• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I make a presentation?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Be smart and listen!

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Ok so my decision is to find the right bird first (age, color and gender) to make sure that my bird wont interfere with my college life. (I know birds can live a lot longer than expected but I’ll try to find one that is close enough to my requirements.) If the right bird does come along, I will present a slideshow or maybe just a letter to my parents explaining everything. Thank you guys so much!
Ok I have to jump in here on this thread and offer my insight and opinion here based on actual happenings.
When I was your age, many storms ago, I was fresh out of high school and had my first parrot ever pushed into me. A military macaw named lou. I wasn't in no way ready for it. But unfortunate incident, an entire family was wiped out by a wrong way driver on freeway.
I knew the family and lou, and took him in. That was in 1974.
My plans for college got put on hold. My dad explained college is far more to it than you think. And took his advice.
I waited tilI was married, had 3 daughters in their early teens before I moved onto college. By then I had lou still, major and Billy jean, both cockatoo's.
I did 6 years of college and had my wife and daughters to help look after birds and help out.
My point of this story is college is tough my friend, make no mistake about that, and stressful as well as long long hours studying.
I look back on it and can tell you that there would be no way in he11 I would have done that on my own and care for birds...no way at all!!!
Listen, don't kid yourself here about this, birds take a lot of time. And like John said, the only good one right now and deal with college is a stuffed one!! I kid you not.
If you have roommates like saroj mentioned, your going to have problems, unforeseen problems. I guarantee you. And this crap about the right bird? Did you aquire a gennie in a lamp?They all will scream, make a fuss sometimes and want attention when your studying. And try studying with that. The perfect bird is what you put into it, and honestly, you won't have that luxury of time on your hands with college.
And what's is with the obsession of the power point for your parents? Wouldn't a face to face heart to heart conversation work??
Your free to make your own decisions, but I have a crisp $100 bill here that says if you get a bird it will be gone within 4-6 months!
I'm glad you want a bird, but put the idea on hold for now.

Last edited:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Please listen to what people are saying. A bird is not an object, it is a living breathing precious creature. There is no way in reality that you should get one right now. For the birds sake, let the idea go for now
:agreed:

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
I’m not sure how to word this to not get attacked again though I do have to say the good part of me agrees with your opinions but part of me still wants a bird. I assure you, I will not get a bird at this stage in my life. All I have to say is I’m so sorry yet again for offending all of you guys. Ever since the start, I knew I was lying to myself and never in a million years were my parents going to let me get a bird, but I kept holding on to that nonexistent piece of hope that some miracle would occur and I would get one. Obviously, it’s not gonna happen like that. Hopefully, this is just a phase in my life and one day I’ll wake up knowing that I won’t be getting a bird anytime soon. Thank you all have having the patience to reason with me and convince me otherwise. :grouphug2:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

I’m not sure how to word this to not get attacked again though I do have to say the good part of me agrees with your opinions but part of me still wants a bird. I assure you, I will not get a bird at this stage in my life. All I have to say is I’m so sorry yet again for offending all of you guys. Ever since the start, I knew I was lying to myself and never in a million years were my parents going to let me get a bird, but I kept holding on to that nonexistent piece of hope that some miracle would occur and I would get one. Obviously, it’s not gonna happen like that. Hopefully, this is just a phase in my life and one day I’ll wake up knowing that I won’t be getting a bird anytime soon. Thank you all have having the patience to reason with me and convince me otherwise. :grouphug2:
I
Well I must say, finish your college first. You have a good heart, and one that will work good with a bird....just right now timing is not right.
Having a bird is like getting married. Your committed for the life of that bird, and that's many years!
No one here has the desire to attack anyone, we're bird/parrot lovers. We look out for the welfare of all birds. We give advice based upon our experiences, and we pass that along in hopes it sinks in for others starting out with birds and parrots.
All too often a bird gets abused, improper diets, injured or plain sad...and we here don't enjoy seeing or hearing that.
You did not offend anyone, we're here to help, offer advice and guide to the best of our knowledge, we don't however tolerate stupidity from people in regards to birds, parrots and animals.
You can understand where were coming from I hope. We in no way mean to offend you or attack you.

