• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Should I take in these two budgies?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Terre is doing great this morning! His balance is back, though once again he's lost feeling in one side - hopefully only temporarily. He seems even faster to recover this time than when he had his TIA; he's already eating, and seems to be rather indignant about being back at the vet. He's calling out for his flock and getting no answer, poor baby.

If he's still improving by noon, he'll come back home with me. PHEW!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Poor Terre. I'm so glad he's doing better. Try not to give him foods with vitamin K- like broccoli, as it thickens the blood, which isn't good for birds who have had strokes. I eliminated broccoli completely after my 'tiel had a stroke (and it was his favorite veggie).

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Terre is doing great this morning! His balance is back, though once again he's lost feeling in one side - hopefully only temporarily. He seems even faster to recover this time than when he had his TIA; he's already eating, and seems to be rather indignant about being back at the vet. He's calling out for his flock and getting no answer, poor baby.

That's good news! We all like happy endings.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Actually I was reflecting on the exact same thing yesterday. All those 3 birds are very young still, and they are already been put through so much because of owners who didn't give a damn. 2 lost their sight due to heavy smoking indoor, Ciel had lost a leg to a dog and the owner didn't want to take care of him (her)/ pay the vet. Soleil was given away as a bonus because the kids were getting fed up. I mean, the birds are still babies, and the kids are fed up already?!
And Terre was mauled by a cat who got two more later on...

But how do you check that people will be good owners? Like, those who are very willing and get fed up in the course of a few week because the bird doesn't want to perform all the cool tricks the kids have seen on youtube?!

There is no surefire way of checking every body out that will be good owners. I'm part of the rescue and adoption of birds. I screen people out the best I can. I have turned away many that I could see are not good fits.
For example when they hit me with the very first questions ....do they bite.... Is care expensive, are they loud.....that is all I need to read them and know they haven't done their home work in knowing what goes into a bird.
One couple came to look at a senegal that I rescued...asked who the bird was for, they said their son whom they brought with... He was barely 2 years old!! Ahhh no!!!I said. They ask if it bites...all birds will bite. But ahhh no!!! They weren't happy...tough sh*t! I look for the best fit, I don't look for idiots!
Movies play a big role in the wanting of animals. An example, Beverly hills Chihuahua, the amount of orders for Chihuahua 's hit over 250,000, want to know how many ended back at shelters??? About half that!!!
When the movie Pauline came out, there was a huge up tick in orders for those kinds of parrots....3/4 of those got rehomed!!! Same with Reo the blue macaw...
There is a vast ocean of really stupid people that don't use their Freakin heads out there.
Makes me mad as heck when it comes to animals!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...great news!
I don’t know, but it would probably be better if people weren’t able to walk in to a pet store and buy a living creature for $20. When I got Jo, I was shocked that he cost $21.99. Granted I had already purchased a flight cage, perches, toys etc online but the fact is you are able to buy a bird for $20 and a pet store cage for probably another $20-30 and a bag of cheap seed for a few bucks. Then, a week later when the kids “lose interest” people probably think “at least I didn’t waste too much $”... not even considering the little LIFE that is now stuck in that tiny cage, eating crap food and being ignored or worse :(
...you bring up that age-old moral problem we humans have...we say that living creatures are "objects," "property"...and then, to make it even worse (as if you could make it worse) you put a price on the "object."

Humanity is too smart for their own good...:sad1:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
There is no surefire way of checking every body out that will be good owners. I'm part of the rescue and adoption of birds. I screen people out the best I can. I have turned away many that I could see are not good fits.
Movies play a big role in the wanting of animals.
I'm so glad rehome are at least checked potential owners, but there is a big chance some went to a pet shop after you turned them down. But you are right that movies have a big effect on people. I was in Tanzania some years ago and people there were meeting at a common house to watch American series, which they believed reflected reality. So they all wanted to live in America and be rich while doing nothing all day... As for animals... Harry Potter is a disaster when it comes to crazy people wanting to get themselves a tame owl in their room :bash:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So glad to hear Terre is doing much better.
What a wicked nice surprise :) I hope your babies love the new food as much as their new human and home :heart:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am so glad you both are back home. So glad the surprise box got to you. Happy eating little ones. Did you get sample of Kings Gold? The ingredients are beyond awesome!

Last edited:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I hope that Terre doesn't get another stroke! Hugs for Terre!:hug8:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name