• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

(Sad Update) My dog got diagnosed with cancer :( I think I need some support.

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
My 11 year old golden retriever named Chloe gave us a bad scare when she collapsed and peed herself a week ago, she isn't incontinent and this was really unusual behavior for her. We thought it was a stroke, and I really really wish it had been.

A week prior to this, another large dog attacked my dog, and the owner had to kick her dog to get it to snap out of it. We think that it was possible that she missed once and kicked my girl, I don't blame her, we were all terrified of the worst (her dog is completely fine, just bruised). It was possible that when she accidentally kicked our dog, she caused some damage that didn't present itself until now.

So now we rushed her to emergency, and they did an ultrasound, and found internal bleeding, a ruptured spleen and some bad looking blotches on the images. They had to operate immediately. They transported her to the best ER vet we have around, and did a splenectomy, and found two tumors which were removed.

They biopsied the tumors, stapled up my dog and sent her home the next day. She has an enormous scar, far larger than her spaying scar. It's probably about 13-14 inches long.
She got through surgery with flying colours, and less than 4 days later is up and running around (though we stop her... no running for the next little bit!). Her staples come out tomorrow.

We just got the biopsy results back. It was 75% change of being malignant, only 25% chance of being benign. We aren't so lucky. It's malignant and now she only has 3-6 months to live.

I'm crying like a waterfall. My dog is going to die. I don't live at home with her so this is probably the last time I'm going to see my dog alive. I'm a mess.

Kaylea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kaylea
omg Im sooo sorry... hugssss you tight!! we will pray for your family n your baby!!

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I feel for you Girl. Cancer is such a horrible thing that we face with ourselves and our beloved pets. I lost my Sheltie last December to cancer, had the same organ affected with a mass his spleen. Surgery was not an option for us, it was an all of a sudden thing.

Keep hugging on your dog, and mourn while he is here. You will cry, you will be able to atleast bury your face in his fur and tell him how much you love him and say goodbye while he can wag his tail as you walk away. :hug8: :shy: :shy:

Cara

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
I'm so sorry, Emily. It's heartbreaking to lose a much-loved dog, no matter how it happens. She sounds like a sweetheart.

That dog fight may have given your family an opportunity to say goodbye to Chloe and spoil her rotten (even more than usual) for the time she has left. My Hamlet had the same kind of cancer. He went for a walk with me in the morning and was fine, the mass ruptured in the afternoon and he was gone. The only way we could have known about it was if we'd happened to have him x-rayed. It's been 4 years, and I still miss him. If it helps, I think Chloe will be pain-free and feel like herself for a while.

EmilyS

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
She will, she'll be her normal self until it happens. Then she'll either pass away immediately or we put her down humanely. I'm not happy about any of it.

Last edited:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a dog with lymphomma. Until the last few weeks of her life, she was happy and comfortable.
Best wishes to you! :hug8:

ilikebirds

Jogging around the block
i am so sorry :hug8:
just love and love her every single day
many many hugs for you :hug8:

lupe

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe

Oh sweetie....:hug8:love on her as much as possible..my prayers are with you both

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry, cherish every minute. Big hug.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
:hug8: I am so so sorry. My eyes fill with tears just reading your post. Lots of love, lots of hugs, lots of kisses, and play times and cuddle and just being thankful of the time she has with you guys until it is time for her to go to heaven.

Haimovfids

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I'm so sorry

Make it the best 3-6 months of your dogs life while you can

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so very sorry, Emily. :sadhug2: