1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some of my neighbors

Discussion in 'Bird Watchers Road' started by fashionfobie, 2/18/19.

1. fashionfobie

fashionfobie Sprinting down the street

Natalie
    I have many other wild neighbors, don't have my camera on hand enough.

There is a pair of King Parrots that forage around mine every day. Pi the Plumhead has become friend's with this one. They talk to each other through the window.

IMG_5637.JPG

This family of frog mouth tawnies decided to spend the winter solstice in my tree. Their nest isn't far from me. Very very very sadly one of the babies didn't make it, wild Australia is a brutal climate. I was very devastated when I found the poor baby and reported it to the RSPCA.

IMG_5062.JPG

2. rockoko

rockoko Squawk and Meow! Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Martine
    Beautiful!

faislaq and Eloy like this.
  3. Eloy

Eloy Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

J.T
    I would love to see more of your wild neighbors! :)

4. FLmom

FLmom Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Linda
    Oh wow! What’s so normal to you is just amazing to us here in the US. What a beautiful lil red headed friend your fid has :heart: and I’ve never heard of a frog mouthed tawnie. Beautiful wild Australia!!!

fashionfobie and faislaq like this.
  5. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

How sweet! I love frog mouths, poorwills , anything in that genre,, night jars are so awesome..

fashionfobie likes this.
  6. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    Beautiful birds! We have Frog Mouths at our aviary here. Really interesting looking birds. I can't imagine how amazing it must be to see them in the wild (or your yard!). :)

fashionfobie likes this.
  7. fashionfobie

Natalie
    @sunnysmom They are very loving with their little ones and their mate. :xflove: They are also silent hunters, have only seen them dive for a few lizards, their wings are silent. It is amazing.

We have a few kookaburras around and they are always noisy and setting their claims. The other day a large male landed on the veranda and saw his reflection in the glass door and charged. He hurt himself a bit from smashing the glass and Pi (who is still recovering from his breeder's wing clip) went flying terrified to the other side of the house. The kookaburra managed to fly to a tree, but he left a smudge of mucus and blood from where he hit the window. The predatory birds are always something to look out for. A whole colony of miner birds lives near by, so luckily they are great at sounding the alarm and also ganging up together to harass the large kookas.

I need to have my camera ready to document these things for everyone.

8. fashionfobie

Natalie
    Neptune is my adorable window watcher. He loves..loves loves watching the world. This kookaburra decided Neptune would be a nice snack.

Parrotlets are too brave for their own good. Neptune sat in the window yelling at him... the kooka is massive in comparison. Of course there is a window between the two of them, but shesh. The scariest part was that the kookaburra just stopped moving. He just sat still and watched Neptune. Neptune lost interest in him and started foraging and chewing on the play stand. If Neptune was outside the kooka would just swoop in for a snack when his back was turned.

IMG_5832.JPG

9. greytlove

greytlove Walking the driveway

Nicole
    I wish I lived in Australia! Gorgeous.

10. simon777

simon777 Meeting neighbors

Simon and I love to hear and sometimes see the outside birds. There are trees that even touch the house and the birds like this property because I let nature grow basically wild. The leaf litter under the trees is a good place for a lot of the birds to forage. I clean and refill the birdbath sometimes but many times the birds bathe in the roof gutters. There is one really safe tree for them to nest in, I never trim the tree at all, and nest they do. Many times a year the tree will be full of birds with their young. I get fantails, tuis, sparrows, finches and lots of other birds. Simon is basically made to feel part of the bird community because they talk to him and he talks back. It's wonderful.

fashionfobie likes this.
  11. Gen120

Gen120 Joyriding the Neighborhood Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Victoria :)
    wow, that is so cool! My dream is to go to Australia to see and photograph wild parrots!

fashionfobie and EkkieLu like this.
  12. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road

Tricia
    Beautiful wildlife there!!!

13. fashionfobie

Natalie
    That would be exciting and so much fun! Australia is the land of birds. Oddly though I think we are more famous for spiders, snakes and kangaroos. ...but the bird life is diverse and fantastic. In Brisbane in South Bank when the birds are roosting for the night and contacting all of their friends, they are louder than the traffic.

Gen120 likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)