• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please share some of the ways you socialize your birds

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
you first- :hehe: JK!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
The first few years I had the birds (in NY) they went visiting daily to my mother's apartment (garden apartment with a large court-so we would hang out on the stoop- lol sounds so NY- and everybody would come say hello to the birds (in carriers) then later upstairs loose.

I also actually went on vacation many times-forgot what that feels like :lol: and my mother, sister, or brother would birdsit.

Here in Florida they only get to see workers in the house hahaha, but they all still LOVE people so I guess the early socialization stuck with them :dance4:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know this is going to sound terrible, but I really don't.

I live alone .. so they don't get exposure to another person in the house.

Of course, I've had company over and such .. but most people only want to look at the birds from a distance.

My Cakes are the friendliest .. they'll go to anyone, esp. small kids, for some odd reason, they like kids.

Jazz will go to just about anyone as well.

Squirt goes to anyone, but to attack, he does not like strangers.

The rest pretty much shy away.

I never really had an opportunity to get them more socialized with people .. I truly feel strange saying "hey, want to come over and play with my birds so they get used to people?".

They're not like dogs, where you can bring them easily into a public place and let people pet and touch.

So .. I guess I don't really have anything to share .. I'm a bad, bad birdie socialization momma.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
To be honest, my birds despise my family members and I'm not quite sure why, so my family never goes in there unless I'm too sick to take care of them.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Tango came into our home at 5 months of age and we had 2 teenage sons and a college age son. Lots of other kids in and out of the house all the time. Tango was well socialized and loved everyone. At about 2 he decided that my husband was his chosen one. Ever since then he will not let anyone one other than my husband or myself touch him. He becomes Attack Birdy as soon as someone else walks in the door. Even my poor sons :( If someone comes over I usually have to put him back in his cage or watch very diligently so they dont get dive bombed and attacked.

Jasper is pretty shy with any one that comes over but once they have been there for awhile he will venture over and try to interact with them. Now that 2 of my sons have moved out it is much quieter around here so they dont get to see others as much as they used to.

impala400

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Yvonne
I'm the primary handler and caregiver for my birds so they're obviously the most used to me. My husband is not much of a bird person but I like to make him interact with the birds (giving them treats, making them perform tricks, holding them). I also like to have people who come over interact with the birds (not necessarily touch them if they're not comfortable) but talk to them and be near to them. I also like to have the birds do their tricks in front of company (touch, kiss, wave, recall). I also know which birds are trustworthy with new people and which ones aren't. For example, Clara can be a biter so I'm not going to trust her to be picked up by strangers.

I actually took Doisy to work with me once (teaching piano lessons to children). I made sure to have lots of treats so that the kids could feed him. The students had a blast making him touch and giving him treats.

My birds are cautious around new people but not afraid. In most cases, they just seem to be curious about the stranger.

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
when my son was here we had nurses who came in everyday for yrs(they all loved the birds)grandkids,i do alot of ED programs..librarys,schools,hospice,reading programs..i take different birds for rides with me,i will get lunch sit at park and share it with them,have birdy partys at TMS place:D i now have voulenteers who come also

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
oh how could i forget ..toy making partys for the rescue,everyone gets to pick birds to help them make toys

Robin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Robin
In the summer I will pack the birds up and take them with me to run errands, one at a time. I take them in the bank, veggie market, and relatives, or sometimes just for a ride in the truck. :)
It keeps them used to it and plus every time they go for a ride they don't think they are just going to the vet. :)

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
My birds were better socialized when my children were young; in elementary school and middle school. The teachers would ask me to bring my birds to their classes and to assemblies to help educate the kids about birds and how to take care of them. It was great fun and with 4 kids in 4 different classes and grades, we were always at the school. Then this teacher would tell that teacher or a teacher would see me in the hallway with the birds in their carriers and we'd have another class to go to.

I also worked in a 'mom and pop' type pet store and I was allowed to bring my birds to work with me. My guys would take turns on going to work with me and it was great fun having one of them on the playstand entertaining customers. I miss those days.

Now that the girls are all in college, they don't go on many outings but they do enjoy it when people are over visiting.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Whenever anyone wants to see my bird room, I give them treats to feed the birds so that the birds won't attack them. :lol:
Kei also enjoys outings in his pak o bird.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am in for the ride on this thread. I need to socialize Holly somehow. The other day Troy was talking to her, he moved in a bit too close and I remembered the thread about how to get your bird past a fearful object. You move in until you feel them get tense, or start to move back. So that is what I told Troy. Move in closer, ok..right there... when I felt her start to get uneasy, I said that is as close as you can get, for now. We will work on it getting closer. She sticks to me like glue.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
our birds are completely socialized....but they do not go outside..there is too much lyme disease in this area..will never take t hat chance...Dub is the primary care giver but the birds all l ove me as I am totally invovled w ith their care etc too...the budgies are fearless ..however Mitch is afraid of strangers..I believe t his is because she was abused...Sam is a fraidy tiel...she doesnt normally like strangers..she does go to some of our friends....

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Prudence is quite leary of strangers as we dont really have people over often, but Penny was super socialized when we got her thanks to her wonderful breeder.

But when we do have company for longer periods of time, I will try to have Pru interact with the group in some way or another, and she is getting better.

Harley's Mom

Ripping up the road
Avian Angel
Real Name
Kathy
Harley has been on several camping trips and weekend visits with out of town friends. He's pretty social as long as you don't try to step him up if he's on me. Amos is Mr. Social Zon, he'll go to anybody at any time. When we were driving home the day I adopted him, he went to all 6 people in the vehicle. Everyone who comes here has handled Amos. He's always such a good boy and loves to show off for people.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
My family has been a huge help in socializing Emmett. :) He's only asked for scratches from someone besides me once...but everyone can pick him up and hold him without a problem. Which to me is very important because I know when I'm gone if he wants to come out they can take him out to play. It's made going on short trips much easier for me knowing that hes comfortable with them. We also go on car rides so the car isn't a scarey place. :)

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
being alone is hard , the first summer i had Mango i had him out every day i could on busses even went to the exabition in the midway he was fine has no fears of a thing , but the last time i took him out i almost lost him
he had his harness on but i didnt have the leash around my wrist and
a man walking towards me pushing a baby carage had a dog well it barked and mango was gone boy can he fly acros the road up a trss
the man stayed with me tied his dog up a ways to a fence but Mango could still see him then he took off when help came to get him dowm i couldnt see himbut they were sure they saw him flyto a roof a flat one
it had a lader going to the top and a nabour s husband went up and found him brought him down
to this day Mango wont put harness on .
he loves people if hes out of cage will go to any one but chases me out of room, if he hears noise out in hall people talking he goes sits on back of my wheelchair squaking wanting then to come in he also knows when my phone rings 3 times its some one commong
yes he loves people but dosent want me in same room so this makes it hard
I also cant let him out of cage if hes in it if any one comes he will attack them , so thers two sides of Mango
he loves going in truck with mt son has his perch on front seat sitting looking and enjoying the ride
hopping to get him in harness this summer crossing my fingers

Onyxena

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Morgan
When I worked at the bird stores, I would often bring a bird in on my off days to visit for a coupe hours. Which doesn't mean I am handing them off to people! When I brought in a couple Bourkes, they went to everyone, but the macaws I really don't expect that. I just mostly wanted them to be comfortable near others, rather than being handled.

Max my 9 yo scarlet loves socializing though! He LOVES the attention and gladly poses for pics and talks! He really likes having an audience. He is quite friendly to women and will often ask to visit someone. If they are aware of the risks and comfortable I will let them hold him. So far no issues! But I am not forcing him to accept unwanted attention. MaiTai no way! But she likes going too, and will show off, just no touching!

Socializing mature macaws to accept handling from strangers is something i don't know how to do. I am not sure it is neccessary, and it seems to mostly go against their nature, but I am sure it can be done!

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I'm one of the guilty ones that doesn't do a lot of socializing with my birds. :shrug2:

Status
Not open for further replies.