• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Please help with Juni

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Ya, I'm not sure why someone put one on Juni. :confused: It seemed about canary sized too so it obviously shouldn't have been used for a parrot. I hope the breeders don't do this to all their birdies. :(
That band was awful. It is one of those adjustable bands and looks like it was put on and tightened as a baby. Poor little Juni!

Jocund^eternal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That leg band looks awful! :eek: I shiver at the thought of it. I'm glad you were able to take it off.:)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So glad to hear Juni is fine! (sorry this is a bit late)

Speaking of the leg band, how much does Juni weigh now?

redlored

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kim
YAY! So glad Juni is okay. I was reading this thread very intently and nervously. I'm glad he got that leg band off and his leg is now saved! :hug8::hug8:

Cinnyluver

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
Ya, it was pretty awful. Right when I got home, I ran around the bird room, checking all my other birds for bad leg bands. :p

Monica, Juni weighs 201 grams (7.09 oz). It's right in between the average weight range for a mitred (217) and a cherry head (162). So he's a healthy weight for a hybrid.:)

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
so glad Juni was okay and you got that band off in time before it did major damage

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
I have NEVER heard of not divulging the breeder's name by a pet store, unless of course they are stolen. When I bought my sun conure Nicky, I received a certificate from the breeder (in FL) giving their name, his hatchday, & what vaccinations Nick had received. Perhaps the sales person didn't know, so made up an excuse so as not to loose the sale.
I think it's just me, but I couldn't/wouldn't leave this alone. Was there anything on the band? Letters/numbers? If not, then why put on a band at all, unless to encourage the belief the bird is captive raised. Professional breeders DON'T breed hybrids, except for macaws, where their's lots of $$$ at stake!
If you're curious about this & decide to pursue it, I'd love to know the outcome! There have been thefts of these birds from San Francisco (Parrots of Telegraph Hill)
:chin:

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I have NEVER heard of not divulging the breeder's name by a pet store, unless of course they are stolen. When I bought my sun conure Nicky, I received a certificate from the breeder (in FL) giving their name, his hatchday, & what vaccinations Nick had received. Perhaps the sales person didn't know, so made up an excuse so as not to loose the sale.
I think it's just me, but I couldn't/wouldn't leave this alone. Was there anything on the band? Letters/numbers? If not, then why put on a band at all, unless to encourage the belief the bird is captive raised. Professional breeders DON'T breed hybrids, except for macaws, where their's lots of $$$ at stake!
If you're curious about this & decide to pursue it, I'd love to know the outcome! There have been thefts of these birds from San Francisco (Parrots of Telegraph Hill)
:chin:

They said that they weren't allowed to release the breeders name, but they said it was someone local. I'd be surprised if Juni was a stolen bird. I got a certificate, but it was from the pet store...no breeder information at all. Hybrid mitred/cherry heads are common because the two get mixed up so much.
He had "4040" on his band. That's it. Ya, I have no idea why they would even put it on him. :confused:
I might ask about it next time I visit them. I really love and trust this pet store so I certainly hope they are not doing anything bad. :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wasn't sure if we had decided that Juni was a hybrid or not, I think we were still waiting for him to color up... but I wonder if his breeders thought he was a cherry head, and thus put the wrong leg band on him?

I've heard of some cherry heads as big as 200 grams, and I've definitely seen a few that were larger than 160 grams! Mitred conures can apparently range from 180-300+ grams (pudgy! Ever seen Pudgy Wudgy?)

He definitely seems to have the "red throat" of a mitred, but appears to be coloring up more like a cherry head, and with the size of a mitred. Between my two, Noel (RIP) was a lighter green and red than Charlie is. Noel's red was all one color, but Charlie has a darker patch of red right above his nostrils. Would be great if you could find out more about Juni!

Also hoping his leg heals up well, to the point that you don't notice he ever had a leg band on!

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
I wasn't sure if we had decided that Juni was a hybrid or not, I think we were still waiting for him to color up... but I wonder if his breeders thought he was a cherry head, and thus put the wrong leg band on him?

I've heard of some cherry heads as big as 200 grams, and I've definitely seen a few that were larger than 160 grams! Mitred conures can apparently range from 180-300+ grams (pudgy! Ever seen Pudgy Wudgy?)

He definitely seems to have the "red throat" of a mitred, but appears to be coloring up more like a cherry head, and with the size of a mitred. Between my two, Noel (RIP) was a lighter green and red than Charlie is. Noel's red was all one color, but Charlie has a darker patch of red right above his nostrils. Would be great if you could find out more about Juni!

Also hoping his leg heals up well, to the point that you don't notice he ever had a leg band on!
I did some research and I know he's a hybrid because of his appearance. He has red wing bends, which is absent in mitreds, but they way his coloring has developed (the pattern) is like a mitreds. He's much too large, length wise, to be a cherry head, but he doesn't seem to weigh enough to be a mitred. He does seem to have a lighter, cherry head, shade of green. But he has the dark red patch above his cere. Everything points to a hybrid so far. Plus, it is VERY common for people to accidentally cross breed mitreds and cherry heads because they get mixed up so much. But I'll be interested to see how his color keeps changing over the years. He's almost 3, so he might still have some more color coming in.
I'm pretty sure his breeders thought he was a mitred, because they sold him to the pet store as a mitred.
His leg is pretty much healed now. I can barely see the mark. It should be gone in a week or so. :D

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Actually, I've noticed that the amount of red can vary depending on the birds.... Noel had *a lot* of red on his wrists where-as Charlie has red at his shoulders and at the bend, but only a small amount.

I've seen some cherry heads that didn't have any red at the wing bend, oddly enough.

Cherry heads are rarely mistaken for a mitred, so I'm half wondering if he might be either Finsch's or Wagler's hybrid... considering size, I'd lean towards a finschs hybrid more. Both have less red on them than mitreds do, with waglers being as large, if not larger than mitreds, and finsch's being smaller like cherry heads. Hard to say for sure without the parents, but he sure does have a lot of red on him!

Hideaway Farms Aviary

I haven't studied the wings of the finsch's and wagler's all that much, though it does appear as if waglers have more red than finsch's.

Glad to hear he's healing up well!

Status
Not open for further replies.