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Please be assured we are not attacking you, consider it us trying to educate you on the seriousness of taking on the care of a bird. Birds are sensitive both emotionally and physically and making that decision is one not to take lightly...for your sake as well as the birds. Everyone here that has welcomed a companion bird into our lives, even in the best of times, have come across some difficulties at one time or another unexpectedly. In your situation life is somewhat changing dramatically over the next few years. Look at this as a learning experience, you don't have to forget your dream of getting a bird, just postpone it until the right place and time in your life. In the meantime maybe it would be a good idea to hang around here and read to educate yourself on some of our experiences with our companions so when that time comes you will be ready to take on the challenge. We wish you well

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Is there a rescue centre you can volunteer at near the college you will be attending?
It may be a good way to get a birdy fix without the full-time commitment ;)

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm certainly not attacking you and you haven't offended me at all. You have a good heart and I'm sure that one day, you'll make a superb bird carer. However, right now isn't the right time for a bird, especially if you're planning on college. I can't emphasise enough how much your life is going to change in the next ten years!

I suspect you're pretty bored at the moment which is why you're thinking so much about a bird. Maybe look into local groups and activities - perhaps there's an art, music, theatre or sport club nearby that you're interested in and which you'd like to join. Local libraries and newspapers often have listings for these. If there's an animal rescue centre nearby and you're old enough to volunteer, perhaps you could do some work there.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I'm certainly not attacking you and you haven't offended me at all. You have a good heart and I'm sure that one day, you'll make a superb bird carer. However, right now isn't the right time for a bird, especially if you're planning on college. I can't emphasise enough how much your life is going to change in the next ten years!

I suspect you're pretty bored at the moment which is why you're thinking so much about a bird. Maybe look into local groups and activities - perhaps there's an art, music, theatre or sport club nearby that you're interested in and which you'd like to join. Local libraries and newspapers often have listings for these. If there's an animal rescue centre nearby and you're old enough to volunteer, perhaps you could do some work there.

Sadly I’m not old enough yet but when the time comes, I can try

Is there a rescue centre you can volunteer at near the college you will be attending?
It may be a good way to get a birdy fix without the full-time commitment ;)

As of right now, I still don’t know which college I’m going to now. But when I do, I can take that into consideration. Thanks for the idea!
Please be assured we are not attacking you, consider it us trying to educate you on the seriousness of taking on the care of a bird. Birds are sensitive both emotionally and physically and making that decision is one not to take lightly...for your sake as well as the birds. Everyone here that has welcomed a companion bird into our lives, even in the best of times, have come across some difficulties at one time or another unexpectedly. In your situation life is somewhat changing dramatically over the next few years. Look at this as a learning experience, you don't have to forget your dream of getting a bird, just postpone it until the right place and time in your life. In the meantime maybe it would be a good idea to hang around here and read to educate yourself on some of our experiences with our companions so when that time comes you will be ready to take on the challenge. We wish you well
Thank you!
I
Well I must say, finish your college first. You have a good heart, and one that will work good with a bird....just right now timing is not right.
Having a bird is like getting married. Your committed for the life of that bird, and that's many years!
No one here has the desire to attack anyone, we're bird/parrot lovers. We look out for the welfare of all birds. We give advice based upon our experiences, and we pass that along in hopes it sinks in for others starting out with birds and parrots.
All too often a bird gets abused, improper diets, injured or plain sad...and we here don't enjoy seeing or hearing that.
You did not offend anyone, we're here to help, offer advice and guide to the best of our knowledge, we don't however tolerate stupidity from people in regards to birds, parrots and animals.
You can understand where were coming from I hope. We in no way mean to offend you or attack you.

I agree!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
You are not offending us. We have to tell people your age all of the time about waiting. You are actually being very mature in realizing that there are a lot of things happening in your life soon and you need to be more settled before getting a bird. When you are ready, we are here. But please stick around. This site will be happy to help when you are.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
You are not offending us. We have to tell people your age all of the time about waiting. You are actually being very mature in realizing that there are a lot of things happening in your life soon and you need to be more settled before getting a bird. When you are ready, we are here. But please stick around. This site will be happy to help when you are.
Thank you :hug8: