• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So... how to start...? Update (long)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Or you put nutriberry inside the cage and they go there to get it?
Ours do it this way. We make sure they see us dropping a nut into their bowls then step back while they hurry in, then close the door while praising them. Luv Bug is not food-driven so she still needs to be carried to her cage and placed inside. We put a nut in her food bowl to be fair, but then we also pour a handful of beads into her toy bowl and she's happy. :)

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy is potty trained. He goes to his cage on his own or sometimes (like any 3 year old) he'll try to hold it. Then I have him step up, put my hand in the air & count to 3 & he'll fly. To go in his cage so I/ my kid can shut door he gets the cracker. We show it, ask what he has to do for it? As he climbs down & in we take 2 fingers thru bars of cage over water bowl. As he's dunkin & eatin we're closin & lockin. It's basically the only time he gets a cracker so like Zoo Mom it's a special treat, & I loved your update too.

We were afraid to handle him when we first got him. He was a unexpected gift, always having fur babies, we were unsure if we could keep him. He's got bad days just like anyone but I'm so proud of how far he's come in almost 2 years. Being close to (I think) 25, there's so much he didn't do. Now he does...
Fly, hang upside down, just to start. He had bad atrophy now hes chunky compared to being underweight. The chunky isn't fat tho, it's muscle, He's so strong! This was a ton of work. I'm disabled, He's almost always w/ & on one of the 3 of us. Always being monitored.

I don't clicker train maybe in his future. I only work w/ him when I can be excited, when I can be patient, when WE can have fun, I try to mix it up (they get bored too). There are days where it aint happening. Today was his day for wrong time, wasn't a normal train time, he wasnt having it, after 3 rd time I gave up. I felt myself feeling frustrated. I didn't want to get mad. So I gave it up. If that happens to you try to remember it needs to be relaxed & :p fun. You have every day for the rest of your lives & tomorrow is another day. You more than likely will set your training backwards if you push :bash: & especially if you loose your :banghead: temper. He trained me w/ that 1st thing!

I mention this to help. My hubby is 1 of the most patient ppl I've ever met. Even he's lost patience. It's so easy when you have a! Three yr. Old on crack. :hehe::dance4::hehe::lol:

:grouphug2: Rain

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
We were afraid to handle him when we first got him. He was a unexpected gift, always having fur babies, we were unsure if we could keep him. He's got bad days just like anyone but I'm so proud of how far he's come in almost 2 years. Being close to (I think) 25, there's so much he didn't do. Now he does...
Fly, hang upside down, just to start. He had bad atrophy now hes chunky compared to being underweight. The chunky isn't fat tho, it's muscle, He's so strong! This was a ton of work. I'm disabled, He's almost always w/ & on one of the 3 of us. Always being monitored.
It looks like you put a lot of work and patience into Buddy. I honestly admire it. I admire you because I already have some idea what it means. And Edgar is young, so I think it is easier to train him than adult bird with health issues. I think it is very wise to wait for the right moment to train your bird because he can feel your frustration. It is a good reminder. Right now I have a lot of patience for Edgar (I'm patient person in general) but I know that there will be days when I get frustrated or angry. Or Edgar will have bad day and will not cooperate. For such days I will keep your words in mind.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks like you put a lot of work and patience into Buddy. I honestly admire it. I admire you because I already have some idea what it means. And Edgar is young, so I think it is easier to train him than adult bird with health issues. I think it is very wise to wait for the right moment to train your bird because he can feel your frustration. It is a good reminder. Right now I have a lot of patience for Edgar (I'm patient person in general) but I know that there will be days when I get frustrated or angry. Or Edgar will have bad day and will not cooperate. For such days I will keep your words in mind.
There's a few times where I have the we're gonna get it done, & Buddy's like... Meh, boring. Those days are the hardest. He's training me to be patient & to suck it up. Lol! Have you found your way to the TAG part of the site yet? Also, I recommend looking into building or buying foraging items. It would be something your daughter may enjoy. Things like toilet paper rolls, egg cartons, maybe a $4-5 purchase of crinkle paper & or some paper string. If she's into craft sort of stuff. All the kids in my whole family are into that stuff. Plus they feel like they've contributed w/ Edgar to keep him healthy.

If you search foraging or forage you can view different ideas. I can't remember if there's a whole board here for it.

:grouphug: Rain

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
There's a few times where I have the we're gonna get it done, & Buddy's like... Meh, boring. Those days are the hardest. Rain
Oh, yes. I've had it already. I wanted to do some trainig, Edgar didn't want to cooperate, he couldn't concentrate, was interested in something else. I then asked him to do the simplest trick (just to finish with something positive) and I ended the training sesion before it even fully began. You are right, bird can teach you to be patient. And understanding.
Have you found your way to the TAG part of the site yet?
Not sure what you mean. The African Grey Alley? If so, then yes.
Also, I recommend looking into building or buying foraging items. It would be something your daughter may enjoy. Things like toilet paper rolls, egg cartons, maybe a $4-5 purchase of crinkle paper & or some paper string. If she's into craft sort of stuff. All the kids in my whole family are into that stuff. Plus they feel like they've contributed w/ Edgar to keep him healthy.

