• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Should I make a presentation?

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
So now that I know where to put my bird while I'm at college (I won't live on campus), I'm considering making something like a slideshow to organize all my info and present to my parents to convince them that I'm ready to get a linnie. Yes, I'll be very honest with them because I don't want my family to let me get a bird and suddenly give him/her to an adoption center just because they don't like him/her because they weren't like how I described. So maybe I should give a slideshow a shot? I heard many were successful in doing so. Thanks in advance!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
You won’t have control over your environment if you have roommates

MahaSarah

Real Name
Maha
I think you should make a presentation! I remember making a powerpoint and presented it to my parents when I was super little maybe 9-10 years old in ways they could take care of my Amazon Parrot. I think it worked but I barely remember since that was 10+ years ago lol the only thing I vividly remember was making a presentation and presenting it.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
I think you should make a presentation! I remember making a powerpoint and presented it to my parents when I was super little maybe 9-10 years old in ways they could take care of my Amazon Parrot. I think it worked but I barely remember since that was 10+ years ago lol the only thing I vividly remember was making a presentation and presenting it.
Lol thanks for the advice!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes, I'll be very honest with them
You should be more honest with yourself. College life isn't good for any bird or a life any bird wants. It's a rather selfish want IMO.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
You should be more honest with yourself. College life isn't good for any bird or a life any bird wants. It's a rather selfish want IMO.
I feel really stupid but what does IMO stand for?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I feel really stupid but what does IMO stand for?
Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha....sorry...that was funny! It means...lol..........wait for it........it means "in my opinion". They'll teach this in college. Your doing a "slide show" presentation but don't know how to look up and research what imo is ??? That's why I laughed my behind off....sorry it was just too funny!

Last edited:

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Bah ha ha ha ha ha ha....sorry...that was funny! It means...lol..........wait for it........it means "in my opinion". They'll teach this in college. Your doing a "slide show" presentation but don't know how to look up and research what imo is ??? That's why I laughed my behind off....sorry it was just too funny!
:lol:I did search it up but it said International Maritime Organization oops I guess:hehe:

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I made a Powerpoint presentation when I was young to convince my mum to let me get a dog. She just laughed at me. I guess it depends on your parents. :shrug:

I'd wait until you're out of college, personally. You'll be so bogged down with work your linnie won't get the attention she needs.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I made a Powerpoint presentation when I was young to convince my mum to let me get a dog. She just laughed at me. I guess it depends on your parents. :shrug:
If a kid came to me with a power point presentation, I would also have laughed my head off. :)

Talk is cheap. Actions are what count.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think there are still some big challenges that you haven't fully considered. Am I right in thinking that you haven't started at your school in Canada yet?

As you get older, you can expect to spend more time on your schoolwork and on extracurricular activities. By the time my sister and I were in our last years at school, we were involved with music (choirs for me, flute, drums and orchestra for her), sports (swimming for both of us, martial arts for me, netball for her) and lots of schoolwork. I think having some kind of extra-curricular activity is important: you learn new skills, you get to meet people from different backgrounds, they provide a space that isn't school, they teach confidence and patience and persistence. If I had a child your age, I would want them to have the opportunity to do these things so that they could grow into a well-rounded adult.

You don't know how hard it is to find somewhere that will rent to a student who has a pet. Frankly, it's annoying as an adult who earns enough to offer a whacking great deposit which, as a student, you won't be able to do. You don't know what it's like living with roommates, or what it's like to even find roommates who are reasonable humans instead of completely feral. I have stories that will make your hair stand on end!

You don't know what your workload will be like in college. You don't know if you'll be involved in student or social activities. You don't know if you'll have a girlfriend or boyfriend who you'll want to spend time with. You don't know if you'll want to just take off for a weekend just to visit another city or go on a hike or go to a music festival.

I would hate for you to miss out on a lot of fun and freedom. All of these experiences ultimately make you a better bird owner when you're settled enough and independent enough to bring a bird into your life.

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Yes, I did this! It worked wonders for me lol,

But my dad was getting me to do computer courses on how to navigate on my own so maybe they were just impressed or something!

Give it a try! I think it's worth it.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Ok so my decision is to find the right bird first (age, color and gender) to make sure that my bird wont interfere with my college life. (I know birds can live a lot longer than expected but I’ll try to find one that is close enough to my requirements.) If the right bird does come along, I will present a slideshow or maybe just a letter to my parents explaining everything. Thank you guys so much!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ok so my decision is to find the right bird first (age, color and gender) to make sure that my bird wont interfere with my college life.
This is a contradiction in terms. The only bird that won't interfere in your college life is a stuffed one. What would you do if you were to get pregnant and bring a child to college? (That is the what you're really doing). It's going to severely impact what you can and can not do at college. The bird will lose most of those battles.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
As Saroj pointed out, roommates could have differing opinions and could cause the whole bird situation to go downhill fast. So it's something to keep in mind.

Personally, I researched for 5 months before my dad said "okay", I had just turned 14. One of the major rules was that he would not take care of the bird at all, which was no issue for me as I already take care of all the pets. I wrote out everything, searched for an AV, priced out all the beginning supplies I would need. We agreed on a monthly bird toy budget (50$ a month, which I usually save up for the sidewalk sale the vendors have here) as well. Over time my dad came to love Chirp (my budgie), they are now best buddies and he enjoys saying hi to Chirp every day.

Just remember that birds have a long lifespan, over 80 years in some species. Will you be able to care for them no matter what comes up? Will you be able to afford vet bills on a moments notice? What will happen if you can no longer give the bird the care it deserves? If you were to fall ill or to die unexpectedly? These are all things to think about. Any (or all) of these could happen, and if you aren't ready you won't be able to cope.

I'm not trying to make you feel bad, I just want to make sure these are things that you are thinking about.

John is making excellent points, having a bird is exactly like having a child, and they require just as much (if not more) care. What I would do in your situation is wait until after college, after you've settled somewhere and have all the time in the world to give your bird. Anything less is unfair to the bird. If you make poor choices, it is the bird that will pay for them.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Having a bird is sometimes a bigger battle than having young children.....other people generally accept young children must tag along with parents to many things like weekends away, family events that require you to stay a few nights etc but they are not always so accommodating of your birds.
It’s also much easier to find a baby sitter for a human child than it is to get someone to watch and care properly for your birds if need be.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I hate to say it but I agree with others on this thread. Even though you will live with close friends, you do not have 100% control of the situation where you would be living. Birds are loud, messy, and demanding. Finding sitters can be difficult and frustrating if you want to go away for a weekend. And you don't know where you are going to work after college. It would be better to volunteer at a shelter and then get your bird when you are more settled.