• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneaky bird

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
What makes it funny is that he will stand by his target for a bit, then slowly get closer. He does this to food, paper, and any sort of string materials lol

I watched him go for my breakfast--this is not the first time he's done this... Worry not, I didn't let him get any.
20180822_085929.jpg
20180822_085930.jpg
20180822_085933.jpg
20180822_085934.jpg
20180822_085936.jpg

Has anyone else seen this with their birds too? Lol

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
How cute is Peeps. I love the way he is holding the spoon lol made me chuckle.

I cant let mine out the whole time due to the dog..the dog goes outside for acouple of hours and the birds are then safe. I have learnt Charlie is very comfortable being out. .I think because I have seen his egg, him hatch, and grow from a fluffy chick to a youngster, he is very much at ease. He is incredibly cheeky and lands on anything. His curiosity is very much like Peeps. He was balancing on my sons cup the other day. Luckily it was empty. Still early days so exciting times ahead. Sherbet is also getting brave bit still edgy. She is never far behind Charlie though.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:rolleyes: Oh yeah, real sneaky there, Peeps.

Our G2 Luv Bug does that. Thank goodness for the warning! :roflmao:

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Gemma if I may ask, where are you located?
I only ask because Peeps looks exactly like a canary I hand-raised and sold in 2016, right down to the details of the spot on his head.
:jawdrop1: that would be cool!

I live in the Central Valley, but I actually received Peeps from my uncle last year because he got a new parrot at the time--though I think he got him about a year before.

My uncle works for AT&T, and according to him, a canary breeder he worked for gave him Peeps. I tried to ask him about the breeder, so I could contact the person to confirm Peeps's true age, but he told me he didn't remember. He lives in LA/Vanuys area.

Serin

Well I'm in Chicago - so it must just be a resemblance!
Most canaries are not so tame, but the one I sold was. Combined with the same markings, it seemed a bit too much to be coincidental, but it must be. I sold my bird to a young woman, but I lost touch afterwards.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
How cute is Peeps. I love the way he is holding the spoon lol made me chuckle.

I cant let mine out the whole time due to the dog..the dog goes outside for acouple of hours and the birds are then safe. I have learnt Charlie is very comfortable being out. .I think because I have seen his egg, him hatch, and grow from a fluffy chick to a youngster, he is very much at ease. He is incredibly cheeky and lands on anything. His curiosity is very much like Peeps. He was balancing on my sons cup the other day. Luckily it was empty. Still early days so exciting times ahead. Sherbet is also getting brave bit still edgy. She is never far behind Charlie though.
He thinks everything in my room is his (kinda true though...) :laughin:

Oh yes, safety is important! I've seen a video on facebook where a cat appeared to be testing/pawing at a lil bird that was obviously frozen in fear. I couldn't believe the owner would just stand there and record! It's good to hear that they still get some time out though when the dogs are outside. Do dogs try to go for birds the same way cats do?

Charlie sounds fun! I bet Sherbet will get comfortable a lot quicker if she can see that Charlie is safe :)

Last edited:

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Well I'm in Chicago - so it must just be a resemblance!
Most canaries are not so tame, but the one I sold was. Combined with the same markings, it seemed a bit too much to be coincidental, but it must be. I sold my bird to a young woman, but I lost touch afterwards.
Awe darn, and here I was getting excited at the possibility~
I would wonder too though, the details sound so strangely similar. I hope the young lady is taking good care of your bird though. :)

This is a bit of a stretch, but did you know if she was a breeder??? What are the odds of a breeder acquiring a bird, and bringing it to another state...? It'd be a really long trip though... o_O

Serin

I don't know her name anymore but I don't think she was a breeder. She responded to a craigslist ad for my handfed canary babies (mom didn't feed, so i fed them from day one.) She had told me she had two parrotlets, and this would be her first canary.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
I don't know her name anymore but I don't think she was a breeder. She responded to a craigslist ad for my handfed canary babies (mom didn't feed, so i fed them from day one.) She had told me she had two parrotlets, and this would be her first canary.
Aw, well I hope Peeps's coincidental twin is doing well :)

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
:rolleyes: Oh yeah, real sneaky there, Peeps.

Our G2 Luv Bug does that. Thank goodness for the warning! :roflmao:
They are so fun!

He tries... :laughin:
He's even sneakier when I'm sewing. He's gets all squaty and slow as he approaches the threads. In the off chance that he is successful, he makes eye contact then flies for higher ground ahahah

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:laugh: love the last pic!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Peeps is so cute. Burt is not subtle at all when he wants something, he just pushes his way to whatever it is he wants lol.

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
Peeps is so cute. Burt is not subtle at all when he wants something, he just pushes his way to whatever it is he wants lol.
I thinl if Peeps were Burt's size, he'd do the same thing :laughing2:

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
He thinks everything in my room is his (kinda true though...) :laughin:

Oh yes, safety is important! I've seen a video on facebook where a cat appeared to be testing/pawing at a lil bird that was obviously frozen in fear. I couldn't believe the owner would just stand there and record! It's good to hear that they still get some time out though when the dogs are outside. Do dogs try to go for birds the same way cats do?

Charlie sounds fun! I bet Sherbet will get comfortable a lot quicker if she can see that Charlie is safe :)
Charlie is definitely helping Sherbet become more settled. Sherbet will fly out of the cage 1st now. I would rather my house birds were in the aviary. The aviary birds are kind of free like Peeps, but circumstances were against Toffee and Willow; and Charlie and Sherbet.

Unfortunately our dog is small and good at catching rodents..its his breed. We live in the country where there is lots of wildlife . I wouldnt trust him with my birds if one was loose. He will chase anything animal/bird wise that moves..he is too quick. Saying that he is very well behaved when they are in their areas. My old dog bless him was a bigger cross breed...beautiful dog. He would have just watched and licked them if he had the chance. I can imagine a hen pulling at his long fur for a nest lol. .he'd have run off lol.

I loved reading the bit where Peeps sneaks up and goes in for the threads..brilliant. .very cheeky indeed. Your right, it is his room..a very lucky Peeps