• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please share some of the ways you socialize your birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jally

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Peanut is a very well socialized baby. When I first got him, I took him every where that I could. He went to Walmart, camping, to our daughter's financial aid meeting, for walks around the housing development... He loves people and will make anyone his friend. Especially the nonbird people LOL That is sooo funny!!

Gibby went to work with my SIL when she had him. She worked for a vet and later told us that the vet was sure happy to see "that loud mouth" go. The Suns love to go bye byes and we recently started taking them camping and they loved it! We also take them for walks around the development. They love to see new scenery!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I have "birdie days".
People come over and we hang out and do bird things in the bird room :) Just had one last night where I had a couple of friends over and they helped me clip Archie and Ella's nails since they were getting pretty long, and then we made birdie bread. The birds (except for Ella, who is still insanely aggressive with any new person in the house) all got to hang out and were passed around from person to person. We also did birdie baths :)

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
I take care of my birds unless Im sick with the cleaning and such. But when my mom comes over she will give them treats and take them out and play with them. She also buys them toys. My mom will take Aly for walks around the house on her shoulder and we sit at the table with her. My dad is a bit scared of the birds but he will still hold Aly. Chiquita and Boomer will only go on me and nobody else. Oh well, not so true, Chiquita will go on my moms head. lol

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a teenage daughter, who has a lot of friends. They come over on a regular basis, and all want to meet the birds.

Corkey is my best socialized one because he likes going places. He's been to the dollar store, he's been to parties, he goes where ever I can take him.

I've also had birdie parties, and anyone that wants to handle the birds is more than welcome to.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
As you know I got Squeeky as a baby. I always had him around different people all of the time that would handle him and hang out with him and such and it just stuck. He has always loved people :)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
When the kids were little and they had friends over who wanted to interact with the birds, we'd all sit in a circle and play 'pass the birdie'. It was fun for everyone, helped the birds and the kids be comfortable and reenforced the 'step up' command. We only played this game with the birds the kids felt comfortable with.

Also, because of all the school trips, I'd get calls all the time from friends, and friends of friends who wanted me to bring the birds to their child's birthday parties, as a kind of show and tell with a bit of education thrown in. It was great fun for all and my fids loved all the extra attention and special treats, lol.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I work at a bird store so they all get a chance to come to our "baby area" a fenced off tree play place, all our store birds get their own tree. It's great to get them used to being in a strange place without having a cow.

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only time they are usually exposed to other people here is when I have house guests. They all respond in different ways. Elvis loves men and tries to charm male visitors--not so much with women, although she's getting gradually a little better with my mom. Zoe is the opposite--she's much more comfortable around women. Max likes to chat with visitors, but Sonny has a screaming fit when people approach him. Recently, I took Max and Sonny with me on an overnight excursion to my folks' house to try to improve Sonny's behavior. There was a little improvement, not a lot. I can't do that often, though. Patrick seems to take people as they come. He's shy but will interact if they seem friendly.

yvette

Real Name
Yvette
When anyone comes over.......I ask them to either hold one of my birds or give them a treat. It really works:)

sweetpeaches

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Susan
Ever since Bailey has been a baby I always have brought him out around visitors. He is almost 4 now and loves people.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I don't intentionally "socialize" my birds.:) I feel it puts them at risk if their was a burglar, etc. And I don't like people I don't know handling my birds. But with friends and family, yes. And I let them handle them if the birds want it. And let people give them approved treats and such. And I take them outside when the weather is nice.

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
Now that the girls are all in college, they don't go on many outings but they do enjoy it when people are over visiting.

:lol: Max did NOT like me visiting!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
We live in a condo and have people at our door all the time. The birds love it. They all try and come to the door to see who it is. Kiwi especially, she thinks everyone is there to look at her. The wings come right out, spread eagle. Its embarrassing!

Status
Not open for further replies.