• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Post your DIY foraging ideas (pics)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have been reorganizing my bird toys, parts, food, etc, so I keep finding more to take pics of :)

This one is comprised of a cup from the baby section of the dollar store (I TOLD you I went there a lot!!) and a skewer. Drill a hole through the lid and bottom of the cup. To start with you can leave the lid off, and as you increase difficulty can press it on partially, working on all the way on. This is easily filled with many sizes of treats, and you can do a lot of things with the skewer both above and below the cup :)

baby cup 2.jpg baby cup.jpg

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Love that one! I pretty much love anything on a SS skewer. :D

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
Great ideas! Thanks for sharing. I put pieces of paper over the regular food dish. That way they have to remove it to get to the food. Not much but helps get them in the mood for more foraging. I use the paper cups and wrap things in paper too

Butters Mom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Elise
Made simple version of this last night, just twisted up some dried fruit in plain-old brown packing paper. My Lori went nuts! She was literally cooing over the 'new' foot toys.............& when she found the treat! Wish I had a camera.
Made some more this morning & was rewarded with a "Thank you!" & some more cooing.
Great & cheap idea, thanks!!!!
PS- the parrotlet hasn't decided if the new things eat birds yet, but she's getting closer.....
:hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
tube forage.jpg

This could be done with a paper towel roll as well, but I just used a toilet paper one (NO GLUE).

Cut slits in the tube and then scrunch it together somewhat, making a crease at the halfway mark. Fill with shredded paper and treats. Thread on skewer; use the lid from an old tupperware container or the baby plastic cup from one of my earlier posts in this thread to keep it on the skewer :)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey, that looks familiar :p Great execution! I just need to remember to save a tube.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hey, that looks familiar :p Great execution! I just need to remember to save a tube.
Yes, I shamelessly stole that from your pinterest :D Though when I looked it looked like they detached the top and bottom portion from each other perhaps? this seemed easier :)

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award

Yes, I shamelessly stole that from your pinterest :D Though when I looked it looked like they detached the top and bottom portion from each other perhaps? this seemed easier :)
Yes it was I think. I was planning on doing it like you did, filling from the top before closing it up. I still need to buy some crinkle paper. :rolleyes: Did you use like a xacto knife to cut the slits?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes it was I think. I was planning on doing it like you did, filling from the top before closing it up. I still need to buy some crinkle paper. :rolleyes: Did you use like a xacto knife to cut the slits?
Yes, my utility knife is always nearby :D I got the crinkle paper from the dollar store ;)

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
I bought one of these for like $5 (for the smallest size, bigger ones were more if you have a bigger bird) and stuffed it with old easter paper grass, treats, etc. you could probaby even put safe smaller foot toys in it. I also bought foraging boxes that were filled but have been refilling them

I also stuff these cat toys

I got 2 of the bigger ones at dollar tree. That is what I have done so far and they love to pull out all of the paper and make a big mess!

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
The last picture didn't show up for me :confused:, so if it didn't for you, here is a similar one:

Peacelovepets

Jogging around the block
Thought I'd share a pic of one of my actual toys. This is the cat toy stuffed with paper, peices of avi-cake and cinnamon burst cherios.
Foraging ball.JPG

I also made some of the newspaper toys and they both were playing with them! I made one for one of the cages they go back and forth between and then a few foot ones and they both were shredding them with-in a few minutes :) Great idea!

Eilley 8.24.12.jpg Isaac 3.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I love seeing other people's ideas! I've seen those cat balls at the dollar store before and never thought to use them like that! I will have to pick some up!

Another one I just found:

cholla forage.jpg

This is another skewer friendly toy, consisting of a piece of cholla wood, crinkle paper, and a wood coin to keep it on. These holes are the perfect size for large pumpkin seeds, out-of-the-shell almonds, and more. Jingo loves this toy and it really encourages him to chew, too!

Tay05

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kaleigh
These are all great ideas but I think they'd last 0.2seconds with Emmy around! Maybe I can get the little birds to play with some of them!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If you have ground foraging type birds then this is a pretty good way to keep them off the floor while still allowing that ground foraging type behavior. You put some treats on the bottom and cover them up with bits if wood, toys, paper, Timothy hay, etc. They have to dig through the stuff to find the treats.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
If you have ground foraging type birds then this is a pretty good way to keep them off the floor while still allowing that ground foraging type behavior. You put some treats on the bottom and cover them up with bits if wood, toys, paper, Timothy hay, etc. They have to dig through the stuff to find the treats.

Thats an awesome idea! Looks like a giant chew toy too. :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Love it! Jingo would enjoy :) on my pvc playstand I use shallow sterilite totes for a similar purpose, but haven't really done much with them. Now I will have to with this inspiration!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bumping this up! :D

Pill box forager:
pillbox.jpg

Mug forager. I'm using plastic links on this toy to connect it to the central chain to make them easier to wash. I will be closing these up with pieces of straw to avoid 1) them dismantling my hard work :eek: and 2) to make sure beaks don't get stuck!
mugs.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo mastered the pill box forager in less than 8 hours :eek:

Here's another one for you today:

crinkle tube forage.jpg

This one is toilet paper roll tubes (I use Quilted Northern, which does not use glue to attach the paper) wrapped in colored copy paper. They are then stuffed with crinkle paper and treats, and finally strung onto a SS skewer with some wood blocks in between. :)

More people need to share, I'm running out of ideas and I need some inspiration :D