• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please help

Sylvester

Hit the Road
The amount of acv may be bad advice. What is the volume of the formula you prepare? That much will burn their throats. I handfeed comfort food too but only have a tablespoon of Harrison’s ground up pellets and water in my serving dish

Checking the volumeof the formula you prepare may be bad advice.

The following quote came from an avian vet. Seems like you are wrong.

"'I've never heard of bubbles in poop being an issue. My GCC has never had any health problems, and she has the occasional bubbles in her poop. I assume it has to do with air getting in there while she's doing her thing. As long as the poop itself is normal, like you say it is, and she isn't acting strange, and the vet doesn't see anything wrong with her, then I woudln't worry. Birds can get gassy too, but have no way to expel it like we do, so it can show up as bubbles in their poop"

Last edited:

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Right about the amount of oils. I feed a pea size amount of coconut oil every other day by spoon. I add a pea size amount of sustainable organic red palm oil to mash every 3 days. When Doby was sick I mixed Harrisons mash with pureed papaya instead of water to the consistency of porridge or oatmeal. He would eat it himself in the same large pyrex dish as his fruit and veggies. Harrisons mash and the papaya is also a good way to get any medication in.
You mentioned the possibility of boarding him with your vet? Is that wise since you already don't have much faith in the healthcare he is getting from them?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I can't really give you any advice, except for this: I would pretty much listen to Kodigirl.

She takes excellent care of her Grey and conures, all three are healthy and happy birds.. She is the rare combination of a person who takes advice from reputable experts while also possessing the instincts of a natural bird whisper.
No. She has a couple birds so she has deemed herself an expert.

Telling someone to put undiluted ACV on pellets is dangerous.

Telling someone to rub oil on the bottom of a bird’s feet, sounds dangerous to me (couldn’t they fall? I would) but I don’t know.

Bubbles in poop might be nothing to worry about but could also be a sign of infection or disease; therefore it needs to be checked. Period, end of story. If the OP’s vet looked at this bird and ran tests and gave the all clear that’d be one thing. For a random stranger online to deem it “nothing to worry about” is ludicrous.

It is hard for someone who is new to the boards to know who to trust. Please don’t promote ignorance.

Basma Harara

Moving in
Real Name
Basma Harara
It was a fecal float ... you are right

I just checked again with the vet and as I said we don’t have an avian vet and no one really knows what to do with this bird.

Shall I give another course of antibiotics and antifungals blindly?

Crop burn? If it was the case... how can I get it treated?

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
No I didn’t deem myself an expert but I have people I trust to help me. Don’t like what I have to say then please by all means ignore me. It won’t hurt my feelings at all and it may help someone else. :heart::huh::highfive:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah

I just checked again with the vet and as I said we don’t have an avian vet and no one really knows what to do with this bird.

You don't have crop burn.

Just because he is not a avian vet does not mean he is of no help if he will run tests. Did you happen to ask if he could do a gram stain? Ask if he can do a gram stain/wet mount on a fecal. Ask if he could send out a blood sample running a CBC and Chem panel. He doesn't have to use a syringe to gather blood. If he doesn't know what he is doing he could clip and fingernail to get such.

How many days have you been giving the baytril? What antifungal do you have?

Being that your birds have direct contact with a cat and where it lays have you ruled out a possible pasteurella infection?
Enrofloxacin ( baytril ) is usually the standard treatment for pasteurella. Miss you Karen! :)

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Checking the volumeof the formula you prepare may be bad advice.

The following quote came from an avian vet. Seems like you are wrong.

"'I've never heard of bubbles in poop being an issue. My GCC has never had any health problems, and she has the occasional bubbles in her poop. I assume it has to do with air getting in there while she's doing her thing. As long as the poop itself is normal, like you say it is, and she isn't acting strange, and the vet doesn't see anything wrong with her, then I woudln't worry. Birds can get gassy too, but have no way to expel it like we do, so it can show up as bubbles in their poop"

Your quote was not from a Vet, but from a Reddit user
VETLOL.jpg

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
No I didn’t deem myself an expert but I have people I trust to help me. Don’t like what I have to say then please by all means ignore me. It won’t hurt my feelings at all and it may help someone else. :heart::huh::highfive:
You should stop giving out bs advice. The people you trust are ignorant. You can get attention in other ways. It’s very tiresome to keep chasing after you and warning people. Post cute pictures instead. Just stop with the garbage advice which is dangerous to inexperienced people.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Do NOT blindly give another course of antibiotics and antifungals. You need to recheck with the vet and consider getting a consult from an avian vet as was suggested. Asking again, did you use the link I posted to search for vets who are members of the Association of Avian Veterinarians? Not all of them are avian certified but most of them have a lot of experience treating a variety of birds. If you can find one then call and ask them how many birds they treat a day or a week, etc.
Association of Avian Veterinarians

Found this place: Avian and Exotic Pet Care in Doha | The Veterinary Surgery

Last edited:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I skipped most of the thread with what's going on it's distracting. To go back to the first post
Only one of the babies, started having chalky white urine.
Remove any cuttlefish bone or mineral blocks. If he/she is going crazy daft on it he/she will poop it out, where it'll mix with the urine making it white. Eating too much of it could easily cause blockages, and WILL cause discomfort and loss of appetite (with possible malnutrition)

Last edited:

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I skipped most of the thread with what's going on it's distracting. To go back to the first post

