• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Snakes again of course!

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Some updates and some new guys! I just took the Chinese beauty’s out of cooling and they are going into shed, so should be pairing them up soon. Hopefully I’ll be able to start a new thread on eggs to share with everyone.

River - Suriname Boa

Inara - Suriname Boa

Hypo Jungle Boa

Motley Boa

RC Pastel Boa

Isis - Tarahumara Boa

Motley Jungle Boa

Brazilian Rainbow Boa

Cleo - Purple Sunfire Retic

Albino Female Chinese Beauty - She is turning out to be a little weird in coloration.

Athena - Albino Grey Rat. I actually sold her once but the guy couldn’t keep her and she was returned.

Butter Genetic Stripe Ball Python - Picked her up about 2 weeks ago.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
You couldn't pay me to go near snakes. I think they are beautiful and I respect them but having one as a family member is not my cup of tea.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
Well, uh, as far as snakes go, they are pretty.
Lol they are pretty animals.

You couldn't pay me to go near snakes. I think they are beautiful and I respect them but having one as a family member is not my cup of tea.
Considering I’m broke after all the snakes that would be a no go anyway and if I had money I’d probably buy another instead. They are literally the easiest animal I’ve ever owned. Just remember to feed them once or twice a month, spot clean, and they are satisfied with life. I get enough of the in my face desperation for attention from the birds lol

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
They are beauties!!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
They really are great pets! I wouldn't mind getting another one some day if the hubby could deal with the food. :lol:

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
GORGEOUS!! Beauties! I love snakes, and used to work at a place with a rotating reptile house (they'd "wrangle" snakes from the wild, we'd keep them for a month, and they would be re-released). I loved it in there. However, I could never have one as a pet. I love rodents just as much. ;)

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
they are some beautiful snakes!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Lol they are pretty animals.

Considering I’m broke after all the snakes that would be a no go anyway and if I had money I’d probably buy another instead. They are literally the easiest animal I’ve ever owned. Just remember to feed them once or twice a month, spot clean, and they are satisfied with life. I get enough of the in my face desperation for attention from the birds lol
To me they are simply not pets. I have always felt that Herpetologists or zoos should have them. And Florida is overrun by them because of stupid irresponsible snake owners.

But your snakes are cool looking, and well care for, and thank you for sharing pics.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
GORGEOUS!! Beauties! I love snakes, and used to work at a place with a rotating reptile house (they'd "wrangle" snakes from the wild, we'd keep them for a month, and they would be re-released). I loved it in there. However, I could never have one as a pet. I love rodents just as much. ;)
I have had rodents as pets too but they have to eat right! There are actually snakes out there that eat other snakes that I wouldn’t mind owning. It’s one of the reasons I still have my king snake. He can eat any failure to thrives that I might have from breeding.

they are some beautiful snakes!
Thanks!

To me they are simply not pets. I have always felt that Herpetologists or zoos should have them. And Florida is overrun by them because of stupid irresponsible snake owners.

But your snakes are cool looking, and well care for, and thank you for sharing pics.
Florida’s major snake problem occurred after multiple hurricanes because breeding facilities were destroyed and large numbers of snakes escaped. Sure there are idiot people that release snakes into the wild and that doesn’t help at all but it’s not likely to be the major reason. It’s the fact that such a large number of adult breeding age animals escaped that they were able to get such a foothold out there.

The giants are definitely not for everyone to own though that’s for sure.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I have had rodents as pets too but they have to eat right! There are actually snakes out there that eat other snakes that I wouldn’t mind owning. It’s one of the reasons I still have my king snake. He can eat any failure to thrives that I might have from breeding.

Thanks!

Florida’s major snake problem occurred after multiple hurricanes because breeding facilities were destroyed and large numbers of snakes escaped. Sure there are idiot people that release snakes into the wild and that doesn’t help at all but it’s not likely to be the major reason. It’s the fact that such a large number of adult breeding age animals escaped that they were able to get such a foothold out there.

The giants are definitely not for everyone to own though that’s for sure.
All I know is that the snakes were killing the wildlife down there and now they are being hunted. Once again, animals get the short end of the stick.

There are as dangerous as owning a grown tiger, and that shouldn't happen either.

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
I have had rodents as pets too but they have to eat right!
Oh no - I didn't mean anything bad by that. I know they have to eat - I just meant that I don't want to be the one feed them rodents...or other snakes. It would be too hard for me to see! Same with nature documentaries. I know lions have to eat, but I really don't want to watch them kill and eat a buffalo or whatever.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Oh no - I didn't mean anything bad by that. I know they have to eat - I just meant that I don't want to be the one feed them rodents...or other snakes. It would be too hard for me to see! Same with nature documentaries. I know lions have to eat, but I really don't want to watch them kill and eat a buffalo or whatever.
My snake would have to become a vegetarian. :)

Exactly how I feel. It is not entertainment.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

The vast majority of snake owners feed frozen / thawed meals... Feeding is not entertainment, but for those who care about their snakes, feeding 'live' food can be quite dangerous and if a snake gets a bad strike / grab on live prey, the bite the prey can inflict on the snake can lead to serious injuries.

And did I understand the comment correctly, having a snake is as dangerous as owning a grown tiger? I am guessing I misunderstood that...

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer

Great pics... I think I'm the only one to notice that the Xmas table runner is still on the table... :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sylvester

Hit the Road

The vast majority of snake owners feed frozen / thawed meals... Feeding is not entertainment, but for those who care about their snakes, feeding 'live' food can be quite dangerous and if a snake gets a bad strike / grab on live prey, the bite the prey can inflict on the snake can lead to serious injuries.

And did I understand the comment correctly, having a snake is as dangerous as owning a grown tiger? I am guessing I misunderstood that...
They are both wild dangerous animals that should not be owned by knucklehead people. And far too many of them are.

riddick07

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
All I know is that the snakes were killing the wildlife down there and now they are being hunted. Once again, animals get the short end of the stick.

There are as dangerous as owning a grown tiger, and that shouldn't happen either.
If you know how to handle giants safely they aren’t that dangerous. They get more so when people don’t follow basic guidelines for making the interactions safe for everyone. I’ll stick to my lazy hunters over an active hunter like a tiger hahaha

I didn’t think you did! I’ve always had no problem with watching the whole cycle but I know it’s not for everyone:) I do feel bad when I see documentaries sometimes!

Making sure my snakes don’t starve to death isn’t entertainment... I feed mostly frozen thawed not because I have a problem feeding live but it’s just easier than having live feeders around to care for until the snakes eat. I used to feed a lot of live but it’s more work than dethawing frozen feeders. I still have one live eater that won’t take frozen so far but feeding it isn’t something I watch for enjoyment or something.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
They are both wild dangerous animals that should not be owned by knucklehead people. And far too many of them are.

wild.... but so are parrots...

And way more blood has been shed in our house from parrot beaks than snake fangs.... way more.... way way way....