• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sad situation with male Eclectus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
There is a situation that I may need help with: An aquantence of mine has a plucked male eclectus that has been abused (her husband is a LOSER). She is trying to find a home for it. He has been passed around previously and I'm not sure how old he is. I've never seen him so I'm not sure how bad he is. I do know she took him to the vet and they seem to think it is behavioral (and I'm thinking possibly the diet plays a role too). I don't know anyone who wants him and I am considering taking him in until I can find a forever home. However, I have NO experience with Eclectus or pluckers. I am nervous about it because I want to help him but don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I live in a small apt with two Caiques so space is also an issue. I'm going to see on Wednesday and was planning on talking to her about it. Any suggestions??

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
If the husband is an abuser please be very careful, the bird could be a very emotionally charged topic for them. I hope you are able to help.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say if you can, by all means take the bird in. Even if it's only a soft safe place for this bird to land. If the husband is an abuser, I can only imagine the type of life, this bird has had to have.Keep us updated on what happens.

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
If its temporary and you know you can find a home for him, yes, but be warned that they can be and ARE loud. I hope Ekkie owners step in..but I've seen them at rescues and although it does not bother me, unless your neighbors are very tolerant of loud noise...I'd be wary.

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
Is he in Minnesota? I'm 4 hours from the cities and would be willing to take a look at him if you get him. I do not.want him so don't misunderstand, but I'd be willing to help you help him.

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Is he in Minnesota? I'm 4 hours from the cities and would be willing to take a look at him if you get him. I do not.want him so don't misunderstand, but I'd be willing to help you help him.
Yes I am in Eagan, MN. :) Do you mean you would help me with what his needs might be?

The husband punched the bird when it got too loud (that was about a year ago that her son told me). I can only imagine what has happened since then. They also put him outside and leave him unattended for hours. He is not clipped but they insist he won't fly away. I don't know the state of his flight feathers but I have tried to give her good advice for quite some time now. At least it's too cold to go out now. It wasn't till recently that she asked me to find him a home. She was secretly hoping I would take him because she says she wants someone who "will love him".

I have heard them scream before, a long time ago, but I remember it was quite loud. My neighbors don't mind the Caiques...but I know ekkies have a louder volume. Are they prone to scream often or just sometimes?

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
I so wish I was closer, I would take him in a heartbeat... I can't imagine what that bird has had to go through. I couldn't even imagine punching a bird...

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
I so wish I was closer, I would take him in a heartbeat... I can't imagine what that bird has had to go through. I couldn't even imagine punching a bird...
Well there is a great staff at the Delta cargo facility in Minneapolis, so maybe you CAN take him!!

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy

Yes I am in Eagan, MN. :) Do you mean you would help me with what his needs might be?

The husband punched the bird when it got too loud (that was about a year ago that her son told me). I can only imagine what has happened since then. They also put him outside and leave him unattended for hours. He is not clipped but they insist he won't fly away. I don't know the state of his flight feathers but I have tried to give her good advice for quite some time now. At least it's too cold to go out now. It wasn't till recently that she asked me to find him a home. She was secretly hoping I would take him because she says she wants someone who "will love him".

I have heard them scream before, a long time ago, but I remember it was quite loud. My neighbors don't mind the Caiques...but I know ekkies have a louder volume. Are they prone to scream often or just sometimes?
Yes, if you need me to I would drive over there once you have him. Or I can talk to you on the phone if you just have questions. He may be loud or he may not. Who knows. I think you should assume he will be loud. As soon as you mentioned the creepy boyfriend I figured he got angry with the bird when it was loud. That is a common reason that male Eclectus get rehomed.

Oh, btw, I wouldn't worry about him being a plucker. That is for a future time and may take care of itself once he has a home where he fells safe and well fed.

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Yes, if you need me to I would drive over there once you have him. Or I can talk to you on the phone if you just have questions. He may be loud or he may not. Who knows. I think you should assume he will be loud. As soon as you mentioned the creepy boyfriend I figured he got angry with the bird when it was loud. That is a common reason that male Eclectus get rehomed.

Oh, btw, I wouldn't worry about him being a plucker. That is for a future time and may take care of itself once he has a home where he fells safe and well fed.
Well I am no stranger to "loud"...the Caiques get going several times throughout the day.

It wouldn't be a big deal if it were intermittent...but if he does nothing but scream constantly the neighbors would probably not be very happy. I don't think that's the case though because she said he doesn't do that.

Kathy I really appreciate the offered help and I will take you up on that. I wouldn't make you drive here unless it were really bad, but perhaps over the phone or through email. I still need to break this to my husband....:eek:

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
Speaking of food...I feed the eeks Zupreme (not colored) and a variety of veggies, fruits, and nuts. Is there anything I need to know about feeding the Eclectus? Is that same diet ok for him? I know it may be a challenge to switch him to pellets...I've had that battle before with past pets.

