• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rosie cage size

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok, so Kishka is coming home on Saturday. I have an extra cage that I'm going to use but have decided that I would rather buy a new cage but I'm having an issue trying to decide on the size I'd like to purchase. So, I was hoping that all of you Rosie owners out there might be able to tell me how active your birds are in their cages.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Jen I missed it, your getting a Rosie?? Sweet!!
How old???

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Yep, I finally took the jump. He was hatched on 4-3-10. I'm still kind of reeling from the decision but can't wait to get him in my hot little hands! LOL!

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
my rose breasted has a 23x32x51 size and I believe should be the minimum sized cage for a rose breasted. I'm going to get a larger cage 24x36x48 for the rose breasted because they have such an unusually large wingspan for their size and they are very active in their cages they don't like to spend much time out of their cages at least mine doesn't yet.

Attachments

Blazeybird

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Houston
:shocked6: im SUPER GREEN with envy! My number one dream fid! Pictures are a MUST ;)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
my rose breasted has a 23x32x51 size and I believe should be the minimum sized cage for a rose breasted. I'm going to get a larger cage 24x36x48 for the rose breasted because they have such an unusually large wingspan for their size and they are very active in their cages they don't like to spend much time out of their cages at least mine doesn't yet.
Your Rosie is beautiful! What kind of cage is that that he's in right now? I'm looking at two HQ cages similar in size to what you mentioned. One is 23"x32"x41" which is the same basic size that I have both of my greys in. My CAG, who is my biggest bird at 540 grams is darn near perfect in this cage, although I wouldn't mind getting the next size up which is the cage I'm also considering at 28"x36"x49.5". I found an incredible deal on the smaller one through Love on the Wing but they don't carry the larger size...Maybe I'll just keep looking...

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
:shocked6: im SUPER GREEN with envy! My number one dream fid! Pictures are a MUST ;)
I promise, LOTS of PICTURES! I'm sure that's pretty much all I'll be doing! LOL!:laughing12:

shf

Avenue Veteran
that white cage is an hq cage that I bought from queen city pets its 23x32 xdont know how tall it is about 7 feet on the casters. I bought at queen city pets for around 270 somewhere around that price; it is very sturdy and will last a lifetime; but it was a couple of hours to assemble it came in a box and price included shipping it is very easy to clean; when I assembled it i did not use the grate that keeps the bird from walking on the bottom; that lets the food and droppings fall through; because just more bother to clean and gets really dirty; and rosies drop a lot of food and like to go to the bottom of the cage to get their dropped food; the tray slides out and its the perfect size for almost any bird maybe even a moluccan or greenwing macaw could fit but pretty tight for the largest parrots; I like this size best because you can move it around into bedrooms no problem just remove the seed catcher. the larger cages you can't move through bedroom doors and tight spaces. Only problem with this cage is it came with only one cheap perch and the wood was so soft that my my rosie tore it up in just a couple of days so I bought hardwood perches from petco another 30 or 40 dollars added to the expense.
I just bought this rosie about 2 months ago from a petshop in hollywood area the previous owners paid 3000 for this rose breasted.

Attachments

Last edited:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
If Love on the Wing doesnt have the size you want call and talk to Don the owner. They didnt have the one I wanted and I called and he ordered it for me cheaper than I could get it else where.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks Chris! I did email them today to ask if I could get the bigger cage. I also tried to call but got home a bit too late and they were closed.

shf

Avenue Veteran
my rose breasted cockatoo is the best talker in that he says phrases not just words that sound exactly human; macaws have that waak sound rose don't have that parrot sound it sounds exactly like a human voice; none of the parrot sounding voice; if you werent in the same room and heard him talking you would think it was a little child talking.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The bigger the better :):dance4: I would personally say 40Lx30W would be a minimum for any large parrots, and XL parrots (XL cockatoo and macaws) would be a 48x36. But I think with plenty of out of cage time, and play gyms, etc, a 36x28 would work good :) I would say Dome top would be best. My RLA was in a 36x28 play top and with all the toys and supplies, she really needed a 40x30 play top. But now she is cage free.

