• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued dying baby cockatiel

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so disgusted with the people who had TD's parents. They also had several different types of parrots. The condition I found TD in was deplorable. She pretty much died in my hand the morning after that picture (from a previous post) was taken. It's like it took everything she had to stand up on the edge of that bowl. The night before she couldn't sit up. She looked like she was so proud of herself. Shortly after I took the picture she went down hill quickly. Like a lightbulb going brighter right before they go out.

I just held TD against my chest and told her that if she had to go, it was okay, but that I really wished she'd stay. And what a pretty bird she was. About an hour later, she perked up and has been flying forward ever since!

I was going to call Animal Rescue and report the condition and location of the birds that morning, but found out that after we picked up TD (which was late in the evening) someone went on to the patio, where the birds were kept, and stole them all. Hate to think what they may be going through now. Glad I got TD out. Wish I could have gotten them all.

Alien J

P.S. I've been using newspaper with a layer of paper towels on top. I heard that the newspaper can dry out their feet. That was when I had Miyetti, the baby pigeon. They are almost always on the bottom of their cage.

Last edited:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Good morning, bird people! I was wondering if anyone could answer a question for me? I've heard so much about keeping little tiels warm, but, how hot can a little tiel handle?

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Update: TD has graduated from the syringe to a spoon! Down to two feedings a day. Flying like a champ! Still singing and dancing to 50s Rock and Roll! Rocking Robin and Jailhouse Rock are her favorites.

I've been reading about taming cockatiels. How are you supposed to just talk to your bird for days without putting your hands in the cage when you have to clean the cage daily?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's great that TD is doing so well. You may want to start posting in the cockatiel forum if you haven't already done that.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Janet, you are wonderful! I'll bet you will have TD for a companion for many, many years. He most likely realizes how you are caring for him, I hope the bond you two are making will prove to be real blessing to both of you! :)

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Welcome how the little guy or gal doing

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So glad you found him & saved his life. I hope the stolen birds found good homes. Guess it could not be much worse but rather not think about.

Vmax

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vanessa
WindyCityParrot.com has a reasonably priced gram scale. I play a game with Max and Gus to get them on the scale. Their response to anything new is a suspicious " Hey, that's not seed..", so it took some persistence on my part, but knowing their weight and whether it's stable or fluctuating gives me a datum about their health. Sick birds look like healthy birds until it's too late, from everything I've read.
Congratulations to you and TD. That little bird is beautiful!