• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

<sigh>

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I joined 2 CAG boards on fb. I don't think I can stand it. No nastiness like the other fb page we all know about... but my goodness. People who have no idea what they are doing. Birds flying away because they took them outside without a harness or any other safety measure. Small, barren cages that would be too small for a finch. Dowels, dowels, dowels. Feeding seeds to big birds as their the food source. People asking if they should withhold food so they can train them. People who have no idea of what they are doing and did absolutely no research. I am fairly new to all this and have learned a lot from this board but I researched and spent time with a knowing bird owner before jumping in. I worry that I do not provide a good enough home for Louise, she is a queen in a palace with a buffet compared to what these folks are doing.

Last edited:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I'm sorry. It hurts to watch ignorance you can't change. :( Will any of them listen to your suggestions?

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I could not be a part of groups like those; I couldn't take it. I understand that there are people like that out there, but if I cannot stop them or help the animals I have to not watch. :sad1:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sad to say there is much ignorance in the world of companion bird caregivers. We can only try to enlighten these individuals through education. I figure if our voice helps just one bird it was worth the effort. I am in a FB show budgie group with world wide membership.
You would not believe the filthy conditions some of the birds live in . Others have nice clean aviaries. I will say something when the cages and perches need cleaning.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Sad to say there is much ignorance in the world of companion bird caregivers. We can only try to enlighten these individuals through education. I figure if our voice helps just one bird it was worth the effort. I am in a FB show budgie group with world wide membership.
You would not believe the filthy conditions some of the birds live in . Others have nice clean aviaries. I will say something when the cages and perches need cleaning.

:hug8:Thank you for that.

jax7271

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Honestly...I can't handle most of the Facebook groups I have seen....when I first heard about the nasty group that preys on people for fun, I was shocked at the meanness directed at people they don't even know without grounds and there is just so much negativity being hurled around there....who needs that in their lives?
I enjoy reading and learning from the two forums I have chosen to join and although I am not the most prolific poster (yet).....people are actually nice here....lol!!!
:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Facemob is the worst place to get any advice. The blind leading the dumb.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am in a group, I hardly visit it because it is run by a Bird Nazi. Most recently, this person gives their advice (followed by about 6 more messages, full of Links to their OWN documents)....it’s like they spam the person asking the question and then THEY LOCK THE THREAD. So only the group owner can answer questions! :faint:

Worse, some of the advice is incorrect. It kills me. I’d like to quit the group but I would like for the members to know why people are leaving the group. Which they won’t.

BTW @Sweet Louise people ask about withholding food for training because someone suggests that. Parrot Wizard maybe.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
@finchly , is it correct to with hold food for training? I don't think it would work at all for Louise...Then again, I don't really train her, I let the birdette be a bird. She will step up but not so much more than that.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
My goodness Ella does so much without treats or food rewards. I would never ever withhold food from the sweetest thing ever in my life Ms Ella. She naturally does everything for praise and excitement.

BolfieKun~

Moving in
Real Name
Magikarp Splashington
I'm glad people like you exist, I wouldn't have birds without you guys. You make things so much more fun and bring light to the bird communities :) (sorry if that sounded sarcastic its not i promise)

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I don't think I could replicate this site on fb. People here care about birds and learning how to enrich their lives. I don't think it exists on fb...and I just don't understand it. Thought it would be cool to see more birds and hear more stories. It's just to sad. I found this site because I researched. Some of the questions on fb are so basic you have to wonder how they could find the fb group but not know how to complete a basic google search... And while I know some stuff about birds, I am by no means an expert, that is why I come here, plenty of experts.

Hotpockets

Strolling the yard
@finchly , is it correct to with hold food for training? I don't think it would work at all for Louise...Then again, I don't really train her, I let the birdette be a bird. She will step up but not so much more than that.
Withholding or restricting food is something that is done in dog training. You're not starving the dog, just making the dog work for their food. The idea behind it is not only does it increase motivation but it also makes it easier to control calories in overweight pets. I'm not sure how that would work with birds.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I don't think I could replicate this site on fb. People here care about birds and learning how to enrich their lives. I don't think it exists on fb...and I just don't understand it. Thought it would be cool to see more birds and hear more stories. It's just to sad. I found this site because I researched. Some of the questions on fb are so basic you have to wonder how they could find the fb group but not know how to complete a basic google search... And while I know some stuff about birds, I am by no means an expert, that is why I come here, plenty of experts.
I belong to FB horse groups and while I may not agree with all of their approaches, we are usually on the same page. Too bad the bird groups are not the same way.

Last edited: