• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Smelly Vent

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Don't panic! It could be yeast, or it could also be a change in bacteria causing the smelly vent. Neither of which are generally life threatening. Just make sure she stays happy and eating :)

Jen works for a fabulous avian vet. :) In fact my vet wanted to hire her and she turned it down! ;)

If her words make you feel better. :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Back to the subject of F10. Since you are feeding so many fresh fruits and vegetables, I recommend that you rinse the stuff then soak it in a sink full of water with 10ml of F10 in the water for 1 hr. Put a lot of ice in the sink with the F10 and stuff too. This will kill any microbes/fungus/spores that is on the veggies/fruit and by cooling it off very well it will last longer without spoiling.

Fungal infections in the digestive system are not horribly serious and your baby is going to be fine.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Best of luck at the vets... sending healing thoughts and hugs :hug8:

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thank you everyone for your responses and words of encouragement. I'm home with her now and she is acting normal and has been eating all day. The yeasty smell seems stronger, but that might just be me worrying about it.

My vet faxed her previous records to the vet I am taking her to tomorrow so they have her prior history.
I bought some apple cider vinegar today and a new spray bottle and scrub brush for the F10.

@sunnysmom, the hospital you mentioned was going to be my next call if this place didn't work out. It's good to have connections there.

My concern right now is the rest of the flock. Without knowing for sure what it is, I don't know how contagious she is to my other birds. Ill keep them separated, but they are in the same house and in relatively close proximity to each other (within a few feet).

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Well the vet check this morning went well. She did a float test and a fecal smear and found that Alex's yeast levels were normal but other bacteria counts were only slightly elevated. The vet said everything else looked good and did not want to prescribe her any antifungals or antibiotics as there was no sign of any issues. She believes the smell is a result of the slightly elevated bacteria count, but wants to try avian probiotics and a reduction in fruits and bird breads first. She recommended Bene Bac Plus and Avitec's Candida Yeast Be Gone. Candida Yeast BeGone and Bene-Bac Plus Powder: Super intestinal ailment cure, aids in digestion
The vet also thinks hormones might have something to do with it. So overall not necessarily conclusive, but a little comforting.

@Macawnutz you mentioned ACV in her water. How frequently and at what concentration? We use it for ourselves occasionally and do 1 tbsp for 8 oz of water, is this suitable for birds? We do give them coconut oil occasionally, so I can offer that as well. We rotate between that and RPO. And your suggestion of papaya, I am assuming because it has antibiotic/antifungal properties?

The F10 arrived today. I will get it mixed up tomorrow. Basically all I have to do is spray in on any surface to clean, and just leave it? Including toys, perches, ropes, etc?

Last edited:

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Papaya would help to alter the pH in the GI tract which would make it a less friendly environment for bacteria and yeast to grow. It's interesting that your vet did a float, are you sure it wasn't a wet mount and a gram stain?

I'm glad that there wasn't anything wrong! It was a good call to get her checked out anyways :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would double check with your avian vet. Have your records sent to your vet.

Fecal float sounds like a non avian vet.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Papaya would help to alter the pH in the GI tract which would make it a less friendly environment for bacteria and yeast to grow. It's interesting that your vet did a float, are you sure it wasn't a wet mount and a gram stain?

I'm glad that there wasn't anything wrong! It was a good call to get her checked out anyways :)
I would double check with your avian vet. Have your records sent to your vet.

Fecal float sounds like a non avian vet.
I believe @Milo is correct in a wet mount and a gram stain and I am incorrect when I said float. The records were sent to my vet regardless though.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
No worries! It's easy to get confused if you don't use the terminology a lot. It sounds like they were as thorough as they could be with the fecal testing. Honestly I wouldn't bother with the probiotics and the yeast be gone. If it were present in the feces they would have seen it on the gram stain. Probiotics are very iffy on if they work or not, especially considering how many different species there are and the different flora of each bird. It won't do any harm to give her the probiotics if it makes you feel better

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Thanks for the tip with the probiotics. Would you recommend the ACV in the water?

Used the F10 today to wipe down cage bars.

Last edited:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Well the smell has not gone away and it's been a week. I have a follow up appointment scheduled with my normal vet this coming Tuesday, just to be safe. She's still eating and acting normal, but I want to be careful. She actually said her first intelligible phrase the other day while on my shoulder while I was doing dishes- "what are ya doing".

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Have them redo the gram stain and if there is still a population of gram negative bacteria ask for a round of broad spectrum antibiotics.