• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please help

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
Now I don't know much, but I personally would never add 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon of ACV to any of my parrots pellets. That would be like adding, what a cup, of ACV to my own cereal in the morning? I have heard some people do add a teaspoon per quart of water for their drinking water.

When I was worried about one of my macaws not drinking enough while she was setting on her sterile eggs, I found she loved juice and would I give some separately to her each day and that seemed to stimulate her appetite and she would eat and drink. But I think your moderators and administrators on here probably have the best sound advice. And many people do not have access to a avian vet and do use a regular vet to help them. So we take what help we can get.

By the way, your birds are gorgeous! I am a little jealous! But since we have 2 macaws and a cockatoo, no more birds for us!

sherri

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When it comes to ACV I would add 16 drops to a liter of water and then use that water for the birds. Put 4 ounces or whatever into the water bowls. The remaining water should be refrigerated and shaken well each time it is used before pouring it into the bowls. This was what the birds' vet advised.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
When it comes to ACV I would add 16 drops to a liter of water and then use that water for the birds. Put 4 ounces or whatever into the water bowls. The remaining water should be refrigerated and shaken well each time it is used before pouring it into the bowls. This was what the birds' vet advised.
Yep my AV said 15 ml to a liter and in my research i found that was a conservative amount. But thats what I've always done.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ooopppsss... that should be 16 ml and NOT 16 drops. LOL...16 drops is nothing, @ .8ml

My vet's and your vet's recommendations are very similar. Sometimes if you put too much in they won't drink the water.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I just don't want anyone to leave this thread with the inaccurate belief that "bubbles in the poop are nothing to be concerned about" - bubbly poop can be the result of a Clostridium infection (very bad) and several other infections.

*** See your avian veterinarian if - the feces contain partially digested food, or are smelly, slimy, or foamy. Partially digested food can be due to viral disease. Slimy droppings can be caused by an overgrowth of yeast. Foamy or bubbly droppings can be caused by bacterial infection such Clostridium, a type of nasty bacteria.
http://www.mickaboo.org/sites/default/files/files/4q2010_newsletter_Poopology.pdf

@Basma Harara @Kodigirl210 @Sylvester

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I just don't want anyone to leave this thread with the inaccurate belief that "bubbles in the poop are nothing to be concerned about" - bubbly poop can be the result of a Clostridium infection (very bad) and several other infections.

*** See your avian veterinarian if - the feces contain partially digested food, or are smelly, slimy, or foamy. Partially digested food can be due to viral disease. Slimy droppings can be caused by an overgrowth of yeast. Foamy or bubbly droppings can be caused by bacterial infection such Clostridium, a type of nasty bacteria.
http://www.mickaboo.org/sites/default/files/files/4q2010_newsletter_Poopology.pdf

@Basma Harara @Kodigirl210 @Sylvester

I have to agree with Mary on this. Bubbles in poop are a cause for concern. Might I add that many people might say, birds get gas from food and veggies and is of no concern, if bird is acting normal. That my friends is only a small partly true statement. You have to remember, birds are masters of disguise when it comes down to hiding medical conditions. Usually by the time the bird shows symptoms, the condition has been going on for some time....Bubbles in poop can point to a variety of conditions, and warrants a check up.
So it never hurts at all to have it checked, you may be saving your birds life. Then it may be nothing, but isn't that what we hope for with a check up? Better safe than sorry.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Correcting dangerous advice is not bullying. The problem that's been growing on this site lately is people getting defensive about their inaccurate advice when they are called out on it. Anyone who has the birds' best interest in mind should be happy to be corrected on advice that might hurt said birds, and happy to learn new things. Think about the logic there.

I'll reiterate Mary Lynn's point, because I am also worried about inexperienced members getting dangerous info: Yes, bubbles are a concern. They should always be investigated. Also, supplements (yes, including ACV) really shouldn't be used without at least consulting with a vet. They can have interactions with other medications even if they are not prescription medications.

Other forums I've belonged to limit medical advice to specific members whose experience has been verified by the moderators. Lately I find myself wondering more and more whether a system like that might be needed here to prevent dangerous things from happening/threads from repeatedly going off the rails.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Correcting dangerous advice is not bullying. The problem that's been growing on this site lately is people getting defensive about their inaccurate advice when they are called out on it. Anyone who has the birds' best interest in mind should be happy to be corrected on advice that might hurt said birds, and happy to learn new things. Think about the logic there.

I'll reiterate Mary Lynn's point, because I am also worried about inexperienced members getting dangerous info: Yes, bubbles are a concern. They should always be investigated. Also, supplements (yes, including ACV) really shouldn't be used without at least consulting with a vet. They can have interactions with other medications even if they are not prescription medications.

Other forums I've belonged to limit medical advice to specific members whose experience has been verified by the moderators. Lately I find myself wondering more and more whether a system like that might be needed here to prevent dangerous things from happening/threads from repeatedly going off the rails.
Great idea! @Danita @Macawnutz

I have a very short list of allowed medical advice givers

@enigma731 @Hankmacaw @Macawnutz
These are the only three I trust

Last edited: