• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Smallish birds vs big birds

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley

I have no small birds, what's your story like? ;) What's a typical small bird day consist of?

It's fairly simple at least for me. They sleep in my bedroom and I uncover them and give them a nutriberry before I leave for work. Keep an eye on them via camera. When I get home, they'll usually be napping (because the sun will have set) but will wake upon hearing me. Fizz screams; Roca sometimes adds her voice too but her contact call is a whistle and not unpleasant.

I let them out and they climb on me for an hour or so, then I put them away and make dinner for myself and them. They usually get either a chunk of bird bread with red palm oil or some mash. I put a bit of whatever veggies I'm making for myself on top, sometimes a bit of pasta, cheese, rice, etc. Just depends on what I'm having. I eat and they eat, and then they're out for the rest of the night. I change their water and pellet bowls before putting them to sleep.

While they're out they either just fly and sit on the blinds or they sit on me and bug me while I'm trying to do whatever I'm doing. I do get bitten sometimes but I've become good at recognizing the signs and avoiding it usually. While I cook, they'll scream for me from the bedroom. It can get annoying because if Fizz knows I'm home, he'll scream sporadically for me, and when they're out, I can't do much because they'll try to chew everything :/

One thing that's hard about small birds is that they're always on the move. Big birds need more space by virtue of being bigger, yes, but they also seem to be content with sitting calmly. I've seen so many big birds out and about just sitting calmly on their owners' shoulders, or hanging out on a perch at an animal park or pet store. Small birds, mine at least, could never do that. Everything startles them, and they fly off. They like to fly circles around the room for no apparent reason, and everything needs to put away or else it will be chewed/eaten. They're never still the way I see big birds being. You always need to keep an eye on them.

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
I think amazons are the perfect size, not small but not giant. Thier bulky build does make them more potatoes than smaller birds which I kinda like, not a zipper around the house, more of a calculated fly and easier to catch if you need too! I am really biased though as I am a true Amazon snob. I also like to feel some weight when I hold a bird, feels more stable. But what it really comes down to is not the size but the connection you have. If Pacos soul was suddenly put into a hummingbird I would love him the same.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I have a green cheek conure, cheeky. Her cage sits in the doorway to my kitchen.she will wake me at around 8 am saying hello, kissing, and cheeky. Who could resist that. I make my coffee and give her blueberries or apple, and she's content while I watch tv an hour. Then I dress do a couple of chores in kitchen and then get her out for an hour. Have vinyl on kitchen table with ladders,perches,stuff to climb on and toys. I sit with her while she does what she wants. Sometimes a cuddle, she plays on and off me and rides with me to do laundry etc. wings are clipped. Then I put her up with sweet potatoes or corn for lunch ,she always has pellets in cage.i go to gym for a couple of hours and have a snack near her at table.get her out for another hour or so while I watch tv at table. Put her up with a treat while I fix supper etc. husband comes home , we eat next to her and then get her back out for another hour or so.then it's lights out for her at 8:30. She has los of toys and seems content with her life . Have to watch her when she's out so she won't get in trouble or chew up something off limits. Loves cell phones remotes iPads and such. When she can't se me she will call for me.no screeching, just hello, wacha doin, hey cheeky. She's my little buddy and I never feel alone

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
One thing that's hard about small birds is that they're always on the move. Big birds need more space by virtue of being bigger, yes, but they also seem to be content with sitting calmly. I've seen so many big birds out and about just sitting calmly on their owners' shoulders, or hanging out on a perch at an animal park or pet store. Small birds, mine at least, could never do that. Everything startles them, and they fly off. They like to fly circles around the room for no apparent reason, and everything needs to put away or else it will be chewed/eaten. They're never still the way I see big birds being. You always need to keep an eye on them.

