• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rio's DNA test came back....

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Male or femaless not as imprtant as compatibility

Current bird must pick his friend.

Nobody said it would be easy lol
So. If a bird is at a rescue.... if I’m choosing to hand feed out a baby... how does she get to pick?

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
So. If a bird is at a rescue.... if I’m choosing to hand feed out a baby... how does she get to pick?
She dosent .you pick ,and keep your fingers crossed, think positive everything is gonna be all right. Not very pratical to let her pick. How would you manage that senario.No Caique expert here just a little common sense .You mention she is a little bossy, possibly choose your new one that has a mellow temperment.Even a mellowed out male may work better. Unless you provide a nest box and privacy, what are the chances of fertile eggs. Theres always the potential of egg laying with or without a male.

Last edited:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Rio is a girl! :pinksmile::swoon:

I wonder if the girls are more cuddly? @Fritzgerald16

he plays a lot but will also flip over for cuddles/ tummy rubs for 1/2 hour at a time. I mean she. This is going to take some getting used to!
Cool! I think tiel girls are definitely more cuddly!

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
My female is sweet but not cuddly. My male is cuddly but not Sweet! Petunia and Diego are caged separately, but get lots of playtime together. They have no nesting opportunities, and I’ll use dummy eggs if she ever lays.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My female is sweet but not cuddly. My male is cuddly but not Sweet! Petunia and Diego are caged separately, but get lots of playtime together. They have no nesting opportunities, and I’ll use dummy eggs if she ever lays.
Same here ,Isabelle is a hands on kinda bird sweet and interactive with her people.not so much cuddly.Bentley the cuddle bug, is stand offish and shy.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I guess I should say, I have few cuddly birds. I made the cuddle comment to @Fritzgerald16 because we'd been discussing her cuddly Mia. Rio is ADD, I'm pretty sure. :D

She cuddles for a few min but then she's ready to roll again.

She kept doing this wing thing (picture). I thought her wing itched. Finally, a pea fell out. :jawdrop1::rofl:

I assume they don't stick things in their wingies, it just rolled in there????

riowing.jpg

PARDON my dirty table. I had just cleaned it off, but the Princess was helping me feed the other birdies!

riorolls.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
You mention she is a little bossy, possibly choose your new one that has a mellow temperment.
And that is another reason that I would chose a male. I have two bossy girl that loves to fight. They will never be caged together.
Theres always the potential of egg laying with or without a male.
Exactly. :)
I was thinking about this too in a long time before I decided to get a female. I first thought that their would be less problem with two males because I didn't want to breed them.
But then I realize that my thoughts where selfish because the new bird should be for us both and not only for me.
And Eloy that was hormonal needed a girl and not a male to fight with.
The later problem with them mating and nesting I decided was a small price to pay.

She kept doing this wing thing (picture). I thought her wing itched. Finally, a pea fell out. :jawdrop1::rofl:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:
I assume they don't stick things in their wingies, it just rolled in there????
A peahamster? They are pretty rare you know.. :p
She cuddles for a few min but then she's ready to roll again.
She sounds like Eliy. The only thing that helps to slow her down is to tricktrain her. She is very food motivated. :D

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
1. Only babies are cuddly. This is still essentially a wild animal not a puppy.
2. Female caiques are notably more affected by adult hormones. They do not tolerate fools and will stomp on weakness when hormonal.

Currently Cha Cha has become racist. She suddenly hates her black carer ( who loves her to bits) but will easily flirt with any white male stranger who visits.

Do not buy a caique on the basis of baby behaviour. It will change View attachment 261773
My caiques are racist too! I just don't tell my friends what is wrong with them. I just say "they just don't know you yet" and leave it at that.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This whole thread has me laughing. Pea shooters....pea hamsters..... arranged marriages and belly kissing...

Racist fids...

Maybe I ate too much pumpkin pie.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Hehe! No pea shooting wings around here! :rofl:
Mia did get crinkle paper woven throughout her wing and tail feathers (she's an aggressive forager)... it kept her quite preoccupied getting them all out!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hehe! No pea shooting wings around here! :rofl:
Mia did get crinkle paper woven throughout her wing and tail feathers (she's an aggressive forager)... it kept her quite preoccupied getting them all out!
:rofl:

OK now I am giggling and the granite guys think I am nuts! Thank you Jenelle!!!

That sounds like a good job for a cake! Uh oh Rio is in here looking concerned. They're cutting inside the house. Gotta move my boy somewhere safe.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Speaking as a person with 13 caiques of two species;

Two male caiques with no other birdie females for company, are more likely to fall in love and engage in sexual activity ( YES!) fhan fight.

This caused confusion to caique breeders for years, wondering why, with all this sex, there were no eggs.

Last edited:

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have one male caique bully and he doesn't discriminate.

He is an equal opportunity terrorist.

You know who you are Boo Boo

CristineK

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristine
My little girl is super sweet but she is also young and she has been with us for less than a month, so that might change :) Congrats!!!!