• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Smelly Vent

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Hey everyone,

So I noticed this evening that my almost two year old GCC had an odor to her, which is unusual. So after some examination I found the source to be her vent area, and it has a yeasty type smell to it. I know birds can get yeast infections, however I can't seem to find more information.
She is eating normal and I have not noticed any changes in her behavior. I am going to call my avian vet ASAP in the morning, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do or should know? Basically all I am going off of is that her vent has an off smell. Can anyone point me in the direction of additional info or share past experiences? I am pretty concerned at the moment.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
It will be a yeast infection if it smells like one. She will need some swabs done and most likely you will come home with nystatin, which is an antifungal.

Not too much to be done once its set in, see your vet tomorrow is the best thing to do.

Avoid high sugar foods and breads.

Try Apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, papaya.

Last edited:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I will call them first thing and schedule an appointment. While I know all medical issues in birds are quite serious, should I be as extremely concerned as I am now? Life threatening? I'm also wondering how she developed it. From what I've read yeast is present in their digestive tract naturally, and yeast infection is generally brought on by poor diet, unclean cage, stress. She's on Harrisons lifetime and gets veggies and fruit for dinner nightly. Could any of it be hormone related? And how contagious is this for the rest of the flock?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I don't want you to be unalarmed but if she is acting fine you should be alright until morning. It usually presents in the mouth and works it's way through so I do want you to get her in tomorrrow. She may have had it for awhile.

It could also be other things but I'm going on your observations. If it smells like yeast that's usually what it is. Maybe she also has a bacterial infection that brought it on. These things are not uncommon for birds.

Keep things clean, I disinfect produce and areas with F10 which is safe for birds. Keep her away from your other flock if possible until you see the vet.

Last edited:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
She's acting normal, maybe a little extra clingy but I credited that to hormones. She was just at the vet last month for her check up and everything came back normal. They open at 8a so I will call right away to get her in. Hope I didn't miss signs of a problem and caused it to get worse.

We did make mango bird bread two weeks ago, maybe that added to it.

I will order the F10. I see two types on amazon, f10sf and f10scxd. Which type do you recommend and usual guidelines?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I use and purchase directly from my above link. F10SC.

You won't be able to pinpoint an exact cause. Just have the vet check her out and see what he says. Things happen, it's quite common. They are little buggers that stick everything in their mouths. :)

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Ordered the F10SC. Should get here by the weekend. I see there are different options for concentration: general disinfecting 2ml to 1L, heavy duty 4ml to 1L, and highest as 8ml to 1L. Any recommendations on concentration?

Thanks for your help and advice. I tend to be a pretty big worry wort with my birds, and this GCC is my "heart bird" so I am particularly close to her. I'll see what the vet says and try to eliminate any causes. Hoping my avian vet will be in tomorrow, I like her a lot but she has limited hours.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Stupid question, but do you mix in a spray bottle?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little girl is okay! I think that since she went to the vet a month ago and tested fine, you probably caught whatever it is early enough, and that she will be okay. I know how we worry about our birds, so I thought I'd just mention that so hopefully you can get some sleep tonight!
:hug8:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I'll pick up a spray bottle this afternoon. From what I understand F10 is safe for practically everything and can be used near the birds and doesn't need wiped off?

Thanks @Tiel Feathers I got a little bit of sleep last night. Extra coffee for me this morning though.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
So I am at a loss. My vet isn't in until Monday, and all the places they recommended as emergency centers don't have an avian available at all.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
So I am at a loss. My vet isn't in until Monday, and all the places they recommended as emergency centers don't have an avian available at all.

Call them back and ask if you can bring in a fecal sample for testing. You want a wet mount / gram stain.

Ask if they have in house testing and will get the results today.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
None will since the vet isn't available to look at the sample. Earliest appointment is Monday morning with my vet. I've called every place in my area, including up to an hour away and no luck.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Okay, last chance call worked out. Earliest appointment is at 10am tomorrow with a different vet at a different clinic, but I'll take it.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime at home? I leave for work too early in the morning to see the birds, but my wife said she was acting normal this AM.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
You could add a few drops of ACV to her water. Feed some papaya, probiotic or coconut oil. Once it's there ( if it's yeast ) there is not too much to do to cure it without medications.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Don't panic! It could be yeast, or it could also be a change in bacteria causing the smelly vent. Neither of which are generally life threatening. There isn't a lot of evidence that probiotics work in birds because of the huge variation in gut flora, so I wouldn't waste money on that. Just make sure she stays happy and eating :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Did you call the animal hospital on Camp Horne Run Road? Completely drawing a blank on the name at the moment. Although they don't have an avian vet on staff, there is a woman vet there who has birds of her own and is the vet that will see all birds when she's working. I probably have her name at home. I took Sunny there once when he was sick over the weekend as my regular vet doesn't have weekend hours. PM me if you want. I hope your birdie is okay. Keep us posted.