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
I just talked to my fiance and he said that if we can find a way to get him here, we'll happily take him in!!!!!!!!!! Can you give me a little more info about him?

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
I just talked to my fiance and he said that if we can find a way to get him here, we'll happily take him in!!!!!!!!!! Can you give me a little more info about him?
I don't have any more info about him at this time. I've never even seen him person so I'm not sure the extent of his problems. I don't know what size cage he lives in or how much time they spend with him. I know it's an all seed diet with random veggies. I won't know more until Wednesday. My only concern would be if you wanted him flown there...I don't know how he would handle that kind of stress. Let me "meet" him and see how he responds to me. I will keep in touch!!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
If you have a quiet house and no argueing going on a bird tends to settle down and so does the screaming. They do not yell/scream like a too does! Place him off to the side out of the mainstream of traffic and talk in a normal voice. Praise whenever you see him. He may understand the praise but the other thing praising does is change our mood and our tone of voice and birds are great at perceiving those changes. If you smile, one tends to be happier and it shows in the voice. Ekkies are very observant birds so will be watching you. Just be you, kind.

Diet...I will let our resident expert help there but their diet is very manageable but different. They do so much better with fresh foods and are one of the parrots that have a bit more fruit in their diet. Works here as my sugarglider also eats more fruit.

Pellets are not always the best. The problem is most pellets are fortified which might be too much for an ekkies system. If pellets are used they comprise just a small part of the diet. The internet has many sites that talk about ekkies diet. To wade through it all just get a piece of paper and write down the items most talked about. You now have the start of a grocery list. I just went to the farmers market and bought pie pumpkins, stawberries (they are so sweet and good), kale, radishes with greens, squash, grapes, apricot, papaya, brocollini. I also got some fresh pecans that are wonderful. Chop the food up but not too small as they do hang onto chunks. You can cut 3 or 4 days worth and place it in the frig. My girl ekkie loves it but so does the Vasa, tooz, quaker and Scarlet macaw. Macaw gets more nuts, Vasa gets some protein and the ekkie gets a bit more fruit but the grocery list is pretty much the same.

Thank you for considering taking this bird in. Male ekkies are wonderful birds and in this case you have a new home lined up already. I just helped with transport of a bird from texas to her new owner in Ohio. The life she has was so worth helping out with the move. Yes, a little extra time but so worth it. Read the story of Jewel, illiger macaw. Your ekkie is coming from a far from perfect environment. What he is like at his current home is not usually what they are like at their new home. He may feel safer and have less need to yell. That is my experience. Wish you the best.

It is far less stressful to fly a bird distance than to drive for long periods. I have had birds and a dog shipped to me and they did fine. Even the delicate looking aracari. Yes, one is nervous with flight but it can be done. Yes, mishaps happen but the record shows far less than many animals transported on ground. If you have a question on carrier, let me know. Jewel was shipped one week ago and it went smoothly even though she had a lay over. Mom (HOLIDAY) was nervous but could not be happier with her new girl.

Last edited:

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Thanks so much!! I agree about the shipping...I would have to find some way to arrange a convoy or something...

Here, he would be cage free following a quarantine period, and would have someone here almost 24/7 to spend time with him. My fiance is disabled and has a soft spot for Ekkies. When we got Dante, his diet was also mainly seeds (the cockatiel seed variety with the colored seeds that you can buy from walmart) and white bread with an occassional kiwi here and there. It didn't take long for Dante to transition, but I realize that every bird is different and that he would go at his own pace.

Again, thank you so much for posting about him!!! I absolutely cannot believe that someone would punch a bird...especially one as emotionally sensitive as Eclectus can be.

annie1

Walking the driveway
Real Name
manuela
oh please take him until u can find him a home or maybe a rescue place before he is dead ....

Doodle Bird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia
I've been reading about Ekkies and some of the info suggested giving Aloe Detox drink to pluckers. Perhaps that along with a better diet and environment will discourage him from plucking.

Do they have a preference for toys? Like shreddables, wood, acrylic, etc?

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Most of the Eclectus I know love anything shreddable. Dante's first toy that he really likes was a green colored vine ball from MSBS.
I've never used Aloe Detox myself, but I have read that it helps. I'm sure that and some showers would be great for his skin.

artgeek09

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
^_^ thank you. I would absolutely love to give him the life that I've given my fids. I'm sure he would flourish. I would understand if it didn't go through though. I know Patricia's acquaintance must be really struggling with the idea of giving up her faby, especially since I live so far away. We'll see how it goes

Status
Not open for further replies.