You are not describing large birds VS small birds. You are describing clipped birds VS not clipped birds. :D

My guys don't sit still, they are flying crawling hanging chewing running everywhere all the time. The difference between mine and yours is if one decides to land on me and I'm not ready often they don't have time to turn around and they slam into your body. Nothing like a giant 747 macaw crashing into your head or chest. :p When I do the dishes, they are in the sink. When I fold laundry, they steal the basket. They ride the vacuum and fly off with the dust pans. :wideyed: Its hard to sweep the floor with a macaw hanging from your pony tail. I would love to say my macaws could be unsupervised... OMG I'd have no house! Not that they would allow no supervision as if I shut the bathroom door they are strong enough to push down the handle and let themselves in. If you were to lock the door they would remove the trim before you could pee. ;)

@aooratrix :laugh: Do your macaws still still?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I think amazons are the perfect size, not small but not giant. Thier bulky build does make them more potatoes than smaller birds which I kinda like, not a zipper around the house, more of a calculated fly and easier to catch if you need too! I am really biased though as I am a true Amazon snob. I also like to feel some weight when I hold a bird, feels more stable. But what it really comes down to is not the size but the connection you have. If Pacos soul was suddenly put into a hummingbird I would love him the same.
I understand the sentiment. I only really like small-ish birds, they fit my lifestyle and personality better. I'm also aware some people just have that connection with larger birds. I wouldn't consider myself a 'bird person' in general, I'm more of a 'my birds' person. I was never really serious about wanting a bird until I met Rainbow. Rainbow and Nafesh just sort of fell into my life, I didn't set out for a particular species. If anything happens to them I know I won't be able to keep the same species again as I'll just be reminded of them but I'm hoping I won't have to deal with that for another 10 or 15 years at least. Owning a bird is not like any other pet I've had, it was almost surprising how attached I became to them.

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley

You are not describing large birds VS small birds. You are describing clipped birds VS not clipped birds. :D

My guys don't sit still, they are flying crawling hanging chewing running everywhere all the time. The difference between mine and yours is if one decides to land on me and I'm not ready often they don't have time to turn around and they slam into your body. Nothing like a giant 747 macaw crashing into your head or chest. :p When I do the dishes, they are in the sink. When I fold laundry, they steal the basket. They ride the vacuum and fly off with the dust pans. :wideyed: Its hard to sweep the floor with a macaw hanging from your pony tail. I would love to say my macaws could be unsupervised... OMG I'd have no house! Not that they would allow no supervision as if I shut the bathroom door they are strong enough to push down the handle and let themselves in. If you were to lock the door they would remove the trim before you could pee. ;)

@aooratrix :laugh: Do your macaws still still?

You're probably right about the clipped vs unclipped distinction. :D I wonder if there's any truth to the small birds = hyper, big birds = calmer stereotype though

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

You're probably right about the clipped vs unclipped distinction. :D I wonder if there's any truth to the small birds = hyper, big birds = calmer stereotype though

I think not. If they were properly fledged, even the macaws fly first and think later. My macaws are much MUCH more hyper than say my amazons.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey

I have no small birds, what's your story like? ;) What's a typical small bird day consist of?
Hmm- I wake up, and let Grumbles out for about an hour while I feed him and get ready for school. I then put him away and go to school. When I get home, I let him out until I go to bed. Unless I am away from home he is out with me, and is either troublesome or sweet haha. Usually both though. If I leave the room I have to put him away- I don't trust him to not destroy my room. He yells at me if I leave though, but only a few times. On weekends unless I am gone he is with me- whether it be chewing on my homework, screeching at my clarinet, or supervising my drawing, he is always up to something. :)

What is your day like?

:coffeescreen:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Hmm- I wake up, and let Grumbles out for about an hour while I feed him and get ready for school. I then put him away and go to school. When I get home, I let him out until I go to bed. Unless I am away from home he is out with me, and is either troublesome or sweet haha. Usually both though. If I leave the room I have to put him away- I don't trust him to not destroy my room. He yells at me if I leave though, but only a few times. On weekends unless I am gone he is with me- whether it be chewing on my homework, screeching at my clarinet, or supervising my drawing, he is always up to something. :)

What is your day like?

:coffeescreen:

Hmmm, long version or the short version? :laugh:

I have a LOT of birds. ;) I wake up early enough to get two cups of coffee in me before anyone wakes up, anyone meaning human or feathered. After getting my son to school I start making birdie breakfast. The kids come out bright and early. On days that I work they are out for about three hours. During those three hours I have maybe about 15 minutes without a bird on me. They even turn on and off the water for me when I brush my teeth. If I'm very lucky, I can finish in the bathroom without having a bird shower in the sink... if they shower in the sink then I might as well clean the bathroom... it's wet already. :D I go to work and start the other flock, they all need breakfast too. They are out for about three hours while I clean cages and get food ready. Once finished I have to clean the front room as they have trashed it. Lunch time hits and my work flock goes into eat while my husband feeds the home flock. I have about three hours to then play with horses before returning to the work flock. After performing the bird show my guys get another hour or so to play before going in for dinner. When I get home from work I get that flock out again until bedtime. I make chop and play with birds. It's really a rough life. ;)

