• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some of my neighbors

11bryces

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brice
my doooosh i would love to live in australien just for this ! i mean !!!!!! gorgeous, we have some wild ringnecks in the south of france but they are extremely shy and stay far away from humans

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
So this is Boo-boo. He is a butcher bird. His wife is normally in the tree and he will do a lot of keep her safe. I have only seen her a few times. If I ever try to discourage him from sitting here eyeing my birds for a snack..he will intentionally poop on that chair. Neptune has put up an impressive wing display to protect the window. Parrotlets.. holy moley are they fierce little pears.

IMG_5875.JPG

This is Bob. He is a trusty noisy miner bird. Miners are never alone. They have a strong tribal alliance with their own kind. Whenever a miner makes the call... all miners from all around will join together to harass the threat. I appreciate having them around. They regularly harass stray cats and aggressive kookaburras. The cats HATE them, I like knowing where the cats are.

I know it is Bob, because he drinks from the same spot and does the same little ritual every time. :xflove:

IMG_6455.JPG

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I love that you have named all the birds who visit your porch!!❤❤❤❤❤❤

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A lovely little family of pale-headed rosellas stopped by for some food. Having fig tress and a mango tree is the best!

It always impresses me how colourful little parrots blend in perfectly to their natural landscape.

IMG_6603.JPG

IMG_6605.JPG

IMG_6606.JPG

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:heart2: I love these photos of yours :heart2: What a paradise you live in! :egg::coolparrot:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
A flock of Scaly Lorikeets stopped by the morning. The tree next to my chickens is in bloom.

They were pretty high up, see if you can find them, they blend in very well to their natural landscape.

IMG_7601.JPG

IMG_7604.JPG

IMG_7611.JPG

IMG_7614.JPG

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
:bump7: Bumping this one for myself so I can find it on my phone.. images incoming :D

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Australia brushturkeys. A bunch of them were on my veranda this morning, but when I went to get photos they flew to the trees. They are not strict flocking birds and usually spend a lot of time alone. Megapodes have really interesting nesting and chick rearing behaviour. The chicks are fully independent from day 1, and hatch with well developed wings. There are very few avians species that have so much independence on hatching.

IMG_20200723_072454.jpg
IMG_20200723_072449.jpg
IMG_20200723_072411.jpg
IMG_20200723_072444.jpg

Last edited:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My new human neighbors cut down every single tree in their lot. Since that I haven't seen the King Parrots nor the Rosellas :sad3:

I miss my old neighbor she was so nice and animal oriented! My new neighbors are very rambunctious and don't a care about the wildlife. Like don't buy a house next to a conservation area to then cut down all the plants. :(

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh wow, turkeys in trees!!!

I miss my old neighbor she was so nice and animal oriented! My new neighbors are very rambunctious and don't a care about the wildlife. Like don't buy a house next to a conservation area to then cut down all the plants. :(
That´s sad :( Are they allowed to do that¿

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh wow, turkeys in trees!!!

That´s sad :( Are they allowed to do that¿
They can't really fly they more jump, flap, glide. Not the most graceful but does the job!

Yeah they can cut the tree on their lot. Thank goodness the surveyor came and set up posts because they probably would have gone over their boundaries otherwise. It is fully clear cut in their lot now. Not even a tall flower or any plant at all..

Dorcas George

How did I miss this thread? Thanks for bumping it up. I have an Australian friend and we were video chatting the other day about budgies and various parrots and other animals. I was asking about wildlife and birds after the devastating fires. Anyway, she said that in her area there are LOTS of cockatoos that everyone hates because they are incredibly destructive. She's had roof issues several times. Don't remember what "brand" of bird, but we all know what cockatoo beaks look like!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Dorcas George oh yeah cockatoos are very destructive! There are Corella, sulfurs and yellow tail and galahs in my neighbourhood. The sulfurs are the most damaging, but cute :D

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
It is raining so sorry for the sad looking photos! O guess it adds to the drama.

My lot
IMG_20200723_091154.jpg
IMG_20200723_091207.jpg

My neighbour.. clear cut to my property line. The mature fig trees used to be there. Luckily there are some young fig trees on my side.
IMG_20200723_091217.jpg

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow, I wonder why. Seems such a shame.

SkyLark

Jogging around the block
Australia is beautiful! Your place is my dream house, next to a forest, rainy, lots of colorful parrots everywhere.... Yeah Australia is definitely on my list of places I want to go to.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
King parrots are so beautiful! :heart2: