• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shredding Toys for Small Parrots?

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
The other thing that my lovebirds really love is seed rolled up in a bit of napkin. You can get holiday napkins fairly inexpensively after every holiday, and they are bright colored and fun. I trim them into four separate pieces and then put seed in and roll them up. I tie the loose ends with tiny zip ties. Or you can use some string. Usually I just put seed in. But, today I added the additional task of shredded paper. We shall see how that goes! They really look forward to chewing through the napkins looking for the seeds. Usually, it is the firs thing they go for in the mornings!
I am so gonna try this one myself. I bet even my big birds would love opening a present pouch like that to find goodies inside!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Wait....you can buy balsa wood at hardware stores? Like Home Depot? Where are they located? Thanks

Pensfan

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Timothy
I find my balsa wood at hobby stores (RC and model planes, trains, & automobiles, etc). They have tons of it for building RC airplanes, boats, etc and you can buy it any size from paper thin strips through 1/4" thick panels 2ft wide by 4ft long. It is CHEAP!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
May have to drive to Hobby Lobby to look

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
I go to hardware store buy balsa tree and cut up, tread it on wire for fake flower arrangements and voila, Perfectly sized shredding toys. Beside when you buy the balsa tree you can choose how wide ect you want the wood to be, it's really easy to cut and birds love it. Mine are like woodpeckers when they get these homemade toys.

@Valkyria I would love to see a picture if you have one! (Or was that the one hanging with love hearts in a later post?).

Also, a question to all... is normal coloured paper and cardboard ok to use for toys? I noticed some polka dot paper and card in some posts above. I have heaps of stuff from $2 shops and art/craft stores wondering if safe to use?

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
I would say no on the cardboard unless it was used to package food. The glues used to bind normal cardboard is not safe for even skin contact much less for birds to have it in their beak. Food packaging cardboard, however, has to be food safe by law in most countries, even the inks though I get a tad iffy with inks.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
@Valkyria I would love to see a picture if you have one! (Or was that the one hanging with love hearts in a later post?).

Also, a question to all... is normal coloured paper and cardboard ok to use for toys? I noticed some polka dot paper and card in some posts above. I have heaps of stuff from $2 shops and art/craft stores wondering if safe to use?
I got none at home right now as woodpeckers been at it, however I'm going to restock during weekend if time permits and I take some pictures, they ain't fancy looking however they ain't lasting long so it doesn't bother me :heart: