• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So... how to start...? Update (long)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Hi,
first of all, I would like to once again say big thank you to everyone for your help, advice and sharing. I really appreciate all of your replies. They were and still are very helpfull to me.
Now, the update. So, after a lot of thinking and a lot of talking with my family (here I would like to say that my mother should become a saint, really. I called her at least once a day (usually twice) to tell her my thouthts, to talk with her about pros and cons, and so on. And she endured it with great patience. I was fed up with myself but she wasn't and was listening to me anyway). So, after a lot of thinking and a lot of talking I decided to go to the breeder, talk to him and make a decision. I found the breeder with good opinions from Polish forums and made the appointment. I bought cheap cage just in case because I wasn't sure if I will take a bird. The appointment was only for conversation.
I went, I talked, and... I ended up with TAG. TAG!!!! Not Amazon. TAG!!!. Five months TAG, male. How did this happen?
I'm quite reasonable person. I really tend to think before doing especially with big decisions. But this time my reason seemed to go on vacation and decided to stop working for a while.
Anyway, I ended up with TAG and this was one of my best decisions ever. The same day I ordered a proper cage.
We named him Edgar (my daughter wanted this name because she loves Edgar Allan Poe). We have been living together with Edgar for over a month now and he is wonderfull. Really.
He is smart, fun, curious, loving, gentle, smart, nice, beautiful, smart, easygoing, and did I mention smart?
He likes our training sesions. He really does. He is fully flighted bird and we train on my desk. He can fly off very easily, but he doesn't. And he likes beeing praised. He listens so intently when I tell him how smart he is, how quickly he learns, how beautiful he is. He sits on my hand, or on the desk, looks ad me, pins his eyes and listens. So far he learnt step up, step down, high four (like high five but he has four fingers after all), hi (whet he puts his paw on my hand), turn (when he does full turn around himself), bow and come (it is when I want him to fly to me). The last one is quite funny, because Edgar doesn't always want to come when I call him. When he doesn't want to come, I show him a clicker (which is bright yellow). He knows that clicker means reward (sunflower seed) and comes immediately.
When he stays home alone, he is very calm in his cage. He plays a little with his toys, eats some pellets but mostly he just goes into his Zen mode, when he sits on the perch and thinks about... well something important, I'm sure. I observe him throuhg camera.
When I'm back, I let him out and he plays with me or on his stand.
He is quite open minded regarding new foods. Doesn't mean he likes everything but at least he tries everything I offer. At the breeder he was eating only seeds (mostly sunflower) and bananas. I converted him into pellets (Harrison's High Potency Coarse). It went quite well, took about three weeks and now he loves the pellets. And some vegetables too (like green peas for example). Sunflower seeds are only for rewards during the traing now.
As for new toys he is a little hesitant at first and needs some time before accepting new thing.
Each day he is showing more of his personality. At first he was quiet and very polite. Now not so quiet, more curious, more brave and well... more vocal if he doesn't like something (i.e. beeing put into his cage when I'm living for work). He is growling (really, almost like a dog) and nipping my fingers. I tell him to stop nipping my fingers and he does, but he has to make some growling comment about it.
Now I will finish. I noticed I tend to talk too much if I talk about Edgar. I alrealdy asked all of my collegues to tell me to stop if I talk too much about my Edgar.
Anyway, thank you all for every bit of help. Capt. T. your video is a great inspiration for me. I will try to recreate some of the tricks from your video, ok?
Last thing: may I stay here or should I move to African Grey Alley?

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Pictures please

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
You can visit both forums. We will always love to hear about your Edgar, but you may learn more on the African Grey forum. Congratulations on a happy relationship with your new birdie! We are all glad for you.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
how wonderful to hear how you and Edgar are getting along! A smart bird and a great "parront" (parrot parent)
As for where to post, it is probably more useful for people wishing to learn about Greys if you post in that section. Most folks read the forum like I do - we just hit the button for "new posts" and don't worry about which section posts were made in. So we'll see you where ever you decide to post more about Edgar.
:goodjob:

