurus

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I definitely agree with Mercedez that the playgym thing is HUGE. Tango is my only consistent user of the playgym, and he uses it for hours everyday. If you're handy with a tape measure and saw, you can create one. I drew up my own design and then bought large pvc pipes and cut them on my own. Not including the toys I bought to hang on it, the materials, including the cutter, cost me about $35. Much cheaper than buying a pre-made one.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I will talk to her about abundance weaning. This breeder is VERY against selling an unweaned baby, she's said so many times.

She will not sell her babies flighted. We've already talked about this. She refuses too, she's a pro clip. I am going to see what i can do, but thats not enough to make me not get this baby.

I certainly won't be the only person handling her - i dont even want to be. me and my parents have already talked. She's *my* bird but she's *everyone's* pet. We're all going to be handling her daily, as well as visitors (other family and trusted friends) in our house. She will be very well socialized :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wanted to say congratz again,Im so very happy for you:)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

She will not sell her babies flighted. We've already talked about this. She refuses too, she's a pro clip. I am going to see what i can do, but thats not enough to make me not get this baby.

If you can, tell her it would mean a lot to you, if she can let this baby fly around for a full month or more before clipping. And if she can do a very light clip, and see what her "light clips" and regular clips entails. You can also print out important information on the importance of flight.

http://www.theparrotuniversity.com/flight.php

Im glad she wont force wean, and I am glad you know the importance of socialization. Thats great!:highfive:

Last edited:

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
Congratulations on your new baby! She sure is a cutie and I know you will enjoy her so very much. We do ours. I somehow overlooked this thread until I got a frantic phone call from a friend who has put a deposit on a 2 week old baby grey. I've been on the phone with her for an hour calming her down about the stuff she has read on here. Please keep in mind, that alot of breeders have been breeding for years and years and are very knowledgable about what the weaning process entails. Alot of them also won't sell unclipped birds and also are very experienced about when the clipping should be done. It will be up to you if you want to keep your bird clipped or flighted once your baby is home. Have great fun with her!

MaryB6368

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mary
Congrats on your new baby grey! All babies are special, but there is something magical about a baby CAG. Enjoy the preparations for homecoming..........the time will fly!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Saemma - yes, I've thought about it :) I already had started putting money away in case we needed the vet, but used it when Higgins came home and to help him with mites. I'm going to be putting a little away every now and again for emergencies.

We do not have an *avian* vet here - but there IS a vet here that i trust and would go to in an emergency, or if i felt anything was wrong. I took Higgins to her.

As for while we are away - its the same as what would happen to Cookie, Toc, or Higgins. If George were away with his family - I'd look after Grace, and I'm sure he'd look after Rowan for me. We only go away about once a year in the winter, and usually the birds are left home - but we either have someone staying here with the pets (to take care of out dogs fish and birds) or we have two different people visiting at different times to take the time to spend with them and take care of them daily. It would not be a problem to find someone to take care of her for me.

Yay!!!:dance4: Glad you have thought about these issues and are preparing for them!!:hug8:

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Thanks guys. I'm driving home now from visiting. She is so so sweet. She asked if I wanted to hold the ekkie - I was like uh NO. Haha.

I asked her about comfort feeding and said I was a bit concerned. She said it probably wouldn't be needed but she'd teach me how and send me home with some formula for her
That really made me feel good and worry a little less :).

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Thanks guys. I'm driving home now from visiting. She is so so sweet. She asked if I wanted to hold the ekkie - I was like uh NO. Haha.

I asked her about comfort feeding and said I was a bit concerned. She said it probably wouldn't be needed but she'd teach me how and send me home with some formula for her
That really made me feel good and worry a little less :).
Thats great :D

You dont have to have formula to comfort feed. So if you end up using what she supplies you with, and use it all up. No worries, you dont have to buy more. Just make a sweet potato/oatmeal mash, and handfeed it to her at the right consistency and temperature.:cool1:

I find fledging chicks shouldnt really be fed soley on baby food, they should be fed chopped up steamed veggies and other whole foods. It helps them get onto healthy diet :)

Status
Not open for further replies.