• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Sad Update) My dog got diagnosed with cancer :( I think I need some support.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
This is so hard I know....my chocolate lab coco had cancer...she was almost 17...we had her on lukarain and prednisone to help......we finally had to make the decision to let her go....her last few weeks were very tough.....not fair to keep her going just for us...you are in my thoughts...treasure every moment....

blackivory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chels
We had our ten year old Labrador put to sleep a week ago tomorrow, he had cancer. We only found out how sick he was three weeks earlier.

It really sucks! I truly feel for you and your doggy :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
If on meds, dogs with cancer have the ability to live out their life comfortably. I hope this is the case with your baby! :hug8:

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I am so very sorry . It hurts alot , I have been through that also . I lost my beloved Jeddy 6 years ago to bone cancer. I feel your pain.

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Chloe is on pain medication a couple others, but no, unless she has chemo she will only live 3-6 months. But she isn't in pain, she isn't suffering. One day she is just going to collapse and go quietly. If she's in distress before that, we give her up to God (I need euphemisms right now) earlier. Chemo will only extend her life by 1-2 months, and for the entire time during chemo she will be very sick, and we feel that it isn't worth it. She should spend her time with us being spoiled and loved and being a dog, not being sick.

I'm better now, I'm going to say goodbye tonight and tomorrow morning, and pour as much love into that as I can.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Chloe is on pain medication a couple others, but no, unless she has chemo she will only live 3-6 months. But she isn't in pain, she isn't suffering. One day she is just going to collapse and go quietly. If she's in distress before that, we give her up to God (I need euphemisms right now) earlier. Chemo will only extend her life by 1-2 months, and for the entire time during chemo she will be very sick, and we feel that it isn't worth it. She should spend her time with us being spoiled and loved and being a dog, not being sick.

I'm better now, I'm going to say goodbye tonight and tomorrow morning, and pour as much love into that as I can.
It sucks so bad I am still so heart sick missing my boy. It will be a year Dec 8th and it just sucks. Atleast they removed the spleen. I had not the option but the picture painted to us would be the spleen rupturing and an abdominal bleed. If she stops eating and cannot hold down food or water you will know when it's time. I hate to say this to you but I had just a week with my boy after his diagnosis when he refused his food. The most heartbreaking decision I have had to make, most other times my dog and cats were already at the Vet but he was home with us and I do not know how I got the strength to say we have to do this today.

Mourn now, the day when it comes is sad but some way, some how you will feel peace in your heart that you did the right thing. I feel for you Emily. :hug8: :hug8:

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Chloe's spleen ruptured and she did have abdominal bleeding. She had an emergency ultrasound, and the quick thinking by the doctors saved her life. However she is sick. If the cancer goes straight to her heart, she could drop by tomorrow, but we aren't thinking that way.
She's going to be okay for a while. She'll be acting like "our dog" until the day she goes. I can't have another dog after her. It's not happening.

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Ok. I'm cried out.
I gave Chloe a good long brush (the day before she was supposed to get groomed she had her emergency). She looks much much better now. I pulled probably another medium sized dog of fur off of her. I trimmed up her pad fur too, I think it was causing her some trouble. I wanted to do this because it made her feel good. Plus I don't want my last images of my girl to be of her all messy looking. She looks beautiful <3

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
:sadhug2:

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Thanks everyone for all the support!

I'm ok, I'm cried out completely for tonight. So I'll update while I'm stable:

She is being spoiled rotten! Haha. My dad, who normally never lets the dog eat scraps out of our hands or off the table (they usually go in her bowl, so whenever she begs, she goes to her bowl) basically walked in the door with an open bag of plain chips, and chucked a couple small ones at her. The look on her face was priceless!! She was super hesitant, then was like O_O YESSSS and ate all the little chips!

From now on, she is going to get away with a lot more stuff! We won't feed her junk food until she is sick, but lets just say that she will definitely be getting a few more goodies than usual!
She's allowed up on the couches now, and snuggles with my parents in bed. It's the cutest thing ever!
My mom made up her mind to stay home more for our dog, to make sure that she's ok, that really put my mind at ease, because we were getting paranoid that we would come home and she would be... yeah.

Chloe is getting her staples out tomorrow, and hopefully will be completely fine. Then we can fix her horrible emergency-haircut! Haha.
I have pictures, but not tonight, its a bit raw still.

Thank you very much, your support is.. its amazing. Thank you!

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so sorry :sad1: I can't even imagine how hard this must be. I'm sending you so many good thoughts and virtual hugs right now. :sadhug:

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I wish I could quote you all, and tell you individually how much this means to me. I think I'd start crying again though. :')
Thanks so much. <3
Chloe has her staples out, and she is NOT happy, but she's all healed up, and on some pretty strong stuff. Haha, she deserves it.
She's on my lap licking peanut butter off my spoon <3

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Here's a suggestion....if you can, take lots of 'ordinary' pictures during this time. You know, the ones you'll say later, "remember when Chloe used to do this and that." Those will mean so much as you cherish your memories of her.
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
:hug8:

kimmie99

Real Name
Kim Gibson
:hug8: CANCER SUCKS! Whether it's in our animal or human family, it sucks!

Had to put a cat down back in 2007 because of it and it was the ABSOLUTE hardest thing to do! Had my FIL pass away 2 1/2 years ago (unexpected) because of it and my Brother passed away in 2006 because of it.

CANCER SUCKS!

:hug8:

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Here's a suggestion....if you can, take lots of 'ordinary' pictures during this time. You know, the ones you'll say later, "remember when Chloe used to do this and that." Those will mean so much as you cherish your memories of her.

Haha, I have a WHOOOOLE album of Chloe pictures, and I appreciate the thought. :) I actually think that there are more pictures of her than there are baby-pictures of me (I'm the second child anyways :rolleyes: ) but I think that the album needs some updates :p So thats a great idea.

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Oh hun so many of us have been in your shoes and we all know how rou feel and what your going through . We all deal with it in so many ways .

I my self had the opertunity to have my dog operated on , and on the morning it was to be done I said NO , I had him live another 6 months happy as can be be for he was put down , He didn't suffer any pain till his last day .
Do I regret it Yes some times & NO other times . if I had a chance to do it over would I do it as I did , truth is I don't know .

give your dog what your heart tells you let him know hes always been loved show him you understand him cry laugh what ever you feel like play do as you and him need .
If he passes on I sent a pic and A farewell note with it to GONE TO DOG STARS

If any time you would like to take a look PM me I will send it to you it sure has given me comfort and it might help you I visite when I want and costs nothing

big hugs hun I will pray for a better ending to this post as my heart feels your pain :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: