• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Small cage for blind senior lovebird?

Ankou

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I've been looking online most of the day at small cages for Peanut and I'm really having a lot of trouble finding something I really like.

One thing that's become very clear the last few days, she can't stay in her flight cage. Her arthritis has made her grip very weak, even with control and she's been falling. Plus it's just getting harder for her to get around, even with a lot of her living space being platforms and rope perches.
Last night she fell hard enough to chip her beak, tonight she is in her teeny travel cage. I can hear her clicking around in there while she tries to learn the layout and it's breaking my heart, I made it as similar as I could to her old cage (she is essentially blind) but there is only so well you can translate a flight to a small cube.
It might be her travel cage ends up being her night cage and I just leave her cage-free during the time I'm at work too (she's already cage-free while I'm home.)

But what I'd really like to find is a sorta long cage that isn't very tall or too wide.
I've been looking at rodent cages specifically but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places or not using the right search terms because I'm not seeing anything I like, they all have a bunch of acrylic bits and stuff like that. Others are very square.

I'll resume my own search in the morning but in the meantime can anyone help me? Do you know of anything that fits what I'm describing or do rodent cages have terms like we use for bird cages I could use to narrow my search?

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have this cage for Xena, she is blind too but has no falling issues(excuse the queen’s mess:shy: She had only been home for a little over a week and I am delaying stressing her out with a full cage clean)
24F66CAC-B62C-406B-AB40-4DEE13ED0F68.jpeg
Not sure what it is called, I think this is similair:
Bird Cages: Flight Cages for Parrots, Parakeets & Cockatiels | PetSmart
I am so sorry Peanut is having all those issues:( Sending get well wishes!:hug8:

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
a lot of people take a cage like this , fold back the side, and tie another one to it. Or 2 more. Gives them long but not tall space.

I don’t know if that’s the model, none of my white ones fold so you’d have to go to the pet store and look at them to see which one it is.Or, with the ones that dont fold, it looks like a matter of unbending 4 ends to remove a side.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I know how heart breaking it is as I am going through some of the same things. Making these changes so she doesn't get hurt are hard. I would get some blankets or towels and put them in the bottom for now until you can get something permanent for her. The cage @finchly posted looks like it would be a good fit for her. It's something I have been looking at for when Gracie's other eye starts getting bad.

I am still waiting for my dad to send me the platform to block off the bottom of Gracie's cage.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Porter I don’t have that model but I know people who do. It’s apparently a fantastic cage.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I have the Prevue Hampton Deluxe for my elder tiels.
You have the option to remove the divider but be careful of the gap between cage spaces.
It is a great cage but a little difficult to clean.
Glad That I bought it.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
Thank you all so much! It's late again so I'll likely look through them tomorrow since I don't work but I really wanted to say how grateful I am. Seriously, your kind words and helpful suggestions really mean a lot to me and it's deeply appreciated.
Peanut spent her night in this thing and I think it stressed me out more than her but... you can see why I don't want her in here while I am at work for half a day. (for scale, pretty sure that's a 5-6 inch platform.) She's too weak for her flight but not "1 cubic foot of space" weak.

Last night she slept on the rope perch and didn't try to climb and find the higher perch as far as I could tell spying on her. I'm glad about that, she was so stubborn about getting to the highest perches in her flight cage to sleep on. I really do hope in a new cage she will stick to the bottom 4 inches if that's where I hang everything and not go climbing everywhere seeking higher points since it's unfamiliar.

I honestly did just do my best to make sure her out-of-cage space was extra bird safe, had everything she'd need, and left her out while I was at work. She seems to have done fine, she is used to being out alone (just not for 5 hours straight,) and she seemed normal when I got home. She acted like she always does when I've just stepped out for a couple hours with the dogs.

Today was a hectic day though and I didn't have much time to do any shopping of my own or look through your suggestions. Zeus had an emergency vet appointment because he was leaking anal gland fluid. :grumpy: Then I got to clean up a dozen small blotches of 'juice' he'd left scattered around the house and on the furniture. :depressed:
I've never been more glad my bed is in the bird room and not the dog space.

Last edited:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Oh my goodness you poor thing. I bet that smelled like roses.

I like the one @CrowCall posted. I think it would be a good fit and something I am going to have to remember for later.

I know she will be fine @Ankou and I know how hard it is when things start getting harder for them and there isn't much we can do. Gracie had a moment the other day when I was trying to get her back in her cage and she fly over skidded off my arm turned around mid flight and dropped right to the bottom of her cage. I about freaked out and she is just sitting there like "Um you need to pick me up and cuddle me mom" Her depth perception is way off because she only has one good eye right now.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@metalstitcher I am not a fan of that one. It Is kind of flimsy and as I recall it’s The one that can only use its own feed dishes; all our others have slightly bigger dishes so we have to be sure the dish goes to that particular cage. Whereas among the other cages we can use any old feeder. Also doesnt’ have a side window for a bath...

I like the Prevue 30x18x18 myself.

Although the reviewers say they use zip ties so maybe that makes it sturdier.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
For me it is not very flimsy so far, not the sturdiest though. The food dishes are okay for Xena, she usually uses the ones on the bottom anyway so for her it is not a problem. I was thinking of adding my Own food cups at first but ended up not doing that(so far). If the other one is known to be sturdier though I would surely go with that one, as I am a bit more careful with Xena’s cage. Could also be I lucked out and got s sturdier one:p And I have only had it for two weeks:) Perhaps a critter nation could work too?

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Gracie has a hard time climbing on to food dishes so I have a flatish dish for her snack food when she is out with me and hubby. I was looking that the Prevue one as well and I do like it but I just don't know about the bottom because of the rise in the center with the split on the breeder one. I love the fact that one comes with a stand and has a rack underneath for food and toy storage.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine