• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some of my neighbors

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have many other wild neighbors, don't have my camera on hand enough.

There is a pair of King Parrots that forage around mine every day. Pi the Plumhead has become friend's with this one. They talk to each other through the window.

IMG_5637.JPG

This family of frog mouth tawnies decided to spend the winter solstice in my tree. Their nest isn't far from me. Very very very sadly one of the babies didn't make it, wild Australia is a brutal climate. I was very devastated when I found the poor baby and reported it to the RSPCA.

IMG_5062.JPG

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Beautiful!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How sweet! I love frog mouths, poorwills , anything in that genre,, night jars are so awesome..

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Beautiful birds! We have Frog Mouths at our aviary here. Really interesting looking birds. I can't imagine how amazing it must be to see them in the wild (or your yard!). :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@sunnysmom They are very loving with their little ones and their mate. :xflove: They are also silent hunters, have only seen them dive for a few lizards, their wings are silent. It is amazing.

We have a few kookaburras around and they are always noisy and setting their claims. The other day a large male landed on the veranda and saw his reflection in the glass door and charged. He hurt himself a bit from smashing the glass and Pi (who is still recovering from his breeder's wing clip) went flying terrified to the other side of the house. The kookaburra managed to fly to a tree, but he left a smudge of mucus and blood from where he hit the window. The predatory birds are always something to look out for. A whole colony of miner birds lives near by, so luckily they are great at sounding the alarm and also ganging up together to harass the large kookas.

I need to have my camera ready to document these things for everyone.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Neptune is my adorable window watcher. He loves..loves loves watching the world. This kookaburra decided Neptune would be a nice snack.

Parrotlets are too brave for their own good. Neptune sat in the window yelling at him... the kooka is massive in comparison. Of course there is a window between the two of them, but shesh. The scariest part was that the kookaburra just stopped moving. He just sat still and watched Neptune. Neptune lost interest in him and started foraging and chewing on the play stand. If Neptune was outside the kooka would just swoop in for a snack when his back was turned.

IMG_5832.JPG

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
I wish I lived in Australia! Gorgeous.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon and I love to hear and sometimes see the outside birds. There are trees that even touch the house and the birds like this property because I let nature grow basically wild. The leaf litter under the trees is a good place for a lot of the birds to forage. I clean and refill the birdbath sometimes but many times the birds bathe in the roof gutters. There is one really safe tree for them to nest in, I never trim the tree at all, and nest they do. Many times a year the tree will be full of birds with their young. I get fantails, tuis, sparrows, finches and lots of other birds. Simon is basically made to feel part of the bird community because they talk to him and he talks back. It's wonderful.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Beautiful wildlife there!!!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
wow, that is so cool! My dream is to go to Australia to see and photograph wild parrots!
That would be exciting and so much fun! Australia is the land of birds. Oddly though I think we are more famous for spiders, snakes and kangaroos. ...but the bird life is diverse and fantastic. In Brisbane in South Bank when the birds are roosting for the night and contacting all of their friends, they are louder than the traffic.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Any more pictures to add? :joyful: I don´t want the thread to end! So beautiful :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Any more pictures to add? :joyful: I don´t want the thread to end! So beautiful :)
I will see if I can get a shot of Boo-boo and his lovely wife. They come to drink water from my veranda. However Bob is trying to impress all the ladies so he has been chasing everyone away... I need to get more creative with the names I give the wild birds :p

The king parrots raised a baby. They bring their fledgling here now. They like the mango tree :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Isn't it so lovely when the trees are so close to the house. One time when I had the kitchen window wide open (Simon was on holiday) one of the fantails sat on a branch with 3 fledglings and was talking to me and her babies, it was like she was saying this person is okay is safe do not be scared. It was so sweet. The fantails will even sometimes come into the house, fly around a bit, then fly out again and they never poop in the house. When I have Simon on the veranda with me, in his Pak-o-bird the fantails come so close that one of these days I'm sure one will land on me. When I've cleaned their birdbath I usually get called to, they want me to see that they are using the bath. All this because the trees are so close to the house.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Isn't it so lovely when the trees are so close to the house. One time when I had the kitchen window wide open (Simon was on holiday) one of the fantails sat on a branch with 3 fledglings and was talking to me and her babies, it was like she was saying this person is okay is safe do not be scared. It was so sweet. The fantails will even sometimes come into the house, fly around a bit, then fly out again and they never poop in the house. When I have Simon on the veranda with me, in his Pak-o-bird the fantails come so close that one of these days I'm sure one will land on me. When I've cleaned their birdbath I usually get called to, they want me to see that they are using the bath. All this because the trees are so close to the house.

The wildlife and birds are fantastic. Overall yes, but we have a massive widow maker that takes up half the property. I won't put anything under it.

For Christmas I built my hens a new enclosure 18 sqm for the 5 of them. Neptune and I were looking out of the window and ""crack crack"" "THUD" yep the largest branch I have ever seen fall...of course it got caught in the mango tree twisted and then fell on the new chicken home. Luckily it only bent one member, so not a super big deal in the end. This branch was the size of other trees. Neptune's reaction was adorable because he had the same expression I did, "what just happened?" followed buy looking down at the branch. He was so stunned he didn't even fly off...just a puzzled look on his face.

simon777

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Do you leave the leaf litter under your trees? I do and the outside birds find lots of insects and grubs in it. Do you have a birdbath too? All the birds for quite a distance love my birdbath.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Do you leave the leaf litter under your trees? I do and the outside birds find lots of insects and grubs in it. Do you have a birdbath too? All the birds for quite a distance love my birdbath.
I don't need to leave leaf litter outside for the wildlife, my home is next to a wildlife preservation zone. :) In fact I am also in a bush fire area so I actually battle the endless rain-forest leaf and branch debris of Queensland and try to get the council to take it away. I want as little as possible near the house. The birds eat well around here. I do not offer a bird bath, but do have small dishes of water around the veranda.