• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please help with Juni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for Juni's update, let us know what the vet says after his visit. Extra skirtches for you sweet guy!

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Glad Juni is feeling a little better. I will wait for the vet visit.

topazldy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Linda
If you have good credit, you can apply for Care Credit. IT's a credit card for animals and yourself. Check with your vet to see if he accepts it. I use it for all my animals, and in emergencies, it has been a life saver!! I don't have to worry about paying up front for any treatment.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I took Juni to the vet today! Well, it turns out that it had nothing to do with physical health. He said that everything I described was hormonal behavior. The panting, and the gurgling noise (it was regurgitation), plus a lot of other behavior that I never gave much thought to...like being over protective of me and snuggling on my shoulder. So, in Juni's eyes, I am his mate and he is trying to get me to breed with him. :eek: :o: So, the vet recommended starting a foraging program to distract him. He also said to stop spending so much time with Juni and stop giving him snuggles and scritches as much. :sad11: That will be very hard for me.

I also got some scary news. Juni's leg band was WAY too tight and was starting to cut into his skin and cut off his blood circulation. I've never given that band a second glance and would have never noticed. But the vet said if I hadn't of brought him in today and got it taken off, we could have lost Juni's leg. :eek: When he took it off, there were clumps of skin in it that had built up. I'm SOOOOOO glad I took him in when I did!!!

This is Juni's leg after the leg band was removed.
juni's cool 049.jpg juni's cool 043.jpg
Here's the leg band. The vet said it was not a normal parrot leg band. He said it looks like something that you would find on a songbird. :confused: I don't know why the breeders put it on Juni.
juni's cool 050.jpg juni's cool 051.jpg
On the way home, I stopped at a frozen yogurt place and I got Juni a strawberry. He enjoyed it a lot. :) You can tell by his beak.
juni's cool 052.jpg
:DAnyways, I'm really glad that Juni's okay and that we got the leg band thing taken care of before it got too serious.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor guy,so glad he was ok and that the leg band was taken off before the leg was damaged.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
How lucky was that! So glad you found out in time. By the way, Juni probably thinks you took him out to dinner & a show. ;)

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
:omg: So glad the leg band issue was caught in time!

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Wow that is scary! Glad the vet saw that!

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
:eek:Poor baby! The only bird I've owned that had a band was a cockatiel and the avian vet removed it because they can be dangerous...In Juni's case that was certainly correct! I can't believe that a breeder would put that small of a band on him...wow.. Glad he's okay - what a gorgeous guy:heart:

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Oh my goodness. Do you know the breeder? I hope it isn't like that for all of their babies. I'm so glad you got the band off. That is just scary...:hug8:

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Glad he's okay and the vet got his leg band off!

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Glad vet visit outcome was positive for little Juni.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Wow..just seeing this. That is terrible that they would put such a tiny band on him.I am so glad Juni is fine and you got him in to the vet. Maybe you might consider starting a fund of money put aside, in case emergency care is ever needed again.:hug8::hug8:

Vegemite

Real Name
Lynne
This thread had me gasp. Juni was acting sick enough for you to be worried and take him to the vet. What I find amazing is that he wasnt sick but the leg band issue was picked up. As you said you have never noticed the band. I find it awesome that one 'nothing' turned into a 'something' that saved Juni's leg. It sort of reminded me of my dad (who hardly ever went to docs) but this particular time, he was feeling icky for a couple of days and my mom convinced he was a grump and needed to see the doc. He went and was checked out, turned out he had early bowel cancer. That was over 5yrs ago and he is now doing well, even tho he struggles with the loss of mom. The messages the universe sends us amazes me sometimes (hope this makes sense. I am not well but cant miss my AA fix)
So glad this

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Oh my goodness. Do you know the breeder? I hope it isn't like that for all of their babies. I'm so glad you got the band off. That is just scary...:hug8:
I don't know the breeder. When I first got Juni from the pet store, I asked them and they said they weren't allowed to give out any information. I hope they don't do this to all their birds too. :(

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Wow..just seeing this. That is terrible that they would put such a tiny band on him.I am so glad Juni is fine and you got him in to the vet. Maybe you might consider starting a fund of money put aside, in case emergency care is ever needed again.:hug8::hug8:
I'm planning on it. I'm starting to bring more money in so I'll definitely be saving some.

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
This thread had me gasp. Juni was acting sick enough for you to be worried and take him to the vet. What I find amazing is that he wasnt sick but the leg band issue was picked up. As you said you have never noticed the band. I find it awesome that one 'nothing' turned into a 'something' that saved Juni's leg. It sort of reminded me of my dad (who hardly ever went to docs) but this particular time, he was feeling icky for a couple of days and my mom convinced he was a grump and needed to see the doc. He went and was checked out, turned out he had early bowel cancer. That was over 5yrs ago and he is now doing well, even tho he struggles with the loss of mom. The messages the universe sends us amazes me sometimes (hope this makes sense. I am not well but cant miss my AA fix)
So glad this
Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. It is a huge blessing that Juni got me to bring him in. :)

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
Oh, this thread makes me shivver! I am so glad that your bird is going to be alright. :heart:I have seen those little colored plastic coiled leg bands before sold in bags at a large bird supply store. They are usually used on song birds, canaries and such. I never used them. Always used the metal ones which you had to carefully pull the foot through. I don't like leg bands anymore though. Have seen too many problems but I know it is a good way of identifying your bird should it escape and you don't have them micro chipped.

Last edited:

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Oh, this thread makes me shivver! I am so glad that your bird is going to be alright. :heart:I have seen those little colored plastic coiled leg bands before sold in bags at a large bird supply store. They are usually used on song birds, canaries and such. I never used them. Always used the metal ones which you had to carefully pull the foot through. I don't like leg bands anymore though. Have seen too many problems but I know it is a good way of identifying your bird should it escape and you don't have them micro chipped.
Ya, I'm not sure why someone put one on Juni. :confused: It seemed about canary sized too so it obviously shouldn't have been used for a parrot. I hope the breeders don't do this to all their birdies. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.