• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

(Sad Update #98) White Capped Pionus with Rapidly Spreading Skin Infection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Checkin in.....My vets out of town, sorry. I hoped to hear from him. Prayers continue to come for your little one.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Coffee, I hope you received my email with vet info and that Megs is comfortable.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow, that is awful! Poor little bird! I hope you and your vet are able to figure this out and treat it quickly. Looks very uncomfortable. :sadhug2:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
HI, My vet has the pics, hope to hear from him soon. How is she doing?:hug8:

Coffee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristy Fowles
Sorry for the delay, but here is the news so far, on Friday morning Megs was not looking well at all, she was hanging her head right down to her feet, not wanting to pick it up and not even being able to duck under her perch as she normally does, to get into her cage. She was also no longer wanting to eat or drink anything. Her left nare seemed to been blocked and she was perhaps battling to breathe.

A friend who works with birds had recommended another vet that he uses, Village Vet (Kloof Village Veterinary Services | Welcome to the Village Vet!). This vet is a fair distance from where I live, but I knew that they were the best bet. It seemed that if I left Megs alone for the day while I went to work that she may not be around any more by the time I got home.

The avian vet there, Dr Werner Odendaal, was very competent and friendly and put me at ease that they were going to do everything that they could. He even told me that Mega has a heart murmur, unrelated, but something I had never found out before from visits with my previous vet.

It is believed that Megs may have suffered an insect bite, possibly even from a sac spider. He said her would give her a drip to get her fluids up, but was quite worried about her as her blood pressure was low.

The vet said that it seemed as if something had seemed out of a wound and was then continuing to scab over healthy skin. This then caused the healthy skin to get upset and all the present protein most likely invited a secondary bacteria to the party. I was also concerned about this as she had been rubbing her wing against her face and seemed to have spread whatever it is over to the top of her left wing where the skin was already exposed from her previously plucking.

I left Megs with them on Friday and asked him to do whatever he thought was best. He performed a procedure where he started to remove as much of the thickened skin as he was able. The vet offices contacted me on Friday about lunch time to say that the procedure went well and that Megs came out of the anaesthetic just fine, but they wanted to keep her in their care for Friday night.

The vet then phoned me this morning (Saturday) to say that she is doing well and ate quite readily the night before, he said he wasn't able to remove all of the thickened skin at this point, however, where the good skin has been exposed, he said it should now start to heal up. He said it does no seem to have spread any further and most likely what we were seeing was already affected skin just scabbing over. He wanted to see if he was able to get a bit more of the scabby skin off once things had settled a bit (At the moment I am not sure if this will happen now or be part of a future visit). In the mean time, the vet asked to keep her over the weekend for observation and I should be able to collect her on Monday. He did say that she was still hanging her head a bit, but hopefully, she will perk up when she comes home.

Presently I am just relieved that she is in good hands and in birdy ICU where I know she will get all the necessary care that she needs.

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OMG that is great news:) I am so relieved you found a wonderful vet that seems to know what this might be...sending tons of prayers and positive thoughts your way. You are such a great birdie parront!:hug8:

Coffee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristy Fowles
These are the most recent photos, taken on Friday (20 July 2012), while waiting for the vet to open.
She could not hold her own head up and is seen here resting on my husband's fingers, you can see her left nare is swollen inside. She was very weak, all she wanted was to be with us and to close her eyes and rest.

The reason the skin looks quite wet here is because we had just wiped on some Flamazine that morning which was when I realised we needed to get something done quick.

** Hoping for better and better 'after' photos.

IMG_1470.jpg IMG_1471.jpg

Last edited:

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
So glad that you found a vet! I hope the news continues to be good from here :)
:hug8:

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad that this vet is helping! I got your email. Prayers the little Megs continues to improve!! :hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Keeping fingers crossed for her!:hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Poor precious girl. I hope she continues to improve! :hug8:

birdlady

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
she is so precious...I really hope she improved quickly...she is a sweetheart

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Sierra_N_Fids

Sprinting down the street
I am so glad someone could help her. The eye ring on the left looks kind of yellow hopefully it will clear up too. Continued prayers for Megs:hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im glad shes in good hands, my vet Emailed me this. Without actually seeing her, this is his thought.

Well that's just an amazingly horrible skin infection! Hope they did a culture because they need to identify which bacteria are involved, and make certain the bird has a nice varied diet with some extra vitamins incl. vitamin A (but not TOO much). In the older days I have seen poxvirus infections that resembled this, in imported birds. Even a skin biopsy to submit to a pathologist would be helpful. Is it eating OK?

Rich

Dr. Richard S. Funk, MA, DVM
VCA Mesa Animal Hospital
858 N Country Club Dr.
Mesa, AZ 85201

Coffee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kristy Fowles
The vet SMSed me today saying "Megabyte is eating well and looking a bit happier" and that they would contact me in the morning. Megs was eating well all along though, except for Friday.

Robin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
Sending prayers for your little one :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.