If you search foraging or forage you can view different ideas. I can't remember if there's a whole board here for it.

:grouphug: Rain
My daughter is not into craft but I totally am. I make beaded jewlery, micromacrame jewlery, and I'm crocheting (now I stopped for a while because I have to find the way to make it without Edgar's help. He would be so interested in colorful beads. Most probably I will make the jewlery after putting Edgar to sleep). Anyway, I already made some foraging toys for him and he likes them.
It turns out though that my husband is into craft. I never knew. He really enjoyed making a stand for Edgar (two stands in fact: a big one and a small one). Now he is helping me in making climbing wall for Edgar (in fact I'm helping him. He does most of the work. Ok, let's be honest: my help is just telling him what I want and where :)

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He does most of the work. Ok, let's be honest: my help is just telling him what I want and where :)
:rofl:

It's cool that he does that! It's just like my hubby when he was younger. Good that Edgar likes foraging toys.

These are some of the best pages written on ways to do foragin stuff. I love the overalls idea. Never tried it tho.

Heads up its a ton of reading.

Foraging

can't remember if someone here had it posted or if I found it. I went thru a ton o f research about it when I realized my dad handed Buddy everything. Either in a bowl or literal handing. Now I still hand Buddy stuff but he works for some too! Too bad your daughter doesn't like that stuff. Is she old enough to give you a break from anything for him? Being a Mom is a ton of work! oh, & yes African Grey Alley. I'm glad you found it.

Rain

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
:rofl:

Foraging

Too bad your daughter doesn't like that stuff. Is she old enough to give you a break from anything for him? Being a Mom is a ton of work!
Thank you, thank you, thank you! This page is great. I will try some of this ideas.

As for my daughter she is 18 and she could help me if I asked her. She is not as crazy about Edgar as I am and that's why she is not engaging herself so much in taking care of him or spending time with him. I knew it even before I got a bird. When I talked with her I told her that I will not ask her to do a lot with a bird on daily basis but I ask that she shows herself to him at least once a day and if something happens (like I'm sick or something) she will help me to take care of him during my sickness or absence.
So I'm not asking her for a break unless I'm very tired or incapable. That was the agreement.
Fortunately Edgar likes her.
He doesn't like my husband though which makes me sad because my husband did so much for me and Edgar. Edgar doesn't attack him but looks like afraid of my husband. I don't know why, really. He has no reason to be afraid. But when my husband has sunflower seed in his hand, suddenly Edgar decides that he is quite safe and takes the seed just from his hand. My husband tries not to show it but I know he is a little hurt by Edgar's attitude.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well I understand the daughter part, shes @ the age where she's doing her own thing. The hubby thing could just be jealousy. We have that issue w/ Buddy. He will go after my hubby's hands but only during his mating times. Or if he's being really ornery & having a really bad Buddy day. Most of the time they get along great as long as I'm not holding him. There's not much consistency, & my hubby is an animal lover. It breaks my heart to see the hubby get sad when it does happen. The hardest part of the bird stuff is all the reading. I never thought there was gonna be so much w/ him. Work & stuff. But I wouldn't trade him either.

:bighug: Rain

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@zoo mom and @Rain Bow and @faislaq thank you so much for the advice about special treat as a reward for going to the cage. It's working!!! Hurrayy! Today Edgar went to his cage four times by himself! I'm so proud of him. And I'm very grateful to you. I wanted to teach him that skill because even though I can take him into my hands and easily put him into his cage, the rest of my family are afraid to do so. It will be much easier to everyone if Edgar goes to the cage by himself.
The only problem is, that the reward is some kind of slightly sweet Polish cracker. Tomorrow I will try with something healthier, but today I wanted Edgar to warm up to the idea, that's why I used this cracker.
Anyway, thank you so much for great advice.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
@zoo mom and @Rain Bow and @faislaq thank you so much for the advice about special treat as a reward for going to the cage. It's working!!! Hurrayy! Today Edgar went to his cage four times by himself! I'm so proud of him. And I'm very grateful to you. I wanted to teach him that skill because even though I can take him into my hands and easily put him into his cage, the rest of my family are afraid to do so. It will be much easier to everyone if Edgar goes to the cage by himself.
The only problem is, that the reward is some kind of slightly sweet Polish cracker. Tomorrow I will try with something healthier, but today I wanted Edgar to warm up to the idea, that's why I used this cracker.
Anyway, thank you so much for great advice.

If it is just a small piece and only when he goes into his cage it should be ok.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
If it is just a small piece and only when he goes into his cage it should be ok.
Well.... it was just a small piece but several times: each time when he went to his cage he got rewarded. In fact he didn't get a lot of it (more like crumbs then pieces) but still... The problem is that he goes in and out of his cage few times during the day.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
He's adorable!! I think you made a great decision on Edgar!!