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Rosemary Low in her book "Cockatoos In Aviculture" says a minimum for a pet cockatoo should be, !m x !m x 1m. My corella's cage is 1m x 80cm x 1.25m. (the birds are very close in size). I agree with Merc the bigger the better.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've found over and over again that bigger isn't always better. My Timneh is terrified of being in a cage much bigger than what he has. I spent nearly $1000 to find out that little quirk about him. I have two Kings 406 cages that the Ekkies are in and they don't even use half of the room in it. I'd really like to downsize on both of those cages because I could use the room. They're the original European line though, so I'm definitely not going to get rid of them. Reggie D2 is in a 40"x32"x70" and, once again, he doesn't utilize even half the space. So, I'm considering going down in size for him too.

At this point, I'm just struggling on whether to get the 32"x23"x41" or the 36"x28"x49". I'm more interested in finding out how Rosies play in their cage I guess. Clancy CAG is very active in his and I was thinking of going up a size for him. Maybe my best bet is to just use my current cage and see how Kishka does in that one before I make up my mind.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you looked at the Avian Adventures Mediana cage? It's 34" wide by 24" deep, you can have either a playtop or dometop option. A friend of mine has a Rosie in a Mediana, and it seems plenty big enough.

Petco has them on sale right now for $380, free shipping, and I think there's an online coupon floating around somewhere for an additional 10% off.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I've found over and over again that bigger isn't always better. My Timneh is terrified of being in a cage much bigger than what he has. I spent nearly $1000 to find out that little quirk about him. I have two Kings 406 cages that the Ekkies are in and they don't even use half of the room in it. I'd really like to downsize on both of those cages because I could use the room. They're the original European line though, so I'm definitely not going to get rid of them. Reggie D2 is in a 40"x32"x70" and, once again, he doesn't utilize even half the space. So, I'm considering going down in size for him too.

At this point, I'm just struggling on whether to get the 32"x23"x41" or the 36"x28"x49". I'm more interested in finding out how Rosies play in their cage I guess. Clancy CAG is very active in his and I was thinking of going up a size for him. Maybe my best bet is to just use my current cage and see how Kishka does in that one before I make up my mind.
I do remember (please correct me if Im wrong:) that all your birds are rehomes. Most rescued or rehomed adopted birds just dont use most of their cage, or afraid of much of the cage space. But this is not so for most cockatoos, especially babies. They will use every inch possible, so bigger is really better when it comes to the majority of cockatoos, especially baby cockatoos.:D

A baby cockatoo who is provided a large cage and loads of toys wont be afraid of cage space or toys as an adult :)

If you cant get a 40x30, I would say the 36x28 would be the size to get. A 31x24 is much too small.

Galahs are active little things like goffins, and require a lot of space even though their size is small:D.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Nope, two I've had as babies and those are the ones who don't seem to be interested in moving around their cages much. Two others I got as adults. The only bird I have who really utilizes his cage in Clancy CAG who I did get as an adult. I'm just going to wait on buying the cage until I see how Kishka uses his space and make a decision from there.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Have you looked at the Avian Adventures Mediana cage? It's 34" wide by 24" deep, you can have either a playtop or dometop option. A friend of mine has a Rosie in a Mediana, and it seems plenty big enough.

Petco has them on sale right now for $380, free shipping, and I think there's an online coupon floating around somewhere for an additional 10% off.
Thanks Merlie,

I was considering an AA cage but there seem to have been some problems with them ever since they got bought out. Powder coating coming off, really bent out of shape in delivery and then the company not standing by their product, etc... I wish I had the money for a custom cage but I don't.

Lobby

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Mark Hogan
Strawberry's cage is too small, it was the largest cage the store had when we got her. It breaks my heart that I can't afford a new one for her right now. She uses all of it, she loves to crawl all over it .

I do not know if Strawberry would accept a new cage or not, she doesn't seem to like change. I once read that RB2's like cages that are wide over tall but I do not know if that is true or not. I could see it though.

I do believe in bigger is better but as with all generalisations there are exceptions. I do think that if you give your baby a large cage as it's first cage it will except and use all of it.

shf

Avenue Veteran
thanks for the comments about how beautiful my roseate cockatoo here are a few more pics the first time he's wanted to sit on my finger and play comfortably. I've only kept him for 3 months now and he is becoming more approachable.
he bows his head to invite a scratch.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.