• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rescued dying baby cockatiel

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
That is good to hear! Hope you will have fun with TD

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I forgot to mention that I am doing everything from a smart phone. I don't have a desktop on the RV. Will this hinder my activity in this forum?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! Thanks for helping this baby. Cockatiels are wonderful little birds. I don't have experience with baby tiels but you may find this link helpful: Hand-Feeding and Weaning - Just Cockatiels!

FYI, baby tiels don't typically wean before 8-10 weeks and can be longer.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome!!!

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:greet13:

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:thankyou:

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Welcome! Thank you for helping this baby - TD is adorable. Looking forward to hearing more about him.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thank you! You are all so very kind. I must say that since I set Miyetti (a Band Tailed Pigeon I saved as a fledgling from feral cats and raised last summer) free, I have not been the same. My fiancee says I'm a bird person (thought I was dog/horse myself). When I had Miyetti, he said the bird seemed to help keep me grounded. I've been crying every day since Miyetti left.

Of course, I'm not happy about what this little being went through in it's first few weeks of life, but I sure feel better having a bird back in my life!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you! You are all so very kind. I must say that since I set Miyetti (a Band Tailed Pigeon I saved as a fledgling from feral cats and raised last summer) free, I have not been the same. My fiancee says I'm a bird person (thought I was dog/horse myself). When I had Miyetti, he said the bird seemed to help keep me grounded. I've been crying every day since Miyetti left.

Of course, I'm not happy about what this little being went through in it's first few weeks of life, but I sure feel better having a bird back in my life!
It's always great when a rescued animal also heals something in yourself as well. :heart:

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Good morning, Bird People! I was wondering if I could get the low down on cage floors? I've done a lot of research, but haven't found much of an answer. I've seen both flat floors and barred floors. Right now TD is on a flat floor. TD doesn't walk well on the bars, but what about when TD gets older? What's the consensus?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would put the grate in when TD gets older. I just think it's more sanitary and easier to keep clean.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I agree! It would be so much easier! That's why I tried it for a moment already. I could tell immediately that TD wasn't ready. With Miyetti (the Band Tailed Pigeon) you couldn't have him/her on the grate because of their feet. Thanks for the input!

kiitick

Moving in
Real Name
Matt
Welcome! I just joined recently too. I had tiel's for years. I think it's great you took one in and rescued it! Birds sure to make the world a better place.
I always have a grated floor, that way it's much harder for them to walk in their own feces. I would also recommend a few chewing toys, to help keep TD entertained.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thank you! We have gotten TD a perch that is chewable, which she/he loves! I've also made some homemade toys for her/him. TD is very active (I know bcuz the feces is everywhere!) TD's quite the climber and is already flying! TD also responds to music very strongly. It's amazing to see the different reactions TD has to different types of music. Thanks for your input about the floor. I think I'll wait awhile to put the grate back in. It looks like it's so hard for TD to walk on it.

Welcome!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Please give the little guy warmth (little space heater or something to keep it warm in the room its in). Seed is a worse diet than pellets and ideally pellets are the best staple. They should be softened at this age. It sounds like you're on the right track. It's horrible what this little bird has been through and the ignorance of its birth humans is amazing. Once the little dude is strong enough and fully feathered please consider a vet visit to make sure there are no health issues. You should get a little scale to weigh your friend daily and keep track of the weight.

I wish you guys the best of luck! <3

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thank you so much for the good advice and wishes! We're struggling a bit being able to purchase everything TD needs at this moment. TD's arrival was quite unexpected and all the bird supplies I had for the Band Tailed Pigeon I raised last summer were put in storage when we became full-time RV'ers. Then, also unexpectedly, my fiancee had to have open heart surgery! When it rains, it pours, I guess.

TD is doing really unbelievably well. Almost all of his/her feathers are back. Just a little bit on his/her upper chest is bare, but I can see the little feathers poking through! TD is also really flying!

What's your opinion on the cage floor at this stage? Grate or flat?

Thanks again!

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I don't really have an opinion. Once a bird gets good at perching and is outside the baby phase they dont spend a whole lot of time on the cage floor. If your TD is the exception to that rule, then a grated floor is best so he does not step in droppings. Always keep the cage clean and clean up droppings daily. Most people put newspaper down and change it 1-2 times a day to make sure the bird is in a clean environment. :)

You're a good person for helping these birds. I admire that.