• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rio's DNA test came back....

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Woohoo!!
I think they are, but Mia is the opposite, constant snuggles with maybe 15-30minutes of playing after an hour of snuggling or hanging off the front of my shirt while I do chores around the house.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Have you decided on another Caique
Yes.... there is a breeder in Central Florida.... he told me to get Rio DNA tested because it is really important to know.... because 2 male caiques will eventually kill each other! Then he said to decide whether I want a M/F pair or 2 females, well we want 2 females.:yes1: Not interested in breeding.

Now I call him and make a deposit and wait for hatch day. :storkg:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Yes.... there is a breeder in Central Florida.... he told me to get Rio DNA tested because it is really important to know.... because 2 male caiques will eventually kill each other! Then he said to decide whether I want a M/F pair or 2 females, well we want 2 females.:yes1: Not interested in breeding.

Now I call him and make a deposit and wait for hatch day. :storkg:

Wow ! good to know , I wonder if anyone else has heard of that, or if anyone owns two males and has had a problem with getting along.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow ! good to know , I wonder if anyone else has heard of that, or if anyone owns two males and has had a problem with getting along.
I'm not sure if that's true; I've never heard of it. I'm new to caiques...But Rio is so aggressive with the birds around her already, I can believe it!

Chantilly Lace

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
That is so funny, I thought my Pancha was a PanchO for a few years as well. I was shocked that he was a she! Pancha will not lie on her back at all, which is sad because I really love that, but she is very cuddly and will sit on me getting loved for hours and hours. She is not aggressive with other birds, but bring a chinchilla around her, and she will run over to attack them! I was so shocked my sweet little princess would do such a thing! Lol.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! I think that females are sweeter, but that doesn't mean that they are more cuddly.

But I think that a male and female pair will be a better choice as that is natural to them and will be easier to accept for them both.
But if you do plan to always have them separated of course you can have two females, but their will always be a bigger risk that they don't get along.

@Tim @saroj12 @Laurie @Irishj9

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did you see the posting i put in one of your threads about Phoenix Landing having one for adoption? It was a male too.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Congratulations! Chickie is definitely sweeter, kids can handle her. She’s only bitten me when I corner her to get in the vet carrier. Never bites if o take food away from her.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
a girl!! :ballerina: cute!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Did you see the posting i put in one of your threads about Phoenix Landing having one for adoption? It was a male too.
No!!! *runs to look*

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I tagged you correctly so I guess it did not go through. D.........

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Oh good because I just copied the write up but not video. I am not sure if they adopt to Florida though. Does not hurt to find out. Really cute bird.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
1. Only babies are cuddly. This is still essentially a wild animal not a puppy.
2. Female caiques are notably more affected by adult hormones. They do not tolerate fools and will stomp on weakness when hormonal.

Currently Cha Cha has become racist. She suddenly hates her black carer ( who loves her to bits) but will easily flirt with any white male stranger who visits.

Do not buy a caique on the basis of baby behaviour. It will change IMAG1331_1.jpg

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
She's not biting my hand in the above pic. I'm white so I'm safe. Lol

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
1. Only babies are cuddly. This is still essentially a wild animal not a puppy.
2. Female caiques are notably more affected by adult hormones. They do not tolerate fools and will stomp on weakness when hormonal.

Currently Cha Cha has become racist. She suddenly hates her black carer ( who loves her to bits) but will easily flirt with any white male stranger who visits.

Do not buy a caique on the basis of baby behaviour. It will change
Right, I actually was looking for a caique as a companion to my 8 month old one - which is why I had her DNA tested. Do you recommend a male or female? I am not interested in breeding.

She's not biting my hand in the above pic. I'm white so I'm safe. Lol
Cha Cha! Naughty girl.:naughty:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Male or femaless not as imprtant as compatibility

Current bird must pick his friend.

Nobody said it would be easy lol