I have a lot of birds but I don't think one more or one less would change the amount of time they take up. When I'm at home the flock is out, they are never caged when we are home. When they are out they want attention, there is really nothing you can do without including them. They are family, when the husband wants snacks for a football game, the birds get snacks too. They carve pumpkins, have easter egg hunts, presents on xmas.... It's really just like having a few more kids. I don't know what it's like to have small birds but the big ones are comparable to a toddler all the time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Not even a little true. :)

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey

I have a LOT of birds. ;) I wake up early enough to get two cups of coffee in me before anyone wakes up, anyone meaning human or feathered. After getting my son to school I start making birdie breakfast. The kids come out bright and early. On days that I work they are out for about three hours. During those three hours I have maybe about 15 minutes without a bird on me. They even turn on and off the water for me when I brush my teeth. If I'm very lucky, I can finish in the bathroom without having a bird shower in the sink... if they shower in the sink then I might as well clean the bathroom... it's wet already. :D I go to work and start the other flock, they all need breakfast too. They are out for about three hours while I clean cages and get food ready. Once finished I have to clean the front room as they have trashed it. Lunch time hits and my work flock goes into eat while my husband feeds the home flock. I have about three hours to then play with horses before returning to the work flock. After performing the bird show my guys get another hour or so to play before going in for dinner. When I get home from work I get that flock out again until bedtime. I make chop and play with birds. It's really a rough life. ;)

I have a lot of birds but I don't think one more or one less would change the amount of time they take up. When I'm at home the flock is out, they are never caged when we are home. When they are out they want attention, there is really nothing you can do without including them. They are family, when the husband wants snacks for a football game, the birds get snacks too. They carve pumpkins, have easter egg hunts, presents on xmas.... It's really just like having a few more kids. I don't know what it's like to have small birds but the big ones are comparable to a toddler all the time.
Wow! Sounds amazing but definitely a lot of work! (Is it nutz? ;) ) Must be a very rough life :lol: I would love to have a B&G someday- though I'm sure I won't have as many birds (no less large birds) as you haha. I will have enough animals to care for if I Become a vet :D

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

You're like a goddess. With poop. :hug8:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't really think smaller parrots are too much less intelligent or complex than the big birds, but their needs are 100x easier to meet. Not only is it much easier to provide them with a spacious cage, but they are also far less destructive and can be allowed out of the cage a lot more. And they can comfortably fly around in the average home, which isn't true for many big birds. So small birds are just overall much less work to provide with better care, compared to larger birds.

Larger birds are longer-lived, a little easier to handle in some respects (for example, harness training very small birds is difficult), and some people just seem to feel that small birds are too flighty or delicate. And of course some people do just get larger birds because they are more impressive or showy, though of course that's not a good reason.

I have small birds only and will stick to small-med small species in the future, too, I think (though I have been thinking of getting a pionus in the future). Smaller birds are so easy. Mine don't get into trouble, so they get to be loose all day. They fly over when they want attention and aren't overly demanding. Well, Cheeky would cuddle with me all day if allowed, but is very good about playing by herself quietly nearby as long as I acknowledge her now and then.

Last edited:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow! Sounds amazing but definitely a lot of work! (Is it nutz? ;) ) Must be a very rough life :lol: I would love to have a B&G someday- though I'm sure I won't have as many birds (no less large birds) as you haha. I will have enough animals to care for if I Become a vet :D

You should have a BG someday. :xflove: I'm pretty confident you would be a great macaw mama! Is it nutz? Yes! There are days my house reminds me of the clay lick videos, just crazy birds flying everywhere. What saves me in many respects is the "flock" I have. None of them are really friends but they are all a flock. If one warns, they all warn so I have few birds that cry wolf. If one bird is naughty, 99% of the time another bird tattles on them. You don't need eyes in the back of your head if you listen and understand flock sounds. :laugh:

You're like a goddess. With poop. :hug8:

Oh my, I gave the short version... which included no poop talk. :laugh: Any god like abilities I possess are yet to be seen. I'm attempting to save my genie wishes for when my three male five year olds get to "that age". ;) I will need all my nine lives... and a few of yours if you have any left. :D

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

One of my mom's moloccan cocakatoos is more hyper than any of my guys. There is nothing my lovebird likes more than to cuddle with people. Whereas that cockatoo likes to run around a lot.

