• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Rico

Rafael

Moving in
Real Name
Rafael
my Quaker parrot rico is is 8 weeks old he is biting his feet lays flat on the bottom of the cage .since I got him I never seen him fly he flaps his wing streches one wing and leg at the same time . I only got rico for 5 day and I got him like that I think they sold me a sick bird . Rico is making a low popping sound is a a respiratory infection . He drinks his formula well eats his millet seed . So I am confused on what really is going on. I really need help I would like to see rico get well

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Hello Rafael,

When you got your bird, did you not take him straight to the vet? If you did, then they could have told you whether or not they sold you a sick bird. I would take him to a vet immediately, it could be something serious, but chances are, a vet can help. They will tell you what he has, and will give the right medicine. Good luck, please keep us updated.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Rafael, can you attach a video of Rico?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
also, can you give every detail of what you are feeding Rico. Is it baby formula for birds?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
What is the brand name of the formula and what temperature are you feeding it at? What are you using to give the formula? A spoon or a syringe. Can you give a video so we can see your bird?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
You could take a picture of the formula, if it is easier, and yes like @Mockinbirdiva said, please tell us your method of feeding the bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
@Rafael ,

You already created a thread this morning and @taxidermynerd @Sarahmoluccan @Mockinbirdiva and @CrazyBirdChick all told you the same thing, the chick needs a vet ASAP.

I do not understand why you created another thread afterwards, if you are hoping for a different response, I am afraid there isn´t one.

Urgent - What is wrong with rico | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Take the bird to a vet please. Do not play with his life, I plead you.
@Zara I saw the other thread as well. I think this person posted again because they weren't getting a quick response to the first thread or the information they were seeking. I hope they contacted one of the vets Sarah gave a link to. At least they are in the U.S. and have access to veterinary care.. we can only hope they did.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Zara I saw the other thread as well. I think this person posted again because they weren't getting a quick response to the first thread or the information they were seeking. I hope they contacted one of the vets Sarah gave a link to. At least they are in the U.S. and have access to veterinary care.. we can only hope they did.

No.
Timestamps say that this thread was created after Sarah, Diane and Bee all gave advice.
There was a bit of overlap - This thread was created before you responded to the previous thread.
But OP already had advice and info and then created this thread.

I checked the timestamps before commenting as I know sometimes people create two threads in different forums, especially for emergencies.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
No.
Timestamps say that this thread was created after Sarah, Diane and Bee all gave advice.
There was a bit of overlap - This thread was created before you responded to the previous thread.

I checked the timestamps before commenting as I know sometimes people create two threads in different forums, especially for emergencies.
Yep.. I didn't go back and look at the timestamps. Either way or either thread... I hope OP listened and has been to a vet today.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Yep.. I didn't go back and look at the timestamps. Either way or either thread... I hope OP listened and has been to a vet today.
I really hope so too. I hate these situations... not sure what I can do but hope for the best. I Really hope he is busy getting Rico to the vet and that's why he hasn't updated us...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I really hope so too. I hate these situations... not sure what I can do but hope for the best. I Really hope he is busy getting Rico to the vet and that's why he hasn't updated us...
Thank you for giving those links to the vets! It makes it easier for crisis situations when available vets are given. All we can do is offer support and the best advice possible but we aren't given enough information most of the time and have to ask a lot of questions to be able to give help. I mentioned in another thread..... it's baby season. We'll be seeing more of this type of thread ... unfortunately.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Thank you for giving those links to the vets! It makes it easier for crisis situations when available vets are given. All we can do is offer support and the best advice possible but we aren't given enough information most of the time and have to ask a lot of questions to be able to give help.
I was just so happy he was somewhere where avian vets are available. It so heartbreaking when people are in remote locations with little vet services but you know what the bird really needs is to be seen by a vet.

I mentioned in another thread..... it's baby season. We'll be seeing more of this type of thread ... unfortunately.
Yes I'm afraid you're right :(

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Oh please @Rafael tell us your bird is ok?

I Really hope he is busy getting Rico to the vet and that's why he hasn't updated us...
We all hope so, poor Rico, he really needs a vet.

I mentioned in another thread..... it's baby season. We'll be seeing more of this type of thread ... unfortunately.
Poor babies, people really shouldn't get baby birds, if they don't know how to properly care for them, i wish there was a way to enforce this, as some kind of law, like you need a certain license, it would really help.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
No.

One of them suggested moving this to the Emergency forum, as this was a big emergency. They told him to repost it.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
One of them suggested moving this to the Emergency forum, as this was a big emergency. They told him to repost it.
Yes, my fault for the OP reposting three times. He first posted in a very old thread. I told him it was old and to start a new thread in Healthy highway. Then I panicked because he was not getting responses quickly and I worried that his bird was in an emergency situation so I told him to post in the urgent section. Sadly, I'm guessing Rico probably didn't make it since he's not coming back :(

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sadly, I'm guessing Rico probably didn't make it since he's not coming back :(

I´m still holding out some hope, it has only been 24 hours since OP last response. Hoping for an update today. We will see...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes, my fault for the OP reposting three times. He first posted in a very old thread. I told him it was old and to start a new thread in Healthy highway. Then I panicked because he was not getting responses quickly and I worried that his bird was in an emergency situation so I told him to post in the urgent section. Sadly, I'm guessing Rico probably didn't make it since he's not coming back :(
He first posted in an old thread? With this bird or another one. We've had people come for help and then disappear... too much. I always assume a bird died when they don't come back.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I always assume a bird died when they don't come back.
Yes, as do I. I will wait a few days, maybe they got all caught up on stuff, but after that, I will have a moments thought for the chick, accept that it is a likely possibility and close the thread in my head. Very sad.