• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Seizure

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Glad to hear she's being her usual self! :hug8: :xflove: :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great that she is doing well. My bare-eyed has seizures which seem to be set off when she becomes very afraid or stressed and I can't always predict what is going to stress her out.

CheekyBeaks

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ann-Marie
When Tuki got heavy metal poisoning she was fine in the evening and very sick by morning, she was very quiet, off her food, and vomiting when the seizures started, we also suspected she was having mild hallucinations. X-rays showed she had eaten a few fragments of metal, sadly she passed away by aspirating while having a seizure at the vets.

From what I have experienced if she had metal poisoning she would be showing signs of illness, lack of appetite and vomiting at the least.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When Tuki got heavy metal poisoning she was fine in the evening and very sick by morning, she was very quiet, off her food, and vomiting when the seizures started, we also suspected she was having mild hallucinations. X-rays showed she had eaten a few fragments of metal, sadly she passed away by aspirating while having a seizure at the vets.

From what I have experienced if she had metal poisoning she would be showing signs of illness, lack of appetite and vomiting at the least.
I'm so sorry about Tuki :hug8: No, Josie does not seem to fit that description at all, so I'm thinking it's not heavy metal poisoning for her.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
oh geez, I totally forgot you were in canada :facepalm: :lol:

CeciliaZ

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Sending more good thoughts and prayers...I had a tiel who would have seizures occasionally... :( I never did find out why...

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending more good thoughts and prayers...I had a tiel who would have seizures occasionally... :( I never did find out why...
That must've been so frustrating for you!! :(

QBird

Jogging around the block
Way to go Josie! She couldn't come and teach some of mine could she? Pleased she is doing better now :)

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vet just called back. Still awaiting fecal results, but blood test showed that Josie's calcium levels are on the low side, which, according to the vet, could absolutely have contributed to the seizure. Which is good because she was already put on liquid calcium last night! :) Looking good so far! It's a bit weird though, as Josie is my best eater and has never laid any eggs (touch wood).

Oh, to parronts of egg-layers, vet mentioned that calcium in cuttlebone has a very low absorption rate, as do some powdered forms of calcium. She says this liquid one to be administered orally via syringe is pretty good though.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Vet did mention that low calcium levels might be a by-product, rather than the cause, of a seizure. So we're not sure yet.

VictoriaVague

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
I hope Josie is okay and that it's nothing serious :hug8:

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
So glad she is doing better! How terrifying all of this must be for you. Big hugs!!!!

Did you vet have any ideas why her calcium would be low enough to cause seizures if she's not an egg layer? Sorry to be nosy. Anytime i hear something bad happen to somebody else's bird, i want to know what caused it so i can take precautions to keep it from happening to mine!

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad she is doing better! How terrifying all of this must be for you. Big hugs!!!!

Did you vet have any ideas why her calcium would be low enough to cause seizures if she's not an egg layer? Sorry to be nosy. Anytime i hear something bad happen to somebody else's bird, i want to know what caused it so i can take precautions to keep it from happening to mine!
She didn't say -- I'll have a more in-depth chat with her when the fecal results come back. I hope Josie's not thinking of laying eggs... :facepalm: She had mentioned that seizures themselves can result in low calcium levels, so not sure that's the cause yet.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Ugh. The waiting is so worrisome! Keeping everything crossed for you that Josie pops right out of this and is right as rain in no time

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad she is doing better. My tiel, Snuggles, has stress-induced seizures that he has to receive meds for. I hope Josie does not have any more.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh, and all the calcium in the world is no good without Vitamin D!! Keep that in mind!!