• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Rescue Chestnut Eared Aracari with gangrene

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana

Meeting neighbors
I brought home a retired breeder Chestnut Eared Aracari over the weekend. He has the most severe case of gout I've ever seen. The feet are swollen and the toes are nearly fused together at the base of the foot, not to mention that nearly half the toes have just rotted away at the tips, or have been torn to shreds from being kept in a metal grated cage. After getting this bird cleaned up (he was kept in a very "less than desireable" condition) I looked at the bottom of the feet. There is a an open black sore. I cleaned it the best I could, but I'm sure it's gangrenous.

I'm taking this bird, Stormy is his new name, to the vet this week. His feet are so bad that his quality of life probably won't be all that great. I've got him in a handicapped cage where the floor is soft plush blanketing and flat-ish logs that he can get up onto to clean his beak.

He is spunky as can be, although he can't move around really well, he is eating great, his eyes are bright and he "talks" to the other toucans in the room. He has a lot of life in him, but his feet may just be unrepairable. I have another retired breeder that came to me with the same condition, although not as bad as this one and he has really come full circle. The swelling from gout has been greatly reduced, he has grown back all of his missing feathers (just about 1/2 of his body) and he is even able to fly a little bit now. I don't know if the new bird will be all that lucky, but I need to try.

I can imagine that I will have a lot of tough choices to make concerning his healthcare, treatment, amputation or otherwise, paying for treatment and the overall quality of his life.

I'm looking for anyone who can share their experiences on the decisions they've made with a bird in a situation such as this, and the outcome of it all. Expecting the worst, but trying for the best, I'd like to be armed with the advice and opinions of others while I'm taking him to the vet!!!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Poor guy.:( Hope he's able to be fixed up.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
There is a member, I don't know if he made the trip over or not. He is well known for keeping ramphastids. I cannot remember his name, but Titanis might know. I want to say he has a website.{?} He had a bird in similar shape, and has brought it back to better health. I think something had happened to his tongue, it was gone. Why do people let animals get into that shape in the first place? That is horrendous.:mad: I so thank you for trying to help him, and hope he can recover and live some kind of comfortable life.:(

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Well all I can say is your an angel. Please keep up updated on what the vet says and what the treatments are.

Ginger

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Hang on. Those who will be able to help will be along shortly. Thank you for helping this poor little guy.

Dana

Meeting neighbors
Thank you.

Waterfaller...that "fellow" was me! :) I have the one with the missing tongue!

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Thank you for taking the bird in! Since you are not going to the vet right away I would like you to consider treating the bird with cayenne for the gangrene until you do see the vet. Cayenne is very safe and I feel it will help this one. If the bird has gout I would begin giving him cherry juice or cherries if you can find them.

Please keep us posted!

cayenne for gangrene

gary

Dana

Meeting neighbors
Gary, thank you so much for the article! I will do this tonight!

I fed the first bird with gout a 50% cherry diet that worked wonders. I've got this one on the same diet that I did with the first bird.

Kathy

Oh my! How heartbreaking. Poor darling, I hope they can fix him up, bless his little feet..

Dana

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all so much for the encouragement! I just finished reading up on cayenne and it's natural treatment with gangrene and I'm now very hopeful that his quality of life might actually be ok in time. Apparently, cayenne mixed with true vinegar and olive oil also may help with the pain associated with gout as well!

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dana you are an angel for taking him in and taking care of his needs. How awful to have ended up like that :(

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you.

Waterfaller...that "fellow" was me! :) I have the one with the missing tongue!
LOL..oops :o: :D
Well again I say..thank you for helping all of these wonderful birds that have been so mistreated! I will keep you both in my thoughts.:hug8:

Dana

Meeting neighbors
Thanks again so much everyone.

I'll take some pictures of him this evening so you can all see what he's going through.

Here's a photo (some have seen before) of the first one that came to me back in July. He had absolutely no feathers below the chest, no tongue, couldn't fly or perch. Today he's got all of his feathers back, his tail feathers are coming in beautifully, his tongue is regenerating, and he's able to fly short distances without trouble.

Attachments

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I hope this new guy makes just as spectacular a recovery. No matter what happens, at least he's being well cared for now. You're his saving angel.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you are an angel a true angel..bless your heart

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Kudos to you, I'm sure with your care he'll be a lot better in no time!

The other guy looks great by the way, lots of TLC can go a long way. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He's looking beautiful!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for helping this little guy, Im hoping his feeties get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.