• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Prayers requested, worried here **Update #158**

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
And adding...

Crops have no feathers, just feathers covering them. ;)
I never knew they were bare. I thought MC pulled them all out.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I never knew they were bare. I thought MC pulled them all out.
Because you are a worrier. :D

Stay calm. :) Even if there is some sort of infection going on I would lean toward ML's thought of an infected feather. That's pretty common and easy to treat.

I freaked out years ago over a GIANT bruise Maui had in his armpit... Darn bird still has that tattoo. :rolleyes:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Macawnutz

@Hankmacaw

If he HAS ingested something, isn't there something we can feed a parrot that helps them pass the stuff naturally? For some reason, I'm thinking I once read about a sticky food..... was it sweet potato? Peanut butter?

Sorry. Back to cooking.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Its hard to tell from the picture if its just the crop with something in it, or if its a crop with a growth on top of it. I'd take his food dish away tonight at around 8pm and check him in the morning when he's had plenty of time to digest and empty his crop. If its flat, with no lumps, he's probably fine.
Also, the little spot with the arrow pointing in the one picture just looks like an empty follicle with some blood. He may be lightly plucking that area. Which may or may not have anything to do with an issue that may or may not exist. If he were mine, I'd towel him now and try to determine if its a growth on or beside his crop, or just a chunk of nut or something in there. Crops with chunks of nuts or carrots etc can be a little concerning at first. My macaw that eats mostly nuts has a drastically different feeling crop than my cockatoo that shaves everything into tiny slivers before swallowing them. I've rarely felt my amazon crops due to the fact that I like my fingers attached to my body and they rarely give me reason to towel them. However, when I do have to towel one, I feel them up all over to make sure they don't have any lumps and bumps hiding that might need a vet check. I think its a good general practice to do at least once a year for those of us that don't do annual vet checks.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Macawnutz

@Hankmacaw

If he HAS ingested something, isn't there something we can feed a parrot that helps them pass the stuff naturally? For some reason, I'm thinking I once read about a sticky food..... was it sweet potato? Peanut butter?

Sorry. Back to cooking.
Papaya is well known for helping to empty a slow crop in baby parrots. No harm in trying to feed him some I suppose. Its high in vitamin A. If its a chunk of indigestible material, it probably won't help. I would think most birds with some age on them would be less likely to try to eat something they can't digest. Exception being cockatoos(which are just weird sometimes). But amazons usually have a little more common sense than cockatoos.
Enjoy your holiday. I'm not convinced this is anything at all to worry about. And if it is, odds are low there is much you can do about it until the vet visit. If he's pooping normal volume and constancy, he probably doesn't have a blockage.

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Oh goodness, I hope it’s nothing serious.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hoping its nothing serious. Does look red above the crop area??? Red Feather???

Thought Penny had a prolapse last year with these long white thins hanging from her vent. Turned out it was dried urates. Not sure why but she tends to have them dry on the feathers around her vent...Vet had not idea.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Applesauce and papaya. Hmmm. Shopping after Christmas for organic things!

Their appointments are early Saturday so no food after midnight for my feathered buddies. I'll take the almond slivers with me.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
:hug8:
I hope it's nothing serious. Its good you have a vet appointment soon, but as long he doesn't seem to be in distress I agree with others this isn't an emergency.

I never knew that feathers could get infected. Is it only during the blood feather faze when this could happen? I have heard of ingrown feathers

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Buddy has been toweled since I took him to his 1st vet visit. It's now fun for him & he throws himself almost backwards after I get the towel on him. It's beause he gets eye drops which he absolutely hates. Towel a Zon everyday 2 times a day just for those, add in more for nail filing, practice & playing & as long as it's fun for them & they get motivation w/ praise or food @ the end, you'll have a happy fid. Honestly, I think it's more important than syringe training.

Lotsa healing thoughts headed your way. I hope MC is ok!