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
. Congratulations on a happy relationship with your new birdie! We are all glad for you.
Thank you.
how wonderful to hear how you and Edgar are getting along! A smart bird and a great "parront" (parrot parent)
As for where to post, it is probably more useful for people wishing to learn about Greys if you post in that section. Most folks read the forum like I do - we just hit the button for "new posts" and don't worry about which section posts were made in. So we'll see you where ever you decide to post more about Edgar.
:goodjob:
Thank you :)))
As for posting, I thought about posting in African Grey Alley, but I wanted to give some update for all of you here, because you got so wonderfully involved with my learning about parrots. I thought that maybe you would like to know what happened and I wasn't sure if you would read the Grey Alley.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Sounds great so far! I'm sure you know this already but expect some changes 5 years down the line or so. xD The fact that you're already training him and have converted him to pellets is amazing though. I think training really helps mitigate some problems later on (from what I've heard). Sometimes the training I've done with my bird is the only thing that can bring her back to reality when she's particularly fussy and grumpy. Well, and the baby voice I do and telling her how great she is usually softens her up, but still.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I know about possible changes in the future when he gets hormonal. I hope I will survive mostly intact :))). I also think that what we have now may change in a few weeks. What I mean is he is still adjusting to the new house. He lived at the breeders for little more than five months and only five weeks with me, so I think we are still at the honey moon phase. Although he appears more sure of himself each day. But I'm counting on his gentle personality.
You know what is funny? When he gets excited about something and I put my fingers too close, he accidently bites too hard. I know it's an accident because there is no aggresion in Edgar. I say "ow" and he releases me immediately. But when he is angry about me taking him to the cage, and he is nipping my fingers, he controls the pressure of his beak. Like he knows that he could hurt me and he wants to avoid this. So his angry nips are much more gentle than his accidental nips.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on getting Edgar. Post some photos when you get a chance.

Linearis

Walking the driveway
I know about possible changes in the future when he gets hormonal. I hope I will survive mostly intact :). I also think that what we have now may change in a few weeks. What I mean is he is still adjusting to the new house. He lived at the breeders for little more than five months and only five weeks with me, so I think we are still at the honey moon phase. Although he appears more sure of himself each day. But I'm counting on his gentle personality.
You know what is funny? When he gets excited about something and I put my fingers too close, he accidently bites too hard. I know it's an accident because there is no aggresion in Edgar. I say "ow" and he releases me immediately. But when he is angry about me taking him to the cage, and he is nipping my fingers, he controls the pressure of his beak. Like he knows that he could hurt me and he wants to avoid this. So his angry nips are much more gentle than his accidental nips.
I think it's because the accidental nips are just an instinctive response/reaction. He's not even thinking about it, it just happens so he's not controlling the strength.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
I think it's because the accidental nips are just an instinctive response/reaction. He's not even thinking about it, it just happens so he's not controlling the strength.
Yes. I think that as well. For me this means that Edgar is gentle even when angry. It really is amazing that young bird when angry can controll himself. He has to think: this is my parront doing something I don't like, but I don't want to amputate her finger. And all of this while being mad.
Accidents are just accidents. They don't count. He cannot think about beak preasure when he is all into observing the birds outside the window and I'm interrupting. Besides his accidental nips aren't that hard. He never draw blood never even left the bruise.
But you know what? I just realized that for a few days now he is not protesting when I put him into his cage. He just accepts it even without growling.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Love your intense style of writing about Edgar!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Edgar is a little darling! Ok I know I'm gonna probably get yelled at for this...

We trained My Buddy to get in his own cage with a... Cracker. Now it Absolutely has to be a Keebler Town House saltine (reduced salt) & now understand it's a piece. Usually 1 row of dots for a Dr. Cracker... (W/R. Palm oil) or his 1 or 2 times a day with 1/2 that mount to get in his cage. We show it too him & ask him what he's gonna do for it & bam, he hops/climbs in.

In the beginning he'd ask for cracker. We didn't know that any & all food he called cracker. That's how it all started.

:congratsbig: On your new fid

:hug2: Rain

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@Linearis you never know when the new knowledge may become useful. Edgar was quite naughty yesterday. He decided that computer mouse is his enemy number one and has to be destoyed immediately. And I couldn't persuade him otherwise. He become angry, and was quite nippy. So I made impromptu training sesion. We did all the tricks he learned so far and this channelled Edgar's energy. It worked. He got calmer after this and happily chewed one of the cardboard pieces I have for him to chew. The computer mouse can keep it's life for now. So thank you because it is you I got this idea from. :)

@Rain Bow is your Buddy just going to the cage by himself? Just following the cracker? Wow. I'm trying to teach Edgar to go to his cage by himself. I tought him to target a chopstick and he does this quite nicely (gets rewarded by sunflower seed) but he wouldn't follow it to his cage by himself. Any tips how to do it?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
First I don't think your reasoning went on vacation. It decided to follow your heart. I loved reading your update.

Second when I want my birds to go into their cages, I give them a nutriberry. They love them and it is the only time they get them.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Ooo, this is a good idea. Give Edgar something superextra, something he gets only when going to the cage. I will check out nutriberries.
But how you do it exactly? You tell your birds to go to the cage and then give them nutriberry as a reward? Or do they follow your hand with nutriberry in it? Or you put nutriberry inside the cage and they go there to get it?
Edgar will not go to the cage by himself. When it is time to put him inside, I tell him that it is cage time and then just take him in my hands. He is not protesting now (he was a little unhappy at the beginning but now he is ok with it). Then he gets a reward (sunflower seed) and praise.
It looks like he doesn't like to go to his cage, except... when he is inside, he looks quite happy. He plays, eats and sits on the perch. He is calm.
First I don't think your reasoning went on vacation. It decided to follow your heart. I loved reading your update.
Thank you :)