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
some people just seem to feel that small birds are too flighty or delicate.
The only negative I have with the small birds is how incredibly fragile they are. We've had our fair share of injuries and all were done to the smallest birds who think they're 10 feet tall! I love my little 32g spitfire but because of his size he can really cause me to worry.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
I think one advantage of the big ones is that you cannot (easily) just step on one or sit on one and go 'squish'. You know where they are (usually) and not ones that are easy to hide, at least not with the size of the tails on the large Macaws.

I can also understand why some people at least think, if not have a touch of fear even, in the size of the beak. On a lot of days I wonder why people would think that but then I can get nailed and it reminds me but I never let that stop me as I knew from the get-go what some of those beaks are capable of.

I also don't look at little birdies as being any lessor then the big birdies. All that matters is the love in everyone's and every birdies hearts and what my heart calls to - is my Macaws.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I don't think there are small birds and big birds, I think there are also medium birds, which I have!:) I also don't think it's all about size. Species has a LOT to do with it. My Linnies are so awesome and I never thought in a million years I would have little birds. Of course, I don't interact with them on the same level I do the rest of my birds because I keep them in a flock and they are hand shy. I love to watch them play with toys and play with each other though and they do interact with us on their own terms. I think they are incredibly intelligent and I buy more toys for them than I do for my bigger birds because they are cheaper and more fun because they last a little longer and tend to be a little cuter...sometimes.

Our medium sized birds are awesome too but on a whole different level and vary from species to species. We have Amazons, most of whom are very easy going and not demanding at all and don't go through many toys...Amarillo, my sweetest, is the biggest perch potato ever and just loves a scritch every now and then and doesn't make much of a mess at all. Then there is Iris BFA who constantly wants Jon's attention or Amarillo's attention and is a HUGE attention hog. Not much of a toy player, not much of a mess maker though. Then there is Abigail who loves attention but doesn't demand it and loves toys...somewhere in the middle there. Finally we have Nibbles LCA who loves to talk to you and loves it when you talk back...likes attention but isn't real hot to trot on touching. She's also a huge toy freak too. All the Amazons, with the exception of Iris are pretty easy going, not really demanding. Now, let's talk Cockatoos...they are demanding of attention 24/7 regardless of size and are huge mess makers and noise makers and need huge cages, and will exhaust you, no matter how you dice that potato!:) I have four greys...three of them aren't incredibly needy, one, the one I raised from a juvenile, incredibly needy...medium mess makers...medium chewers. I'm finding they are hard on their cages and do best in SS cages...well, the Timmy is ok in a powder coated cage. The Eclectus...easy to entertain themselves in pairs, HUGE MESS MAKERS! Love attention, but because they are paired together, they are good together. Easy on the toys. Of course, this is just my birds...each bird is definitely an individual.

Now, I love the Pois, but I've never lived with one. I find them to be extremely intelligent and just as hard as my medium sized birds to clean up after and keep happy. They might need a slightly smaller cage but that's about all the difference is. After spending a lot of time watching videos from Webchirp, I've fallen in love with the Green Cheeks. I would never own one, but it's apparent to me, that they require just as much attention and love and are every bit as complicated. Lovebirds and Parrotlets...their bites scare the crap out of me! I think the true difference is really only the size of the cage, the size of the mess, and the size of the toys and in some cases, the size of the toys may not matter so much!;)

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
i think, its a matter of mindset.
For any bird, inhome space can never be large enough, wether you have budgies or Macaws.

That said, i used to have budgies, and they are wonderful in an aviary, but would never in my life ever again go without my 2 Senegals and my Amazon.
They are the most wonderful, precious thing that happened to me :) yes, a large bird means a large commitment, but once you are truely ready for this, you will learn true companionship. They rely on us more then the little ones do. They make us aware of our responsibility's. And to me, they teach things about myself. Not to say i was egoistic, but beeing single most of my adult life i have never had to "account for things". If i wanted to party all through the week, i did just that. If i wanted to eat junkfood all week, who cares?

Now, i am responsible, not for a budgie, who are in no way less intelligent (but i think different), but as said before.. for a child that never grows up. I cant spend my week partying or eating junkfood, i need to plan my days because there is someone depending on me. It teaches one things about himself.. And that, i wouldnt trade for anything in the world.