Remove any cuttlefish bone or mineral blocks. If he/she is going crazy daft on it he/she will poop it out, where it'll mix with the urine making it white. Eating too much of it could easily cause blockages, and WILL cause discomfort and loss of appetite (with possible malnutrition)

This is not what I am understanding, are cuttlebones and mineral blocks good for a bird or not? I have been told since the day I got a parakeet (age six), to always provide them with a cuttlebone to keep their beak trimmed, but now I am not so sure.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This is not what I am understanding, are cuttlebones and mineral blocks good for a bird or not? I have been told since the day I got a parakeet (age six), to always provide them with a cuttlebone to keep their beak trimmed, but now I am not so sure.
I wouldn't even use one myself if I ever saw one of my birds eating it. My birds keep their beaks in shape by chewing on their perches, toys, and occasionally me. If a bird doesn't go daft on a cuttlefish bone it's okay to leave it in there, but without weighing it and all the dust on the bottom of the cage there's no way to know how much they're eating. Until such time as the white poops or impacted crop. When I do give them one I place it so my birds can't get to the soft side.
There's a lot of contention regarding this. These are just MY observation and conclusion.
As a source of calcium? Already disproved by many people.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I understand, and thank you for replying back to me. I remember getting a parakeet that would not use his cuttlebone and the pet store told me that I would have to trim his beak myself because it would become overgrown. I was grateful that my mother took over that particular task.

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
I remember getting a parakeet that would not use his cuttlebone and the pet store told me that I would have to trim his beak myself because it would become overgrown.
Cuttlebones are pretty soft. If your mom needs to trim their beaks, I suggest maybe having a safe wood for them to chew on?

sherri

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Cuttlebones are pretty soft. If your mom needs to trim their beaks, I suggest maybe having a safe wood for them to chew on?

sherri

It happened when I was six, we didn't know beans about parakeets, so we trusted the pet store. He took it amazingly well, she would wrap him up like a baby and snip off the tip end of his beak. My older sister also had her own parakeet, but he used his cuttlebone.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Silly as it may seem to you - it’s not to most parrot owners. Birds HATE change. It’s not a dislike or even an irritation, it’s a very thorough hate. While some adapt like it’s not a big deal, others can spin off into a depression, become nervous or anxious or even hostile. It depends how badly the effect of the change is on their psyche. I would not be surprised at all if you changed the bird cage back to its original place that they would both be the little energetic, happy fids they were before or if Jewel is happy now, she might get depressed. It’s an odd balance. My hope is that with a lot more handfeeding in the mix that both of the CAGs will adapt to the bird room. Sometimes scent will help as well. If you have a throw blanket or a towel that smells like you and your bedroom, I would cover a section of their cage where Blu spends the most time. You also might try covering 3/4 of the cage. Basically the back and sides so it makes into a kind of den. This should also increase Blu’s feeling of security. CAGs don’t mature until 3+ years so you have a bit more time before you need to worry that den-like conditions increase the breeding drive.

Depending on who, weaning a CAG will consist of soaking pellets, then hand feeding bits of the soaked pellets. As they become more used to them, they are eventually left dry. Being in a very dry area, your CAGs might be more inclined to eat something with a little water mixed to soften them up.

@Lady Jane - Quite correct

I would also suggest a probiotic for both. We want to make sure they still have good flora going on.

HealthyGut Avian Probiotics | 120 Servings | Dairy Free Amazon.com : HealthyGut Avian Probiotics | 120 Servings | Dairy Free : Pet Supplies

@finchly - The OP stated they were not eating any pellets at all other than the little bit she fed them at night.

@Imogena - everything the OP shared didn’t sound off other than lack of pellet, maybe beta carotene and the humidity. The first poop pic didn’t look off either save for it was a bit watery. The second poop pic was more sloppy and bubbly suggesting there may be some issue involving the digestive area and that was the good thing as it provided evidence of something.

As far as sexing goes, you should be able to tell after their first molt. That will start around now with what I call floofies (down) and progress from there. The larger feathers should start molt between 10-12 months.

@NirAntae was helpful and posted this while is waiting for Sif to come home.

View attachment 304646

My breeder also stated that females tend to have lighter hued feathers. I don’t know if that’s true or not but it did seem to apply to his CaGs. Females also have a rounded head with the males being more blocky.

Weigh the babies every day at the same time. I usually do afternoon because CAGs tend to drop bombs in the morning and at night it will be artificially increased by hand feeding. They are well within their weight range for their age. If they start showing a huge decrease in weight either overnight or over time, you will need to have bloodwork and a gram stain done. My CaGs weight varies by about 35g during the day. Yours are much bigger so anything more than 35g more than 2 days in a row-you will have to find a vet. If they lose more than 60g in a few days - again, immediately go to a vet.

I hope this helps. Someone is always checking the boards so don’t hesitate to post if you had another immediate concern.

Hopefully things will go back to “normal” soon. Best wishes! :)
Kodi...kodi...kodi, I have to jump in here and disagree with you that birds hate change.:cool:
I have owned 13 parrots, over 45 years( my own)
And over the course of those years, 33 of those years i rescued and found suitable loving forever homes for unwanted and abused birds. (26 rescues of all different types)
Can you imagine the change they went through?
I did follow ups as condition of adoption... Most turned out quiet well. Of those that didn't I took back and worked with. ( And that's like one or two out of 26)
Birds do adapt, and they do so very well if you let them. Sorry, gal, this time have to disagree.;)

Last edited: