• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Recommended Avian Vets Between Chicago and Detroit?

Hjarta5

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I am looking for a new vet for Wally and Luna. I had been going to a local vet that said it specialized in avian care, but I often am seen by vets and vet assts who dont seem to be able to really answer my questions in any meaningful way. In addition, maybe its not a big deal, but I really didnt like the fact that the tech just told me that "they usually don't" when I asked him if I could accompany Wally while she got her blood drawn last time we did a check-up.

I am located exactly halfway between Chicago and Detroit, with a 2 hour drive from my home to either city.

Any recommendations? And for other clients who travel a long distance to see an avian vet, or decided against the vet because of the long distance, I would appreciate your insights in this issue.

Thanks in advance!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Who do you see now?

I drive to Cascade Hospital for Animals in Grand Rapids to see Dr. Ritzman. Not sure how much of a drive that is for you; it's about 1.5 hours for me. She's expensive but board certified and always makes me feel confident she knows what she's talking about. I've never had a bad experience there.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Currently, I go to Milwood Animal Clinic where I usually see Dr Smitley.

GR is generally a 45 min drive from me.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
If you're really ok with the long drive I'd definitely recommend
Niles Animal Hospital & Bird Medical Center
I have definitely thought about it given all the good things I have heard! Its definitely under consideration, but Im hoping there are also good and comparable options closer to me. That drive stresses me out (but maybe it was because of all the road work they have been doing the past year or so...)

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Though I will say that as much as I like and trust Niles, when they do stuff like take blood or do fecals and stuff, they do take him away from me. I have only been in the room during exams while talking and doing a general look over.

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
Though I will say that as much as I like and trust Niles, when they do stuff like take blood or do fecals and stuff, they do take him away from me. I have only been in the room during exams while talking and doing a general look over.
Thats what I have experienced too and maybe Im overreacting, but I just felt like they didnt provide me a good reason when I asked to accompany Wally. After the tech told me "probably not," I followed up and asked him if he would check; his only response was that they just dont allow others in the back room and thats just the way it was. Maybe if he provided a reason other a shrug of the shoulders, I would have been satisfied but the non-response was disappointing. Then it made me wonder whether they were truly having a discussion with me when I had questions about care and tests, or if it was "thats how it is" sort of thing.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
When they did a blood draw for Ripley, Cascade did it right in the room with me. I would have been unimpressed with that answer as well.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Thats what I have experienced too and maybe Im overreacting, but I just felt like they didnt provide me a good reason when I asked to accompany Wally. After the tech told me "probably not," I followed up and asked him if he would check; his only response was that they just dont allow others in the back room and thats just the way it was. Maybe if he provided a reason other a shrug of the shoulders, I would have been satisfied but the non-response was disappointing. Then it made me wonder whether they were truly having a discussion with me when I had questions about care and tests, or if it was "thats how it is" sort of thing.
I can totally understand. I asked once if I could come with and I don't remember exactly what was said but something along the lines of we don't generally allow people back there too. So I didn't want to push it even though I would like to see everything that happens. My guess was they don't want you to see your bird in any discomfort and maybe for insurance reasons with other people's pets back there?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My vet in MN told me they took them back alone to be less stressful for the owner and bird, and that way she got to be the bad guy instead of me!

Might have been BS but at least it sounded like a thought out reason instead of just "that's not how we do it!"

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
I imagine there may be a number of reasons. After this last visit, I asked my cousin who is a vet and runs her own clinic in SoCal about her thoughts. Her practice is very open so that her clients can see everything she is doing, but she mentioned that vets may not allow it because of a myriad of reasons, including liability risk, annoying clients, or that the techs are just not handling the animals with the same care they would in your presence. Of course, just because thats her personality, she also said that if she told me more about the various reasons, it would just make me upset o_O and that her general recommendation was, "you either trust them, or you dont and leave."

So, I guess I am on taking the latter option. But its good to know that Niles doesnt do that either, but so many people do trust them.

TikkiTembo

Real Name
Chelsea
I use Cedar Creek in Williamston MI and have been happy with their service. Who do you use, @EkkieLu ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've heard good things about Cedar Creek!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I go to Glenwood Village Pet Hospital in Glenwood IL. It's like 10 minutes from my house. It isn't exclusively an avian vet, but 2 of the vets see exotics (the other is dogs and cats only). One is a board-certified avian vet, the other isn't certified I don't think but she did her residency at the Shedd, and I know they don't mess around. Dr Parr and Dr Hernandez are awesome.

Glenwood Village Pet Hospital - Glenwood, IL
Glenwood Village Pet Hospital - Home | Facebook

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Oh guys...

I'm the exact opposite at Niles, they are always trying to get me into the back and I always tell them I don't want/need to see!
Shoot, if I bring my intern with me they make her do the gram stains. ;)

Diane, instead of asking if you can go into the back ask them to do the procedures in the room if you don't want your sweetie to leave you. I would think it's a liability issue in the back. Lots of people, machines, computers, and techs moving around stressed animals. Unless you're doing xray's they can bring everything into the room and do it.

I also just learned I have "privileges" at our huge 24 hour ER clinic. My account must say "allow customer to handle bird for all procedures and transports". :rofl: Thank Korbel for being so difficult everywhere. :laugh:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Oh guys...

I'm the exact opposite at Niles, they are always trying to get me into the back and I always tell them I don't want/need to see!
Shoot, if I bring my intern with me they make her do the gram stains. ;)

Diane, instead of asking if you can go into the back ask them to do the procedures in the room if you don't want your sweetie to leave you. I would think it's a liability issue in the back. Lots of people, machines, computers, and techs moving around stressed animals. Unless you're doing xray's they can bring everything into the room and do it.

I also just learned I have "privileges" at our huge 24 hour ER clinic. My account must say "allow customer to handle bird for all procedures and transports". :rofl: Thank Korbel for being so difficult everywhere. :laugh:
Well that's good to know, thank you! I'm actually taking Blu this Saturday to see Dr Sakas for his annual. Now that I know I can see everything I don't even think I want to.

I trust them and he''s totally comfortable going there. They always tell me how good he is being handled. I don't want him to associate me with getting his nail clipped for blood. He's always in pain for a couple of days after that.:(

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Well that's good to know, thank you! I'm actually taking Blu this Saturday to see Dr Sakas for his annual. Now that I know I can see everything I don't even think I want to.

I trust them and he''s totally comfortable going there. They always tell me how good he is being handled. I don't want him to associate me with getting his nail clipped for blood. He's always in pain for a couple of days after that.:(

I'm funny at places I don't know but I trust Sakas. I don't want to watch anymore then I wanted to watch my son at the doctor. I could never be a vet/doctor... ugh. I cried to @Hankmacaw for 30 minutes of a drive home when I had to give Maui injections. :rofl: All I kept saying was "OMG they handed me 60 little needles", they want me to stab my bird!"

Depending on what room you get you can peek out the back door and watch. :laugh: They are never really out of sight in that little tiny building. Mine scream their guts out so I know they are only 20 feet away. :hilarious:

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I like Niles. Haven’t been there in a while, since I found someplace closer. I sorta liked that they take them in back for nails and bloodwork. Then I’m not the bad guy lol. As a vet tech it’s so much easier to do things without the owner up your butt :lol:

The animal behave differently without the owners too. I used to hate that one owner that insisted on being there for everything. We used to flip a coin on who had to deal with her and it was a pain to drag all the equipment in the room.