• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Someone help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angelicarboreals

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I am not sure if this is really an emergency or not, but Checkers has started acting funny this afternoon. I have video of it, but for whatever reason my computer is acting stupid and I cannot get it uploaded.

He was weaned when he came to me, but it seems like tonight he has reverted back to babyhood. All evening he has been screaming his head off (even if I pick him up), head bobbing very slowly, and flapping his wings out. To me it looks like a "I'm hungry, feed me" response. I have tried putting pellets in front of him, veggies, almonds, etc. and he will eat for a few minutes (I can tell he is swallowing) and then as soon as I talk to him it starts all over again. In this video I posted the other day, you can see the behavior I am talking about at 2:06, and 2:22. He will sit and do this for a minute at a time now. :( :( Just add a ear splitting scream to that and you know what I am dealing with.

I just want to make sure that he is okay, and that I should not go back to handfeeding him. It has been so long since I tried to handfeed I am scared if I had to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
I'm not familiar with birds doing this, but I wanted to offer my positive thoughts and :hug8:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
try warming up some softer foods and feeing him with your hands. Mia did the same thing... she wanted that comfort and security. I fed her oatmeal with a spoon, I'd feed her some mashed sweet potato... they loved it!
Summer is almost 7 months old and I still feed her warm squash by hand and she absolutely goes nuts! She doesn't want formula. She only eats about 10 cc if I give her formula but she will eat till she is STUFFED if I give her food by hand!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Angela what kind of bird is Checkers? I agree with Joanna. Try some warm soft food, like sweet potatoes, or oatmeal or organic baby food. I still feed my guys a comfort feeding. See if that helps.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
I agree about offering some warm food-even moistened pellets:)

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I would do the same as others have suggested. Offer warm, moist foods, like oatmeal, sweet potatoes, crushed pellets mixed with warm water, etc. You can offer it to her on a spoon or in a bowl. Sometimes these guys need 'emotional' feedings as opposed to necessary feedings.

looniebirds

Jogging around the block
Real Name
melody
babycakes my blackheaded caique is probably about 6 years old now or maybe a little more. I have had him for over a year now, and from day one all I have to do is speak to him and he does the head bob [rapidly] and tries to regurge for me. I am so flattered by this, but really! He doesn't scream, though, while he is doing this. How old is Checkers? I don't think he would be doing what mine does if he is very young, it sounds like a baby bird thing like the others have said.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
It just happens sometimes, and not always right away. I totally believe that it's 98% a comfort thing. I worked a double yesterday and no one was happy about it. Today the second I took Summer out of the cage, she was doing her baby squawk and the "nod". The second she saw me coming with the food she gave me a feeding response! After I hand fed her the squash she was as happy as can be :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I'm not sure I'm seeing anything wrong with Checkers and the cry he's making in the video.
It could just be him trying to get some message across?
You can most definitely try the warm soft foods by hand. It won't hurt!!

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
I agree with the soft foods like sweet potato or moist pellets.

gary

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
What a little sweetheart. I think he seems fine. Also Angela you were petting him down his back. That can be stimulating to birds so watch that as well to see if he makes that behavior when you are petting him.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
he looks fine to me...gorgeous little character acutally

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
What a little sweetheart. I think he seems fine. Also Angela you were petting him down his back. That can be stimulating to birds so watch that as well to see if he makes that behavior when you are petting him.
Even to little babies? Wow, did not know that.

The video that I never could post last night shows the behavior much better, as the head bobbing, wing flicking, incessant "AAAAAAAAAAA" "AAAAAAAAAA" that he is doing is not as pronounced in the video I posted. I am just worried because we are leaving tomorrow evening for Thanksgiving and won't be home until Saturday morning. My pet sitter will be here, but still I worry.:(

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Are they use to eating soft warm foods?
also on the petting of Avery, Hahns, I also wouldn't use the "stroking" ...I would do more like the "preening" with tumb/forefinger....My Hanhs hates to have his body touched but will sit for small amounts of preening....
They really look good....could be Checkers is looking for attention when he is doing that and yes, it also can be looking for "food"/that's the attention parent would give him...:hug8:

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Checkers is just a beautiful little baby. What I picked up was he did not want to step up! He was telling you very plainly in your video. He looks healthy and such a puff ball. Good luck.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
How is he today?

Prince Toasty Buns

Jogging around the block
Angela,

I agree with the others to try some soft foods but also I think that maybe Checkers is just not getting enough food, of any kind, when he wants it (in that video only I am meaning). Seems to me that he is moving things around in the seed cup looking for more food?

I personally have a few species of weaned parrots that I still give an occassional feeding of warm formula. They just love it, when they want it. Sometimes they want it, sometimes they don't.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
How is he today?
He is still doing it today, not as bad. I have tried oatmeal with him, and he will take a bite or two and commence to screaming again. I haven't been with the birds in the past few hours but I am about to go down there to feed them dinner for the night. At this point I almost feel like he is doing it possibly to get my attention. If I walk away from him he will stop and start playing, etc. but if I come up to him or talk to him he starts again.

Angela,

I agree with the others to try some soft foods but also I think that maybe Checkers is just not getting enough food, of any kind, when he wants it (in that video only I am meaning). Seems to me that he is moving things around in the seed cup looking for more food?
I don't get it though. He gets a huge bowl of pellets, fresh veggies, almonds, etc. so I know he is not starving. He will even do the behavior I am talking about mid- bite, and that is what I don't get if it is truly a food response.

I

Status
Not open for further replies.