• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your DIY foraging ideas (pics)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Shawna you have some awesome ideas!!

Lovebirdlover

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kennedy
Wow these are all great!!

Bump,
anybody go any new ones?

Katster

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love this thread. I will need to post some pix and join the fun:dance4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, the more the merrier!!

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
so many great ideas!!! i cant wait to try some out! :dance5:

pool noodle forrager: take a bit of pool noodle, cut holes and squish almonds, dried fruit, popsicle sticks, whatever you can imagine. i also stuff the center hole so i put a bit of wood on top and bottom and string it all on a skewer or sisal rope

in use:

paper bathroom cups and paper plates: cut a small x hole stuff with paper shreds, treats, toys whatever, put a paper plate on top also with a x cut in it. stack 'em up and slide 'em on a skewer or rope or even a leather strap.

in use:

coconut forrager: cut a coconut in half, clean it out really well, drill hole in top and bottom and slide on a skewer or rope or leather strap. fill with paper shreds, nuts, treats, whatever.

militarybrat2012

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
so glad I found this forum! I have absolutely enjoyed watching and scrolling through everyones fids playing with their parronts homeade creations! I decided to put my big girl panties on today and attempt to make Harry some foraging toys myself! Harry is a 4yr old military, I dont even have him yet.. lol I will be picking him up sunday! But im so excited to add him to my family! I sure hope he enjoys what ive created for him..im sure he has never had anything like it before..lol.. I dont have pics yet but i will post some tomorrow. I also picked up several pounds of mixed nuts since they are seasonal and are readily available i plan to stock up on some of his favorites! keep posting your ideas! they are so fun to watch and try to re-create i do have 1 picture of my love though so thought id share with you all... 28747_4199799385655_1014589683_n.jpg

bratdoll

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kris
My Bubs cracked those little plastic mugs all up in a matter of minutes ....... and completely trashed a toy I spent an hour making! LOL:omg:

I have a kleenex box i plan to fill with shreddy paper and a few nuts, then hang from the side of his cage. He also enjoys ripping up cardboard I weaved in and out of his cage bars. My Quincy doesn't seem too interested in any of his toys.... moreso in just sitting in his happy hut! :confused:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In an attempt to distract Snuggles, our male tiel, from feather picking, our AV told us to use this very basic idea for forage-challenged birds: make tiny tiny balls of waded up paper and put them in the food bowl, slowing increasing the number of the little balls to whatever number you like, so that the birds have to work around them to get to the food.

The other day I found that the other tiel has chewed on the little balls enough to unravel them!

Thank you so much for the ideas, guys. I just had a quick idea that might work....take an egg carton and fasten to the bars so it is sitting up and put treats under waded balls of paper that you put in the cups. I guess that toy would be best placed near a perch. Birds can get the treat and also chew the carton apart.

Kris Porter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris Porter

This one is kind of hard to explain.. but, cut the newspaper into thick strips, put treats in the middle, and then twist the newspaper like this. It is a very, very simple one, and while doesn't look the most interesting, my birds have fun with it, especially the Cockatiels who are master shredders when it comes to newspaper.

Oh Renae - thank you for sharing this one. I have a gazillion of those mini plastic links, I made them into jangle foot toys, but this is a great way to use them. I have the mini bagels and some finger traps, I'm going to get to work. Great idea, thank you so much for sharing this one.

Kris Porter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris Porter
Renae inspired me to make a foraging toy using the mini shape links and bagels. I had lots of finger traps and paper shred and I got to work.

ElvisMiniLinkBagelToy Crop.jpg

It is an easy to put together toy, but I often have request from readers to show all the how to steps to make toys, so I made a blog post with links to how to video, DIY Toy Jam-Packed With Shredding Fun | Parrot Enrichment Blog.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Love it, Kris!

Myztik

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Nel
I don't have much to work with atm so just thought I'd try a basic bit of millet twisted in newspaper and so far the girls are loving it! I'll definitely have to get some more supplies to make better ones
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359365207.687317.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359365230.158567.jpg

I also string cupcake wrappers together and hide food between them.

Noob

Walking the driveway
Real Name
R.R.A.&C.L.A.
I will have to get pictures, but one of my easy favorites... Coin wrappers! You can get them at the dollar store. You can put anything in the middle, twist the ends, and voila! Instant foot toy forager!
I so almost bought those coin wrappers but didn't know if they were cool for them to chew on, as long as everyone thinks they are safe i will go back at get them, large bag for a dollar at the dollar tree :highfive:

Kris Porter

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kris Porter
These box toys are a favorite of my parrots. I buy the kraft boxes from Uline by the case. These are the 3 x 3 x 3 boxes on the toys in the photo 3 x 3 x 3" Kraft Gift Boxes S-10626 - Uline . I put a few cut outs in the sides before I assemble. Then put them together and fill with foot toys and paper shred.

I will usually string on an acrylic washer or plastic disk or piece of wood to start to support the bottom box and keep it on the string or rope. Used the medium hemp rope that I find at WalMart in the craft section by the beads. Added some plastic gears that I get from MakeYourOwnBirdToys.comGears. I like these gears because you can put almonds or pieces of walnut between the spokes. In the center toy you can see where we put a coffee sleeve over the gear to add a bit of challenge to the foraging experience.

The finger traps are added for shredding apeal and here is a good tip. You can easily put a few of these together ahead of time and hang them in a closet or on a clothes hanging rack. Then have some carrot or other vegetable sticks (celery, bell pepper strips, etc.) cut and in a baggie in the refrigerator. Right before you head out the door to go to work in the morning you can put the veggie strips or sticks in the finger traps and you've added fresh whole foods to your foraging toys. MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com also sells the finger traps or you can sometimes find good deals on them at Amazon.com or Dollar Stores.

MomsBoxToys.JPG

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, my birds always have a foraging opportunity available to them while in their cages :)

RDH1

Checking out the neighborhood
I would be very cautious using any paper that has colored ink in it.:rolleyes:

Buckbeak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Wow!! :eek: So many great ideas! I wish the dollar store would let my bird come in to check out all the supplies! :o:

I don't have a picture, but my birdy LOVES STRAWS. I get the plastic chain and weave the straws in and out of the links, then stick bits of food in the straw openings and hang it on his play gym! He doesn't always like to play with it because it gets in his way :rolleyes: but when he's into it, he is really into it!

colla-voce

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
I was gonna try weaving a couple of layers of thin fabric between cage bars, with crinkly paper and some treats tucked in and sticking out the sides.