• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What is wrong with rico

Rafael

Moving in
Real Name
Rafael
Hi I have a 8 week baby Quaker parrot named rico I have noticed that rico has been making a strange like noise like a low pop . Now rico eat his formula well and eats his millet seed. Rico also stretches his wing and leg at the same time toward the back of his body I am a bit confused on why this is happening. It seem like he has a cough. But I am not sure. The noise coming from

mouth is like a all day thing every 5 to 10 min. Is it a respiratory infection. Rico is still not flying so I don’t see him any where els but in the bottom of his cage rico lays on the bottom of the cage and stretches his wings I. A weird way with his head on the bottom of the cage. He has been sneezing and some type of disharg.and a wet nose what is goi g on with my rico

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
He needs to see an avian vet ASAP. That sounds really serious. Birds hide their symptoms until they're really sick, if you don't get him the care he needs he could very well die.

The stretching sounds normal but the rest is not. The laying on the bottom of his cage could mean he's too weak to perch, and the head thing makes me think there could be something neurological going on.

Please get him to a vet. He's counting on you. Don't let him down.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Rereading your post, I have to agree that this sounds very critical. I really think Rico needs to go to the emergency vet .

This thread should probably actually go to the emergency section of the forums too because you need help quickly

Maybe a moderator can help. Let me see who is logged in.... there are staff here maybe they can move this?

@Peachfaced
@Sarahmoluccan

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Rico does sound critical to me too. Nasal discharge can be very serious and being at the bottom of the cage is really troubling. He needs to go to a vet as soon as possible. Until then keep him calm and warm.

I wish I could be of more help. Where are you from? Perhaps we could help you find an avian vet

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I agree with the others. Young birds can succumb to illness very quickly. The best advice is to have him seen as soon as possible by a vet.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Good luck at the vets office. Keep the baby warm and let us know how your vet visit went.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How’s the baby doing today?

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How's Rico doing? Were you able to get him to the vet?