• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Shredding Toys for Small Parrots?

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara doesn't have much interest in toys yet (due to never having any before she came to me) but she does enjoy shredding paper. I was going to go out and grab her calculator paper on a roll so I can hang that up and she can just tear into it endlessly. I was wondering what other shredding toys your small parrots like (DIY or store bought)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My tiel liked the fingertraps with the crinkle paper stuffed inside. I would also let him shred a small magazine- like a Readers Digest. He loved doing that.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How about some balsa wood toys?

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I go to hardware store buy balsa tree and cut up, tread it on wire for fake flower arrangements and voila, Perfectly sized shredding toys. Beside when you buy the balsa tree you can choose how wide ect you want the wood to be, it's really easy to cut and birds love it. Mine are like woodpeckers when they get these homemade toys.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
My lovebird used to shred paper.
He also chewed up broccoli.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I used finger traps with decorative paper doilies shoved in either end as a stepping stone to other things for both birds. They both now love those, the zig zag shredders, balsa, cork, paper rope, and sea grass things.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
finger traps are the bomb with my 2, especially if I add something into the center that is a treat to work for.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
This is a never ending source of amusement for my twins. I just fasted peices of paper between the wooden peices. It also add the amusement of swinging and twisting while shredding. Sorry about pictures, light is coming in from outside.

Attachments

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
Besides the balsa and cork bark, finger traps and other great ideas, mine love to shred napkins. I put a few seeds inside of a quarter of a napkin, twist it up and then fasten the end with a tiny zip tie. They love to tear through those for the seeds. I also use crinkle paper stuffed into things and the budgies love to pull that stuff out. They also love to chew on plastic straws that have been spiral cut. It is like chewing gum for them!!

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
My budgies like tearing the newspaper liner in their cage and on their play area. They also shred small planet pleasure toys.

I absolutely recommend the kabob toy. It is messy but they LOVE tearing to apart. They destroy it in less than a week. It took them several days to start shredding it when they first got one, but now they go after it the first day I put one in their cage. I wish they were cheaper with how quickly they destroy it.

http://t.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/wesco-bird-kabob-toys

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Kamara is feeling better so I hung up the calculator paper in her cage. I tried to show her how to play with it (tearing it up) and she was receptive but still isn't interested. Should I continue showing her how it works? She never had toys in her old home sadly so she doesn't really understand play

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She might figure out what to do with it.
You could put some of the paper on to of her cage, so she knows it is paper.

Ppoi

Strolling the yard
Does Kamara seem curious with things or items? I noticed my birds didn't start playing until they were fairly comfortable with their surroundings. Than they became more curious with items around them. They stated "beaking" the toys to test what the heck it is.Than if they liked it they stated playing with it. It takes time for a bird to learn to play. It may take time for her to be comfortable with anything new you put in the cage, even paper.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Does Kamara seem curious with things or items? I noticed my birds didn't start playing until they were fairly comfortable with their surroundings. Than they became more curious with items around them. They stated "beaking" the toys to test what the heck it is.Than if they liked it they stated playing with it. It takes time for a bird to learn to play. It may take time for her to be comfortable with anything new you put in the cage, even paper.
She does nibble at a few of her toys, just enough to test. I praise her for this because I want her to know it's a good thing. She hasn't investigated the calculator paper but she's quite interested in it when I tear it up to show her how it works.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
Finger traps with crinkle shred was the first toy for all the birds I have! They love pulling the paper out, and it is easy to do! The finger traps are crunchy when they play with them!

Big Badeepie

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victor
Zig-zag shredders made out with the same stuff the fingertraps are made from is a winner with my smaller birds. I'll take a length of it and weave it into the cage bars a good bit. My lovebirds seem to love trying to unweave it and chewing it up as they go. Gives their beaks something to do and also makes them think in order to get longer strips of the shredder out to play with. You can also get small wicker balls and they love throwing those around and tearing them apart.

SamandWilley

Walking the driveway
Real Name
DeAnna
The other thing that my lovebirds really love is seed rolled up in a bit of napkin. You can get holiday napkins fairly inexpensively after every holiday, and they are bright colored and fun. I trim them into four separate pieces and then put seed in and roll them up. I tie the loose ends with tiny zip ties. Or you can use some string. Usually I just put seed in. But, today I added the additional task of shredded paper. We shall see how that goes! They really look forward to chewing through the napkins looking for the seeds. Usually, it is the firs thing they go for in the mornings!