• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Snakes again of course!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I love the snapping turtle, keeps the noodling scene interesting :) not that noodling is a thing in motherland England, might keep swimmers from shallow waterways though.

Well they are doing the best to round them up or destroy them. They are considered an invasive species.

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
That is understandable. As I noted before on this post that there were knuckleheads who decided to let their big snakes go free in the state of Florida. The impact on other species was devastating.

The snakes that have become so invasive are not because of knuckleheads, unless you are referring specifically to mother nature. The reason for the giant snakes in Florida is because of the hurricanes that multiple times destroyed breeder locations and/or pet stores and those animals got out. Do you have any idea of how many knuckleheads out there would need to let their snakes out in order for the vast number of snakes that exist??? Seriously, please do not add to the misinformation about the snake problem in Florida, people need to understand the truth and reality... the problem is not individual people who owned pets. It is ridiculous statements such as what you've posted that lead to the crap the snake community just went thru regarding laws on where you can buy / sell / ship the large snakes.

If there was even a tiny ounce of truth what you want to believe as fact that 'knuckleheads' lead to the snake population problem in Florida, than everywhere the temperatures remain above freezing year round would have this same problem. But they do not... the reason why - because Florida is a major hub for importing and breeding facilities, and it was those suppliers and breeders that lost their stock when the hurricanes literally tore thru and demolished everything.

In no way to belittle the problem with the large snakes in Florida, but this type of mentality of blaming knuckleheads is the reason why there are asinine laws such as Quakers being illegal in NJ and PA. That same type of logic which is leading the parrot community down the same path the snake community has been with laws now in place that parrots such as yellow crested cockatoos and Military Macaws cannot be sold across state lines....

The snake community dealt with this for years, and even tho many of us with interest in both parrots and snakes, kept trying to make everyone understand the reality and the future impact, but many people had this type of 'knucklehead' mentality and now there is a bit of switch in focus to parrots being limited for sale... if only people would truly educate and put aside personal opinions about what they like or deem 'pet worthy'..... I don't see the appeal of having spiders as 'pets', but I fully understand the impact of having ANY exotics, and please believe that parrots fall smack in the middle of that exotic list. In no way are our parrots domestic, they are wild exotic animals.

All I ask is that people truly educate and understand, please do not blame 'knuckleheads' for the snake population in Florida anymore than it was 'knuckleheads' who helped the Quakers establish flocks and colonies in NJ, NY and CT.....

Sylvester

Hit the Road
The snakes that have become so invasive are not because of knuckleheads, unless you are referring specifically to mother nature. The reason for the giant snakes in Florida is because of the hurricanes that multiple times destroyed breeder locations and/or pet stores and those animals got out. Do you have any idea of how many knuckleheads out there would need to let their snakes out in order for the vast number of snakes that exist??? Seriously, please do not add to the misinformation about the snake problem in Florida, people need to understand the truth and reality... the problem is not individual people who owned pets. It is ridiculous statements such as what you've posted that lead to the crap the snake community just went thru regarding laws on where you can buy / sell / ship the large snakes.

If there was even a tiny ounce of truth what you want to believe as fact that 'knuckleheads' lead to the snake population problem in Florida, than everywhere the temperatures remain above freezing year round would have this same problem. But they do not... the reason why - because Florida is a major hub for importing and breeding facilities, and it was those suppliers and breeders that lost their stock when the hurricanes literally tore thru and demolished everything.

In no way to belittle the problem with the large snakes in Florida, but this type of mentality of blaming knuckleheads is the reason why there are asinine laws such as Quakers being illegal in NJ and PA. That same type of logic which is leading the parrot community down the same path the snake community has been with laws now in place that parrots such as yellow crested cockatoos and Military Macaws cannot be sold across state lines....

The snake community dealt with this for years, and even tho many of us with interest in both parrots and snakes, kept trying to make everyone understand the reality and the future impact, but many people had this type of 'knucklehead' mentality and now there is a bit of switch in focus to parrots being limited for sale... if only people would truly educate and put aside personal opinions about what they like or deem 'pet worthy'..... I don't see the appeal of having spiders as 'pets', but I fully understand the impact of having ANY exotics, and please believe that parrots fall smack in the middle of that exotic list. In no way are our parrots domestic, they are wild exotic animals.

All I ask is that people truly educate and understand, please do not blame 'knuckleheads' for the snake population in Florida anymore than it was 'knuckleheads' who helped the Quakers establish flocks and colonies in NJ, NY and CT.....

Yes, I am aware of the hurricanes just as I am aware of people letting their snake pets go when it becomes to much of a responsibility to keep them. And yes, there are many knuckleheads out there. My state just put in place a stiffer law for people to own tigers and bears. About time. Before that, people would head down south and buy one of those mentioned animals for about five hundred.

And did I mention the idiot who bought a cougar, had all four claws taken out, and then wanted to re-release it back into the wilds? Luckily, somebody intervened.

Or the guy who right before he committed suicide decided to let his whole zoo of animals go loose. All of the animals were shot to death.

And it is always the animal that pays.

Yes, knuckleheads exist.

Last edited: